cornwall question

hightone

HDBRbuilder

My cornwalls were built in 78.

When I pulled the tweeters I don't remember any protection. Are we talking fuse or maybe fuse wire.

My quess is we both don't have protection except the diaphrams themself.

My quess(and I hope I'm wrong) is he is going to blow the Heresy's tweeters inside the cornwalls.

Simply Speakers only work on K-77's. They will not work on 77M's. They said they can not get good replacement parts for them and to go to Klipsch direct.

Danny

I'm stupid and can't lift anything

Yes I am also worried about blowing the tweeters from my hereseys if I put them in the cornwalls. I have only tested it for long enough to see if they worked in the cornwall but have decided to wait to see if there could be any other possible problems before doing anything longer.

One thing. I thought I had heard a small noise from the tweeter when I hooked it up. I could be wrong the speaker was not hooked up to an amp at the time. Could this be possible?

thanks for the replies so far.

I agree, it's got to be one of two things, either a bad rebuild or a short-circuit... It really shouldnt be clipping as that would imply very loud music / sound effects. Are all the wires and contacts nice? When you say you heard something, was it during installation, or removal?

High,

put the tweeters from the heresey's in the cornwalls. If they blow at least you still have brand new ones in the heresey's and you know that thae problem is probably with the cornwalls. I'm not buying into the whole blowing them because you have a 200wpc amp. If you are not cranking them then no prob. I crank the piss out of mine all of the time and I have only blown a tweeter once, and that was because of stupidity. I would check your crossover wires to make sure the wires are good and that the signal path is good. If there is some bad wiring it can heat up the tweeters and fry the coils especially with an amp that will give it what ever it will need to run such as your 200wpc unit.

EJ1.gif

I dont pretend to have much knowledge about this subject but I do know hightone just cant crank his system at all. What part of your response is from the dope from hope articles. By the way hightone I had my first visit from our local Law Enforcement agency regarding the rumbling, although I imagine you may have heard it also. i just do not understand how a system never pushed to clipping blows speakers and mine just keeps on singin,

I dont pretend to have much knowledge about this subject but I do know hightone just cant crank his system at all. What part of your response is from the dope from hope articles. By the way hightone I had my first visit from our local Law Enforcement agency regarding the rumbling, although I imagine you may have heard it also. i just do not understand how a system never pushed to clipping blows speakers and mine just keeps on singin,

Cranked,

My SECOND post in this thread was based upon the following "Dope from Hope" issues:

1. Vol.7, No.5. Blown Tweeters, dtd June 1966

2. Vol.13, No.1. Fuses for Loudspeakers, dtd Jan 1973

3. Vol.13, No.2. Speaker Destruction, dtd June 1973, revised Nov 1973

4. Vol.16, No.1. Amplifier Ratings to Drive Klipsch Systems, dtd Jan 1977, revised Nov 1980

"Oh Ye of Little Faith"...look em up if you don't believe me! LOL!

BTW, in the last of these articles the Cornwall is listed on the chart as being able to produce 110 decibels in a 3,000 cubic ft room with a power amplifier RATING of 57 WPC RMS...and 115 decibels with an amplifier power rating of 180 wpc rms(all of these while allowing peaks of 10 decibels higher)...BUT...this was achieved with a SINGLE CHANNEL speaker...and the article also states "for two channel stereo, power can be DIVIDED EQUALLY between both channels."...meaning just 28.5 wpc rms RMS amp rating and 90 wpc RMS amplifier rating for the before mentioned decibel measurements in that size room when powering two Cornwalls in stereo. The last article also states:

"Operation with amplifiers rated from 1 to 5 times the continuous rating of our systems is permissible, if extraordinary means are taken to insure that the long term power capacity of 100 watts is not exceeded. Protection means would include: fusing, low-frequency high-pass filtering, power limit protection circuits, and good user judgement in preventing accidental overload conditions."....."The official Klipsch recommendation is still to use amplifiers rated at no more than 100 watts per channel on our systems, but that deviations are permissible in some circumstances for the knowledgeable user if he wants to suffer the consequences and be liable for the results! So--watch out!"

