Need Help on Klipsch models.....Newby needing speakers

Mike16w

I am thinking about buying a pair of 12 year old Klipsch speakers. The stereo shop has one pair of Cornels (sp?) and one pair of Chour (sp? again). Which is a better sounding speaker for a small tube amplifier and will these speakers work with their backs near the rear wall. I have a small room and is this a good choice. Thanks for any help.

Mike

I assume what you are looking at is Cornwalls and Chorus. I am a Heritage type, so I really don't know much about the Chorus line. However, they have a large following.

Having stated my bias, the Cornwalls are a perfect match for tube amplification, and can be place against the wall...though, of course, your room acoustics may dictate placement.

I THINK the Chorus is significantly less efficient than any of the Heritage series.

Anyway, you should get a lot of response on this.

Dave

Dean - You are correct - maybe. The Cornwall I are less efficient than the Chorus by about 3db. The Cornwall II is 101 db efficient, just as the Chorus I and II are. The Chorus I share the same midrange and tweeter as the Cornwall II.

I believe, given the small room, you may find that the Chorus just fit better, as they aren't as wide so you could possibly get a bit better separation. Give them both a listen.

As mentioned, make note of whether or not there is a passive radiator on the rear of the Chorus, which indicates it is a Chorus II and may suffer from right-against-the-wall placement. You can get away, however, with about 4 inches behind them.

DD