What movie to watch

Bruinsrme

I own PEARL HARBOR for the same reason...great bombing scenes. I just wish it was better...of course I can always watch TORA! TORA! TORA!

I rented BAND of BROTHERS - it's expensive to buy and I'm not sure I would watch in again for years.

I struggle with selecting movies to buy (other than kids movies) because I watch them once. There are some demo material and some comedy that have great scenes but I just don't use movies frequently over the course of a year. I tend to watch them and return them. Years later I can rent them again.

It's great to have some movies but I worry that if I get started buying all the movies I like then I'll end up with a library as big as the thread which has a ton of great films...how would I determine which 10 to buy (~$150 just for 10).

See my Top 5 Comedy List in the DVD board and you'll the awesome recommendations would fill another book case.

Regardless, I'm still buying at a modest pace (and renting too)...kinda an impluse thing.

TELL ME ABOUT THIS MOVIE:

Amelie

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 1/30/2003 1:19:16 PM tripod wrote:

My God people, what is wrong with you?!

How did it take until Colin's post for the Matrix to be listed.

That movie deserves full credit for the success of DVD's and should be in everyone's personal library, even if you don't like it.

Just my humble opinion.
1.gif

I also agree with most of Colin's list, but the Matrix should be #1 out of respect.

If you need a movie that your wife will like, but is still fun with your home theater, the Titanic fits the bill.

----------------

I figured The Matrix was a given.

2.gif

----------------

On 1/30/2003 4:35:25 PM SteelerFan wrote:

A couple of weeks back I watched Minority Report and thought it was awful! Last week I watched The Bourne Identity and that was terrific! I'll end up buying that.
16.gif

----------------

Interesting... I too was disappointed with Minority Report but enjoyed Bourne Identity. I like Vanilla Sky better than Minority Report to compare two Tom Cruise movies.

SEVEN was good as was 12 Monkeys.

I rushed to see "THE WALL" the day it was released...I guess it never lived up to my expectations which really weren't that clear other than I loved the lp from the day it was introduced. I'm not really bashing the movie but I'm not really interested in buying it or seeing it again.

I would like to buy the ROGER WATERS LIVE IN BERLIN version of the wall. I really liked THE BAND's contribution as well as Sinead O'Connor's singing of "Mother" . This I would like on DVD but I think it's only on tape.

----------------

On 1/30/2003 7:35:39 PM bruinsrme wrote:

Ok I am probably going to get harassed for this one but Moulin Rogue is a fantastic movie, the costumes and music score are both great.

Any one watch ALiens DTS?

----------------

This is where NetFlix.com is shines. You can read how some viewers hated a movie like Moulin Rogue and other loved it. Usually they will say enough why so that you can tell which camp you are in. I haven't seen that movie but I've heard pros and cons. The best example is "EYES WIDE SHUT". It gets either 1 star or 5 stars...nothing in the middle.

I saw the Aliens at the theater...I have access to the box set but it hasn't made my priority list.

I probably should go watch movies or other things instead of chatting on the forum :)

There are alot of very good suggestions in this post. I've seen many of the movies listed here, but still got a few suggestions to try out. Ditto for Netflix.com for trying out DVDs. Also I'm in the camp that really enjoyed "Eyes Wide Shut". I particularly liked the way the piano was used in building suspense.

One I want to check out (probably through netflix) is "Rock Star". Even my wife who doesn't care much for hard rock/metal enjoyed it on HBO. I just watched "Bridge On The River Kwai" the other night and had forgotten what a classic it is. I had seen parts of "Band Of Brothers", but not the whole series on HBO and was very impressed. Can't wait to get ahold of the DVDs and hear it in 5.1. Another WWII DVD on my wish list is "Midway".

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions.

----------------

On 1/30/2003 7:06:34 PM kjohnsonhp wrote:

Interesting... I too was disappointed with Minority Report but enjoyed Bourne Identity. I like Vanilla Sky better than Minority Report to compare two Tom Cruise movies.

