Velodyne HGS18THX Ultra 2

BT Audio

5 hours ago, OO1 said:

it's that old

Yup!  I wouldn't count on the amp working for too much longer... So I would just base the value mainly on the cabinet and the speaker and if the amp dies, you can replace with a comparable plate amp, or dive with an external power amp. 

Although, I do have great things to say about Velodyne's amps - I have 4 Velodyne subs that I bought used that are all around 20 years and they have no issues...yet!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Iteachstem said:

Yup!  I wouldn't count on the amp working for too much longer... So I would just base the value mainly on the cabinet and the speaker and if the amp dies, you can replace with a comparable plate amp, or dive with an external power amp. 

Although, I do have great things to say about Velodyne's amps - I have 4 Velodyne subs that I bought used that are all around 20 years and they have no issues...yet!

So......you've had great luck with Velodyne subs, and have great things to say about them, all 4 of yours are around 20 years old and still going....but you think this sub's amp won't last much longer? Interesting.

22 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

So......you've had great luck with Velodyne subs, and have great things to say about them, all 4 of yours are around 20 years old and still going....but you think this sub's amp won't last much longer? Interesting.

For the sub being very rare, I have not seen one for sale in a long time. Cabinet looks to be in excellent condition. Plus seller says he has the remote. 

28 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

What's your issue?  Just looking to get under someone's skin today?

I bought all 4 of mine used when they were all well over 10 years old and they all worked without any noise, etc.  I'm sure there are many out there that didn't make it that long and gave up the ghost a little early.  Therefore, I am not saying all Velodyne subs will go 20 years. However, I think when you start getting up there in age, the chances of amp failure increase exponentially. So, I personally would base the value taking that into consideration.

I've had mine only for a couple years after buying them on the used market and have been lucky not to have any issues.  This is a great deal better than the handful of Klipsch subs I bought both used and new( 4 sw 15's, 1 sw12, 1 rsw10, rt 10, sw 8, 2 sw 10's and I'm sure several others that have slipped my mind) and MOST of them developed amp issues very quickly.  The only sub that didn't have an issue was the RSW10... although that kind of did because the volume knob stopped working correctly.

30 minutes ago, Iteachstem said:

What's your issue?  Just looking to get under someone's skin today?

I bought all 4 of mine used when they were all well over 10 years old and they all worked without any noise, etc.  I'm sure there are many out there that didn't make it that long and gave up the ghost a little early.  Therefore, I am not saying all Velodyne subs will go 20 years. However, I think when you start getting up there in age, the chances of amp failure increase exponentially. So, I personally would base the value taking that into consideration.

I've had mine only for a couple years after buying them on the used market and have been lucky not to have any issues.  This is a great deal better than the handful of Klipsch subs I bought both used and new( 4 sw 15's, 1 sw12, 1 rsw10, rt 10, sw 8, 2 sw 10's and I'm sure several others that have slipped my mind) and MOST of them developed amp issues very quickly.  The only sub that didn't have an issue was the RSW10... although that kind of did because the volume knob stopped working correctly.

No issue at all. Your post just seemed a little odd, you should read it again. 

What I got out of it was....I've had wonderful luck with all four of my Velodyne subs, and I don't have anything bad to say, but this particular one won't last long!

On 11/8/2023 at 5:38 PM, Ceptorman said:

No issue at all. Your post just seemed a little odd, you should read it again. 

What I got out of it was....I've had wonderful luck with all four of my Velodyne subs, and I don't have anything bad to say, but this particular one won't last long!

I hear you.  I guess what I was trying to say is that I am somewhat impressed that all of mine, at around 20 years, are still going strong.  Kudos to good amplifier design and quality parts.  However, even the best parts eventually wear out.  As the sub in this posting is exactly 20 years old, I feel the asking price of this sub is priced much too high, as I wouldn't expect to get another 20 years out of it.... 

In addition, there are much better current options for the price. For example, a pair of SVS SB-3000's could be purchased new for less than this used sub.  And, you are guaranteed to have it work for at least 5 more years with their warranty... and hopefully many years after that as well.

1 hour ago, Iteachstem said:

I hear you.  I guess what I was trying to say is that I am somewhat impressed that all of mine, at around 20 years, are still going strong.  Kudos to good amplifier design and quality parts.  However, even the best parts eventually wear out.  As the sub in this posting is exactly 20 years old, I feel the asking price of this sub is priced much too high, as I wouldn't expect to get another 20 years out of it.... 

In addition, there are much better current options for the price. For example, a pair of SVS SB-3000's could be purchased new for less than this used sub.  And, you are guaranteed to have it work for at least 5 more years with their warranty... and hopefully many years after that as well.

Yes I agree, that opening price is ridiculous. They won't get 1/4th of that price. I do remember hearing good things about that sub, but that was a LONG time ago.

I hope Klipsch sells a lot of their new 16" sub. I'm sure they will sell a few of the heritage suns coming soon also. I think their faulty amps are in the past.

13 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

Yes I agree, that opening price is ridiculous. They won't get 1/4th of that price. I do remember hearing good things about that sub, but that was a LONG time ago.

I hope Klipsch sells a lot of their new 16" sub. I'm sure they will sell a few of the heritage suns coming soon also. I think their faulty amps are in the past.

As for being a very rare sub, yes its 20 years old. There is a guy in PA that repairs Velodyne sub amps. He is in my option the best. with a 2 year warranty.