Amplifier for La Scalas (AL5)!

Bhai

So I am considering getting a Prima Luna:

https://www.primaluna-usa.com/integrated-amplifiers

I was thinking of the Evo 200, but a bit tempted to stretch a bit for the Evo 300 mainly because it has an output for a subwoofer. I feel down the line I would love to add one, but really not sure right now. Now my main questions are:

1 - There's no good way to connect a subwoofer to the Evo 200 right since it doesn't have an out?

2 - Do you get the bang for your buck in moving from 200 to 300 in general? I have very little technical knowledge. But I feel since I've spent so much on the La Scalas, I don't want to 'cheap out' on the amp. So what's your take? Does the 300 take the experience truly to another level compared to the 200?

3 - Please suggest other brands to consider! I'm out here in India so brands like Decware etc are simply not available, but I could easily import it myself.

Very eager to get your insights!

You could buy a subwoofer with speaker level inputs and outputs. These subwoofers usually have speaker

level inputs and outputs so you would connect the LaScalas to the subwoofer's speaker level

outputs.

You could also run TWO SETS of speaker wires from your amp; one pair to your LaScalas and the other pair to

your subwoofer. See below for why this is possible.

Or, if the subwoofer of choice has only speaker level inputs as some do, you could connect them to the

B pair of speaker outputs on your amp. These inputs should be high impedance so they won't strain your

amp, but with this connection method it will dictate your choice of amp as you'll need one with two sets

of speaker outputs.

• Like 1

Before purchasing a subwoofer and later regretting it, take a moment to read the discussion about the upcoming Heritage horn subs this summer. Unique horn subs will be released that are expected to be the best match for the LaScala. The price is still unknown, but they likely won't be cheap. However, in terms of sound performance, this is likely to be the best choice.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Peter P. said:

You could buy a subwoofer with speaker level inputs and outputs. These subwoofers usually have speaker

level inputs and outputs so you would connect the LaScalas to the subwoofer's speaker level

outputs.

You could also run TWO SETS of speaker wires from your amp; one pair to your LaScalas and the other pair to

your subwoofer. See below for why this is possible.

Or, if the subwoofer of choice has only speaker level inputs as some do, you could connect them to the

B pair of speaker outputs on your amp. These inputs should be high impedance so they won't strain your

amp, but with this connection method it will dictate your choice of amp as you'll need one with two sets

of speaker outputs.

No need for 2 sets of speaker outputs since the wires can be paralleled on one pair. 

Hi guys thanks so much for the response! I guess there are ways to connect a subwoofer without having a separate output... And yes most definitely will wait for the hornloaded subs! :)

Also please advise on the different models of Primaluna! 100, 200, 300 - is there much to gain by spending more?

And how does Decware compare to Primaluna? Any other brands you'd suggest?

Edited by Bhai
  • Like 1

I own several amplifiers and have had the chance to try out others as well. This is entirely my own experience and opinion based on my music style and taste. I absolutely prefer tube amplifiers, preferably SET. I currently own two Decware amps, and both perform exceptionally well, with the Taboo sounding more pleasant to me than the widely discussed Zentriode.

I also have two 300B SET amps, and while they sound great, I still prefer my 2A3 Pushpull amp. The 300B, to my ears, has a bit too much warmth/bloom combined with the AL-5. The 2A3, although initially sounding slightly less grand, offers a cleaner sound, more air in the music without losing musicality.

If you appreciate a clear and dynamic sound, I highly recommend the Melody brand. Unfortunately, I don't have experience with Primaluna.

5 hours ago, Flevoman said:

I absolutely prefer tube amplifiers, preferably SET. I currently own two Decware amps, and both perform exceptionally well, with the Taboo sounding more pleasant to me than the widely discussed Zentriode.

I also have two 300B SET amps, and while they sound great, I still prefer my 2A3 Pushpull amp. 

So which is it? SET? SEP (Taboo)? PP DHT? 😉

Just joking with you.

Taboo original version, II, III, IV?

The IV being designed for headphone use isn't quite as good for speakers as the earlier versions IME/O. I had an original Taboo and prefer it over the triode strapped SE84UFO amp; would have kept it but I had too many amps and it bothers me to have pieces just collecting dust.

Completely agree with tube amplifiers (of all types, well designed of course) for the win.