TV Streaming Devices

YK Thom

Good morning all, I am considering either upgrading my Apple TV 3rd gen with a new one or perhaps adding a Roku Express. Currently I use the Apple for viewing Prime and as a wifi antennae for streaming Prime music from my den computer (next room). My receiver is not capable of processing 4k all though it has a "pass through". I'm not sure what that even means. The receiver, Marantz SR5008 does not have the new 2.0 and 2.2 HDMI (it has 1.4 I believe).  Would one of these new devices work with this? The old Apple was the last model they put out that cannot have new apps added to it. The new ones seem to be able to as does the Roku. Anyone have experience with the new units?

28 minutes ago, YK Thom said:

Do you plug it into an HDMI port in the back? I hadn't even considered on these. It doesn't look like it has an Ethernet connection though.

I have it connected to an HDMI input on my receiver, connected to my home WiFi.

• Like 1

What I'm hoping to do is run something through my receiver. The way I have things hooked up I don't think I would be getting any sound if plugged into the TV itself - unless the Arc would deliver the sound. I'm not very informed with these things. The Apple TV has been plugged in since 2014 - I notice the number of application options shrinks each year. With the gen I have new ones cannot be added. I believe they can with Roku. I made an error the other day and bought a 50% discount Paramount sub. Unfortunately this means I cannot sign into it through Prime or Apple, unless I buy another sub through them which I won't. Rookie mistake.

20 minutes ago, YK Thom said:

What I'm hoping to do is run something through my receiver. The way I have things hooked up I don't think I would be getting any sound if plugged into the TV itself - unless the Arc would deliver the sound. I'm not very informed with these things. The Apple TV has been plugged in since 2014 - I notice the number of application options shrinks each year. With the gen I have new ones cannot be added. I believe they can with Roku. I made an error the other day and bought a 50% discount Paramount sub. Unfortunately this means I cannot sign into it through Prime or Apple, unless I buy another sub through them which I won't. Rookie mistake.

I’ve found ARC and eARC to be very buggy and always prefer to plug sources into my receiver.

• Like 1

Have you tried a Roku? I do know the Apple works well but we really aren't in the Apple environment. I find their universe is a little too sealed and proprietary for my tastes.

I'm going to do some digging on these Firesticks, I like the sounds of their processing power for digital files. I didn't realize they would do 24bit/192kHz high res audio. That is pretty decent and matches my Marantz's capabilities.

1 hour ago, YK Thom said:

Have you tried a Roku? I do know the Apple works well but we really aren't in the Apple environment. I find their universe is a little too sealed and proprietary for my tastes.

I'm going to do some digging on these Firesticks, I like the sounds of their processing power for digital files. I didn't realize they would do 24bit/192kHz high res audio. That is pretty decent and matches my Marantz's capabilities.

We have a cheap Roku TV in our main floor living room.  I had a Roku box a while back.

The Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K and 3rd Gen Fire TV Stick support high res audio.

• Like 1