----------------

I too thought Vanilla sky was a great movie, I had a friend over too watch it and he was totaly confused and freaked out by it.

Being something of an action movie fan I also really like "Kiss of the Dragon" with Jet Li as well as "The Enforcer"

Oh yeah, The Matrix rules. I don't know why I don't own it yet. For me the best part of the superbowl was seeing the new Matrix Reloaded trailer which is available for download on the matrix website.

Peace, Josh

Hey Lew,

Eyes wide shut is definitely not on my list. While I was working for Intel in New Mexico watch the movie in whole twice and caught bits and pieces on several occassions. Too darn freaky for me.

Rock Star is a pretty good flick.

I just finished watching The Matrix. Good movie, Trinity kept me interested, the effects were awesome and the bass was tremendous.

Being a drummer myself what is the best drum solo, Rush YYZ?

Two comments on EYES WIDE SHUT and two different opinions...you really roll the dice on these types of movies unless you know which camp you think you will fit before hand.

For rock movies "This is Spinal Tap" is an all time great comedy.

I'm gearing up to buy and watch THE GODFATHER for the first time on DVD and the first time this millenium. It seems like I watch at least the first two about every 5-8 years.

I've enjoyed a lot of B&W films --especially when I was swapping receivers and when a couple weeks without an AVR. During that time I watched nothing but old movies with weak sound tracks.... Hitchcocks are always fun. Citizen Cane on DVD plus the documentary on Hearst was great. I even watched some of it again with commentary.

I also enjoyed the more recent B&W film (compared to Citizen Cane) Manhattan by Woody Allen which is sending off to watch a string of his movies again...now the question is should I buy them? Sleeper, Everything You wanted to Know about Sex, Annie Hall, Hannah and Her Sisters to name a few.

I've been viewing my 007 DVD box I got for XMAS which always is fun. One night I just watched a string of opening scenes followed by the music and artwork with girl Silhouettes.

Anybody have any recommendations for live concert DVDs that are well recorded. I have Two Against Nature: Steely Dan's Plush TV Jazz-Rock Party and Depeche Mode Live in Paris. I have others but for the most part the sound is not the quality that I'm looking for.

bruinsrme:

Onr of the best drummers right now would have to be danny carey from tool. Whether or not you like the music you must applaud the great drumming. Pick up or download a copy of anema. Eulogy is an amazing song.

Anyway if you haven't seen it 150 times on TNT take a look at The shawshank redemption. One of my favorite movies of all time.

I haven't been too thrilled with DVD concerts...even on Netflix.com very few get good user reviews.

The Diana Krall - "Live in Paris" is an exception that I and many others seem to like.

I enjoyed listening to the Peter Frampton Live in Detroit DVD concert but visually it could have been Rafi.

I've always liked Stewart Copeland's drumming and on a less technical scale Grant Hart's high speed contribution to the Husker's wall of energetic sound. Of course I like all the obvious classic drumming from Bonzo, Moon, and Pert which were a big part of their band's sound...and not really the same band w/o them. I don't really want to hear the 70's 15 minute drum solos from the live lps, though.

and then there is "wipe out"

The shawshank redemption excellent movie. I think I have seen it at least 10 times. But The Hunt for Red October is by far my favorite movie and believe it or not my wife.

After 15 years of Submarine Service the best sub movie is still Das Boot, hunt for red october, U-571, K-19 the widow maker. Being a Missile Submarines I can appreciate the story behind Crimson Tide but having a dog on board a sub ruined the movie all together.

elgrillo,

good call on Danny Carey of TOOL. My favorite drummer. FYI, he's starting a side project with Les Claypool of Primus and the legendary Adrian Belew of King Crimson and Frank Zappa fame. Plus, we're getting a live Tool DVD soon! Yippee!

On that note, 'NIN: and all that could have been' is one of the best sounding concert DVD's I've heard. The DTS version is amazing.