Foreplay kit cost

Erik Mandaville

Hi Tony:

You CAN build one of these! You must understand that it is as easy as following a recipe for beef stew! Once you know how to solder (just try it, and you'll see how simple it is), all you do is follow the steps in a very well written construction manual. It's kind of like a 'paint-by-numbers' affair, where you're told exactly what needs to be connected where. check off each step as you go along, and you'd be done in a couple of days, if not sooner!

I'm more than happy to help any way I can, from building to testing voltages (that's where you have to be a bit more careful), etc.

Erik

thanks erik, I may try it. I also had seen the rozenblitt preamp, many people seem to comment baou tbruce the person but I have heard nothing bad about the preamp. super transparent, they say. I will wait to deal with the pre-amp issue until after I have installed and listed to my new SET amps. like it or not, I have to admit that all components have a sound and I want to know what I will be loooking for in a preamp's sound beofre deciding. I suspect the foreplay, or jean francois's pantheon, or bruce's all sound quite different. regards, tony

I've seen the Bottlehead forplay and heard it. They sound very nice and are about as simple as it comes to put together. Once you practice your solder skills its a easy build I thought about buying one soon. I just wish I could find something with a phono stage also !! They want more for there phono stage then there preamp !!

Craig

Craig, that Cary SLP-70 for sale that I listed in another thread is a GREAT full function preamp. It is the real sleeper and better than Conrad-Johnson and Audio Research options I have tried. It uses Octal 6SL7/6SN7 tubes with a 12AX7 phono stage. It is one of the best full function preamps I know in the $600 range. The Foreplay is a neat little piece that has an excellent path of upgrades too. Bottlehead also has a phono stage available finally. I think Mark Hardy has the Bottlehead phonostage and is getting ready to build with time. Though, iF you do want a full function pre, I cant recommend the SLP-70 highly

For some pics and comments with a review in the manual pages:

http://www.progressive-engineering.com/sale/cary_slp70_details.htm

kh

No, that preamp in the page WAS mine. Ironically, I sold it to a friend of Jean-Francois' who is using it with JF's Plitron 300B SET amps and Lamhorns. HE liked it and decided he wanted to move away from the Loesch preamp and give this a whirl. You see the result.

This SLP-70 is actually for sale on Audioweb - I found it while perusing online. I dont know the owner nor do I know which version it is exactly. You need to drop him an email. See this link for contact info. Also, notice there are different versions of this pre. Let me know what he says:

Cary SLP-70 ad via Audioweb

kh

ps- I just wouldnt pay the asking price, however.

I checked out that bottlehead web page and i think i've got enough tube stuff coming , at least for now anyway.

But that straight 8 speaker kit looks intresting, now with my love of woodworking something like that would be right up my ally. Anyone acually hear one assembled ?

I was thinking " maybe " it could make a good rear sound stage for my HT set up, once i remove the k-horns from the front and replace them with my lascalas. Original plan was for some RF-7's but they might be a waste sitting back there.

ANY THOUGHTS ?

Dale

I've heard 2 sets of Straight 8's at audio meetings in my area. Although many like them very much, I prefer horns with tube equipment. Maybe try some Pi speaker kits. You can find their web site on www.audioasylum.com .

I use Klipsch Cornwall with my tube equip. They do it for me.

RB