Heritage IVs - Klipsch Veener Protective Finishes?

For the walnut veneers, it looks like my speakers have no applied finish (i.e., Varathane, Polyurethane, Varnish, Tung Oil, etc.).  I don't know if this is the norm or something that Klipsch expects the 'end consumer' to apply or to avoid in its entirety.  I see an old post back in 2010 of someone trying to restore their damaged veneers, but nothing about any recommended finish for newer speakers.

Thoughts? 

1 hour ago, Jive talkin said:

Renaissance wax great stuff a little goes a long way

Thanks for the tip as I never heard about this wax/brand before.

So far, I'm only seeing very high marks for this product + the YouTube reviews seem to be equally as positive.

Just in case, I'm going to test-try it on some of my smaller/walnut pieces first before I consider using the Renaissance Wax for my speakers.

6 hours ago, Kinst VonSterga said:

For the walnut veneers, it looks like my speakers have no applied finish (i.e., Varathane, Polyurethane, Varnish, Tung Oil, etc.).  I don't know if this is the norm or something that Klipsch expects the 'end consumer' to apply or to avoid in its entirety.  I see an old post back in 2010 of someone trying to restore their damaged veneers, but nothing about any recommended finish for newer speakers.

Thoughts? 

As far as I know the current Heritage Finishes have a Lacquer based protective finish.

Page from the manual recommends only dry cloth for cleaning.

miketn

IMG_5566.thumb.jpeg.f4f145c84771f7ca331541ca84a4a0f1.jpeg

• Like 1

Jive Talkin,

Thanks again for your recommendation. In the past, I've tried finishing waxes by Minwax, Briwax, and Howard's feed-n-wax, though I would not recommend these products to anyone, let alone for a Klipsch speaker, as their performance was less than stellar when applied to various furniture projects of mine (ranging from cherry to walnut).

Either way, I received the container of Renaissance Wax today and applied some to an inconspicuous part of my speaker (its underbelly, which is veneered). The end result looks absolutely amazing, and I was able to finish both speakers in just minutes.  Again, I am very pleased with the end result; specifically the hand-feel + semi-satin finish that the Renaissance Wax produces after a quick/light buffing. 

The only problem I experienced when purchasing a 200ML container was that only a fraction of this product was actually used.  Like you said, "a little goes a long way".  I also tested it on some hairline scratches on one of my walnut credenza as the scratches disappeared on contact, so I guess this will be my next/quick project to complete. My only curiosity is how the finish will hold up over the long haul, but if this is a go-to product for museums, I'm guessing that it will perform well over the long haul (without any need for reapplication).

Cheers,