RC 64 Center Channel first version

KenMD

I have two RF-83 speakers and a first generation RC-64 powered by a Marantz 7015 receiver. Sometimes the dialogue from watching Netflix and Prime doesn't sound clear. I have suspected the center channel speaker in the past and upgraded from a Denon 3803 to the Marantz and it seemed to get better but now I am not so sure.

Any comments would be appreciated.

@KenMD,

Welcome to the forum.

Part of the problem is Netflix and Prime, as well as other "TV" networks.  

At one time I did feel the only culprit was my RC-64 until I added a more neutral sounding amp(Acurus A200x3) to the mix.  A little EQ with my NAD T175HD pre/pro and things became clear as a bell.

Bill

12 hours ago, wuzzzer said:

Very unlikely that the speaker is defective.  There’s lots of settings in your receiver that you’ll want to mess around with to tailor the sound to your liking.

Exactly what settings are you referring to?

1 hour ago, KenMD said:

Exactly what settings are you referring to?

Things like dynamic volume, dynamic EQ, anything along those lines.  Generally when you disable anything like that things will sound better.  Also, it might help to increase the center speaker output a couple dBs.

I checked and all the settings such as equalizer, dynamic sound, etc and they are set to off.

I guess my question is the RC-64 III a step up or about the same as the RC-64, the speakers are about 25 years old, I purchased them new. I just bought a set of the RP-6000F II's for my son for Christmas and I was quite surprised how good they sound.

If the speaker sounds fine with DVDs, then it's the broadcast medium. They may be broadcasting in

an audio format your receiver is not set to, or it could be your internet provider changing the stream

to fit bandwidth limitations.

If it sounds poor on either medium, is it the always the same program, multiple programs, or all programs?

Maybe there's a Netflix or Prime forum where participants have similar problems and explanations.