Sounds pretty simple to me...100 watts RMS per channel power rating of the amplifier section is the maximum to be used!!!

So what do you think ? If I use a lower power amp it would be safe to put the tweeters from my hereseys in the cornwalls while the cornwall tweeters are out for repair? The last thing I want is two pair of smoker tweeters.

By the way I ditched the Anthem amp and picked up a Jolida 302b w/sovtek EL34 wxt tubes. I heard this was a good place to start for a first time tube experince. I guess there are also many mods that could keep in the fun for a while.I also picked up a roksan kc1 cd player witch right out of the box was a big step up from the toshiba sd 5700 dvd player I was useing as a cd player also. Right now I hooked them up to the hereseys and it sounds great. but I am itching it try it out on the cornwalls. Its to bad I got home late with the amp I could not turn it up very loud at all.

peace out on the good foot!

Well I went ahead and put the tweeters in the cornwalls and have had no problems and they sound fantastic thru my new system. At 50 w / per chanell I turn it up about a third of the way and it is plenty loud for my small place.

Now I hope I have no other problems. I miss home theater with out the hereseys now. Ya just cant have everything can you.LOL

2 Chanell system

Jolid 302b

roksan kc1

Home theater

Marantz sr 7200

toshiba sd 5700

Cornwall Front

Hereseys Rears

RF3 II Center

Boston pv 1000 sub

Catch ya on the flipside

I have been puzzling over this one since I made my first response. I wonder if perhaps there is a problem with the amp you have been using ? I ask this because up until your last response I assumed that you were using the A & B connections on a 2 channel amp and I was therefore puzzled by the fact that the Heresys kept motoring along while the Cornwalls were toasting tweeters.

Your comment about HT adds an entirely new dimension to the story. Assuming that the Heresys are used as the rear channel speakers on an HT amplifier they would not typically be seeing nearly the power that the fronts are getting and more importantly they would be being powered by a different set of internal amps than the Cornwalls.

Just a thought.

I admit that I should know this and will attempt to find out but do the Heresy and Cornwall use the exact same tweeter ?

Hi Mike

I haven't forgotten you the book will hopefully be heading your way tomorrow ! I apologise for the delay but I currently have the Schedule From Hell.

I checked the specs and the Cornwall and the Heresy both use the K77-M tweeter.

I can't honestly say whether the Heresy and the Heresy II use the same tweeter but I would expect that they do.

So how much is too much? does 105 mean 105? These are probably pretty stupid questions, but now I'm a liitle scared. Until yesterday, I had Marantz MA-500s (125w) running my Cornwalls, but because of this thread I've switched back to my Carver CM-1090 (100w/ch) integrated amp. It's a bit warmer, more tube-like - which I like (Bob Carver's reference amp was tube, and he pushed for that sound from all his amps), but its clarity isn't quite the same. - close, but not quite.

Anyway, is 125 too much?

Mark,

Most of our automobiles have much more power than we use in everyday driving just as many amps have more power than we use. In automobiles we want this for longevity and durablilty and I think this could be applied to amps. Continuous power available from an amp is a number which has little practical meaning. We never listen to continuous power from an amp. Music is dynamic. One vinyl record company still in business advertises a theoretical dynamic range of about 75 db. I believe CD's are capable of more range than that. This means if one has a recording to reproduce which has a dynamic range of say 30 db and you want to hear both the softest sounds and the loudest, that takes lots of power. In this case (unless I miss my math on this) if it takes 1 watt to hear the softest sound, it then takes 512 watts to faithfully reproduce the loudest. You may take much less than 1 watt to hear the softest but I think you get the point. Remember that these power peaks are very brief and a relatively low power amp can briefly output large peaks much higher than its continuous output rating. Also your Cornwalls can briefly stand much more peak power than its continuous rating. That spec is 1000 watts peak for Cornwalls.

Bob