Klipsch La Scala purchase with Mid and Tweeter driver issues

Silly question, and I hate to bug specific people via PM, but is the AL-3 a direct drop in for the AL?  I had planned to simply unhook one and hook up the other, but then I read something about a woofer capacitor for the AL-3 being separate and in the woofer box.  That can't be right?

1 hour ago, Mycuff said:

Silly question, and I hate to bug specific people via PM, but is the AL-3 a direct drop in for the AL? 

Yes.

Make note of what is connected to what when you unhook the AL. Then simply connect the AL3 the same way.

XOs installed.  Had one bad solder joint causing the woofer to cut out.  Now working great, no thanks to the sellor who did an absolute crap packing job.   Also, found an alternate for the brittle orange gasket for the squawker.  Ace Hardware.  Outer diameter is 2 1/4 but inner diameter was spot on.  Maybe just a bit thicker.  Cut with scissors, not pretty but took like 20 seconds so whatever.  $3.50 each. And yes all three holes are the same size.  Its an optical illusion.

gaskets.jpeg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Deang said:

... Sounding pretty good I would imagine. 

Yes, all seems to be working fine now.  I know many folks think the AA networks sound better at lower volume, and these do sound better the more I turn them up, but based on my listening habits the AL-3 is the right choice for me.

It’s the right choice because of the drivers you are running. If you want the sound to be a bit more crisp and detailed - replace those 40 year old capacitors. Be sure to use their modern factory equivalents.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/18/2024 at 11:59 AM, avguytx said:

I own a pair of JBL L100T's, also, that have been modified to T3's.  They are great sounding speakers and do a lot of things right...and definitely have more bass.

I just upgraded my JBL XOs to T3s as well.   Not a huge change, although no real way to compare. They seem a little more refined, but more importantly are ready to go another 35 years.  A good reason to do the same for the ones in my La Scala. 

• Like 2