Forte ll separating foam on passive radiator

jbohlscheid

A repair question with regard to the Klipsch Forte ll passive radiator.

A section of the high density foam on the external part of the passive radiator is separating from the basket/spider. It appears to be lifting the cone material up. The portion that is separating is about a 3-4" arch and lifting up about 1/8". The cone is in good shape. Can I give it a shot of glue under the separation and clamp it down or is this the sign of a general failure and requiring a full replacement (not what I want to do)?

Thanks, JCBOHL

On 10/16/2023 at 9:34 PM, jbohlscheid said:

A repair question with regard to the Klipsch Forte ll passive radiator.

A section of the high density foam on the external part of the passive radiator is separating from the basket/spider. It appears to be lifting the cone material up. The portion that is separating is about a 3-4" arch and lifting up about 1/8". The cone is in good shape. Can I give it a shot of glue under the separation and clamp it down or is this the sign of a general failure and requiring a full replacement (not what I want to do)?

Thanks, JCBOHL

23 hours ago, Khornukopia said:

@jbohlscheid   Yes you can brush on a thin layer of glue and apply pressure. Place some wax or parchment paper between the cone and the form fitting clamp, so the clamp doesn't stick to any glue.

23 hours ago, OO1 said:

the foam is deteriorating ,  best to replace it 

@jbohlscheid  I do not see the picture showing the area of your concern. Can you attach a photo to this thread, so I might see and form a better informed observation?

Here are some photos of the section separating, as is and with gentle clamping to original position. From closer inspection, the foam is separating internally where the layer glued to the basket is attached and just above it is pulling away. Difficult to photograph. I may try to glue up, but as mentioned by OO1 (or is it 001) a full replacement may be required. Jeez, I was hoping to get this project buttoned up today...new caps, new inductor, sealing...now this. What we do for our music enjoyment.

IMG_20231020_114636141 2.jpg

IMG_20231020_114527437.jpg

IMG_20231020_114513010.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Khornukopia said:

From what I can see in your picture, it looks like some proper glue should fix the problem. I would place a board under the clamp jaw to spread out the clamping pressure.

According to Randy in another thread, this a fabric or paper pleated surround and NOT foam. Looks like a fabric surround to me. Just glue them both (two passives) and go for it. They should work fine just being glued. You should be able to tell rather easily once you have them back in place.

You gotta love repairs that are actually pretty easy to do, just take a little time.