Cornwall IV - to go SET or Class A?

aperfectcircle

1 hour ago, Deang said:

Man, I remember this rabbit hole. 

I don’t agree with your generalization of push pull sound Henry.

Same with SET. Different topologies just sound different.  

And neither is inherently superior in all things audio... Same with the tube versus solid state cliche's.

It's sad after all these years all those same cliche are being spewed all over the poor audio consumers...

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Schu said:

Hey Craig... can the NBS be modified to Balanced input outputs if I am only using one or two inputs? I am just curious

It could be if you could find someone to go to the trouble. For me life is to short to spend it chasing needless endeavors.. do you plan on using extremely long IC's

On 1/17/2024 at 8:42 AM, NOSValves said:

It could be if you could find someone to go to the trouble. For me life is to short to spend it chasing needless endeavors.. do you plan on using extremely long IC's

it's not a big deal... everything in the signal chain is xlr and the only part that isnt is the nbs,

What is xlr sources? I don't get why retail electronics started including xlr? Completely unnecessary for 95% of listening rooms. Seems like just added expense with zero real world advantage. At least to me.. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NOSValves said:

What is xlr sources? I don't get why retail electronics started including xlr? Completely unnecessary for 95% of listening rooms. Seems like just added expense with zero real world advantage. At least to me.. 

I am sure manufacturers use them because the can not guarantee all applications of usage fit within your or my vision for implementation.

In as far as usage in my signal chain, all my equipment use xlr and some REQUIRE xlr so there is potentially a point where one end is xlr and the other is single ended.

Like I said, it's not that big of a deal.

Oh I understand... What gear are you using that only has xlr or has an issues with using a xlr to single ended adaptor? 

Besides don't you know single ended is inherrently superior to anything on the planet regardless of situation😁😉

4 hours ago, NOSValves said:

Oh I understand... What gear are you using that only has xlr or has an issues with using a xlr to single ended adaptor? 

Besides don't you know single ended is inherrently superior to anything on the planet regardless of situation😁😉

For my UJ I use a Yamaha SP2060 Xover/DSP. It has cross coupled output stages. It is not so easy to connect a cable from its XLR output to the RCA input of the power amplifier. There are solutions. But the best solution is a transformer. So, sometimes there are situations that are not that simple.

• 2 months later...
On 1/16/2024 at 3:39 PM, henry4841 said:

When a class A/B amplifier leaves class A all depends on how the designer biased the amplifier. With a diyaudio.com SS class A/B amplifier called the Honey Badger, designed by all the talented members from all over the world on that forum, I biased mine slightly higher than normal for it to never leave class A with my horns. Remarkable sounding SS class A/B amplifier by the way with multiple output stages.  I will agree with our speakers, who normally never leaves the 1st watt window, most all retail class A/B amplifiers will operate in class A unless pushed very hard. Different story with conventional speakers depending on their efficiency rating.

As far as single ended class A operation it is still considered the purest form of amplification due to the fact the audio signal is not manipulated in any form such as being split into with the positive side of the waveform amplified with one circuit and the negative phase amplified by another as in a push pull amplifier then joined back together to drive the speaker. SET tube amplifiers who all are operated in class A are not everyone's cup of tea for sure being sound is so subjective but the form of amplification I like best. More entertaining to me even though it does have some 2nd harmonics. 

Our hobby is not kidney dialysis but entertainment as Nelson Pass says. Nice to be able to choose. I have many class A/B amplifiers I switch in and out of my system for variety that I enjoy very much. It is between SE and PP amplification one can hear a distinctive difference in sound. I do enjoy them both with my preference being a SET tube amplifier. Single ended with some 2nd harmonics vs PP with a more sterile sound, cleaner as many will say, with very low distortion numbers. Nelson Pass has said he intentionally added some 2nd harmonics into some of his PP SS amplifier designs and they sold very well.  

As I have said before I believe every serious audiophile should have one of both. A single ended amplifier and a push pull amplifier. Both are available in SS and tube amplifiers though SE SS amplifiers are not that common. I only know of them in high end audio. Most all SS amplifiers are PP amplifiers unless you are talking class D which is going to be the amplification form for the masses in the future. 

On 1/16/2024 at 7:28 AM, aperfectcircle said:

I did write a reply but something must have gone awry!

I have ended up with the Willsenton R300 and couldn’t be happier.  I was strongly leaning to the Cary, as I’ve been very keen on going to a simple 300B amp.  The R300 is stunning, right out of the gate with no hours on it.  Even my fiancée had an immediate reaction of “this sounds much better” though in comparison to the Bluesound.  The sound is big, three dimensional, and vocals sound sublime.  Bass is fantastic too which was a big worry.  I actually think the R300 beats the PrimaLuna I had, at least in some areas, but considering the price it’s a killer and I don’t think I’ll be looking to change for some time (tube rolling notwithstanding after getting some serious hours on the stock kit).

I have only hear great things about the Willsenton amps.   The build quality looks excellent as well.  Congrats.

On 1/17/2024 at 8:31 AM, NOSValves said:

The rudeness (if that is what you want to call it) comes from having to put up with the same old worn out cliche that SET amps (which In reality from what I have read from you so far your are not even using) are some inherently superior amplification device when in reality the reverse is the truth. The fascination with SE amps in your case is very inticing because they are so very flat out simple to build. {cheap too} So a less talented DIYer like you can be successful at throwing one together and satisfy your ego! Building a "QUALITY" push pull amplifier that is versatile playing any musical type without strain with the ability to still have the finesse to play 3 peice jazz now that takes talent. 

Your comment about PP sounding like SS isn't a rude comment? It's rude to both tube amplifier designers and solid state amp designers which many awesome examples of both exist.

Face it you are like reading something that has been written a thousand times..... It's hard not to be rude. Besides I really thought for me I've been nice to you... I'm like Paul Klipsch when I read BS I call BS... 

Little education for you 

SSSS stands for Single as in one single output tube

EEEE stands for Ended  meaning again one final output tube

Here is the important one

TTTT stand for Triode and usually directly heated for the utmost in euphoric sound. Which with the REAL set crowd means tubes like a single 45, 2A3 or 300B along with few uncommon others.. not Tetrode and Pentodes strapped in quasi triode mode.

It also usually means zero global negative feedback which is another misleading catch phrase since most them employ feedback just not off the final output of the amp which limits them from correcting errors derived from the output transformer.  Than you factor in most of you DIYer are using bargain basement mass produced iron from the likes of Edcor and Hammond. Well sorry to say much to correct with those! 

The proper name to call amps like you seem to be using is just SE... 

Oh and I've done a lot more around here than just sell PP amplifiers. Sorry you missed it all! 

Forget it I give up! This is boring. 

Lighten up Francis!