Cornwalls with Scott 299A and C

Kudret

I wish it was possible to see who is replying to whom ...

at times it is confusing.

Anyhow, my Cornwalls are in the basement on a suspended hardwood floor. Until now I have not paid attention to wire/interconnects/etc. Cables between the CD palyer and Amp are gold plated RS A/V cable.

Yossarian, I see your logic here but it doesnt hold with my listening experience. Spending ducats on some of these upgrades can and does bring better results, just no always. One of the cheaper tweaks I have recommended is getting the best outlet you can. While some are quite exhorbitant, others like the Pass & Seymour Outlets are inexpensive. The use of hospital grade outlets mainly is to get a BETTER CONNECTION as they are VERY tight on the plug. I always upgrade my old outlets to the Pass & Seymour at the minmum. Look for good copper contacts and a solid grip. I have found this does make a difference in sonics.

And dont write off some power conditioners, especially for source components. I dont ever advocate using conditioners with power amps as I have found they too can add some compression and a loss of air. Using a quality conditioner on source components does help depending. Installing a 20amp dedicated circuit in your house for your audio gear is even better.

Dont be too quick to judge the madness quiotent. As for Clipped & Shorn, he is Mad all on his own - He has never been the same since falling asleep in the bass bin while the Afro-Cuban jazz comp was on endless repeat... heh.

kh

I used to think the power condition stuff was probably just fluff... until I noticed that when I turn off a flourescent light in the kitchen closet I can hear a soft "tschk" come from my cornwalls which sit in the adjacent room (my amps are always on). I must ask myself what other crap are other electrical components pumping into my cornwalls? (no, I'm not being sarcastic this time).

Mace

dean you genius, you are soooo right! placing them in corners does have a negative effect on the god old corns, mine have so much character, personality. they do however need time to be learned, balanced to the environment. they have a different sound than reference for example much fuller, an grand production. at first i think i may have had the same response, they are not as directional as reference, they seem to fill the whole room? what is that i asked myself? plus they were in conflict with my reference series surrounds and centers, so i placed them in 2 channel and walla, after a day or 2 i listened to no other set up 2 channel all the way, and that "loose bass" i thought i was hearing? no no no i have discovered that i was listening to a more manufactured bass before, what i now hear is natural, powerfull, deep. i even cut my sub out of the equasion except for ht. if i had to prioritize things in my life, it would be my son, than my corns, than everything else12.gif

marksdad,

I believe you hit the nail on the head there. Most people are so used to the digital/SS bass combo that they need to relearn what bass really sounds like !! Of coarse I'm sure some folks don't care and just want the unrealistic tight bass and that there choice. Its pretty hard to recreate the heavy metal and rapp music of today with vintage speakers and amps this music is very synthetic and digital by nature !

Didn't you have a few vintage amps you were working on ? To be honest I have a hard time keeping the names on here straight with the real life names of the people I deal with. If it was you that I was helping out on the phone with biasing there amp. I found those same test points that were installed in your amp and started using them on my bias mods. Just thought I would say thanks for the Idea !! Let me know if I can help you out further with that amp !

Craig

Looking at Alan's riser design, what is the theory here?

If I better understand the idea it will help me in designing my own version.

why the metal? why the sand? would a thick slab of marble do the same?

My corwalls have the factory built "risers" and these units sit on carpet. Would they benefit from these additional risers. What modifications for my situation?

c&s

"I built my riser frame from solid walnut (3/4" x 2")and then screwed 1/8" steel sheet metal to one side with silicone caulk as a sealer.  I then FILLED the riser with sand and screwed and glued another piece of sheet metal to the other side.  I then screwed cones to the botton of the risers and placed them in cups on the floor.  Each riser weighs about 60 pounds!  The Cornwalls then sit on the risers."

The reasons behind my design are simple.

First, I wanted the risers to look like simple walnut risers so that they would blend with the Cornwalls and the decor in my room. I wanted them to be really HEAVY but appear small and light.

Second, I wanted something cheap and DIY-friendly. The biggest pain was going to Industial Metal Supply and having the steel cut to order. And it really helps to have a drill press for drilling and countersinking the steel plates (about 100 holes total I think!). The steel was about $35, the walnut about $30 and the sand was maybe $5 or so. Throw in a 100 screws, a tube of silicone, some semi-flat black paint for the steel and some gunstock oil and you MIGHT spend $80 or $90 or so on the whole project not including the cones and cups.

I am sure that a big chunk of granite or marble or stainless steel or WHATEVER would work just as well, but it would surely be more expensive.

Casting some bases out of concrete would be a good cheap alternative, but making them look good would require some tools and techniques I don't have.

Your best avatar yet, CS.

As for the sand, steel, and points from Allan, they are all there to add MASS, resonance control, and coupling for more defined bass.

Ironically enough, I didnt like my Cornwalls on cones which is counter to all my other speakers which are either on sand/shot filled stands with spikes into the floor or spiked towers. For various reasons, I opted for pieces of cork under my Cornwall risers.

kh

Corwall platforms: marble, cork, or sand filled box with metal plate. How to I decide? Did the cork do something for the bass response? Do you mean like that thick cork they use for bulletin boards? What do you think a piece of marble would do? How about a steel plate sitting directly on the carpet?

PS. I was an electron in a past life.

c&s