subwoofer driver in Khorn

I have a pair of Khorns and a pair of Belles. Since both use the same drivers, I could replace the Khorns with the Belles as the main speaker. Then I could replace the bass drivers in the Khorns with subwoofer drivers and turn the Khorns into super subwoofers. The Khorn could remain in the corner where it belongs for maximum bass effect, and the Belles could be positioned one third of the way out into the room where the main speaker can produce maximum imaging. How's that for a tweak? 16.gif

First off, the parameters of the k33 is totally different than a speaker used in a subwoofer. The fs of the k33 is much higher. They do make a woofer ( industrial version ) used in the lascala's the k-43 which will handle more abuse and wattage, but instead trades off deeper bass for louder higher frequency bass.

The K-horn's, and any horn's, low frequency output is controlled by the length of the horn and the size of the mouth. The driver has relatively little to do with it. That said, the K-33 has been optimised by Klipsch over the years until it is one of the best bass horn drivers available. Nothing else will work better in a K-horn bass horn, and very few will work as well. If you want deeper bass than it can produce, you need to get some very large subwoofers. Look at the VMPS Larger Subwoofer like I use. It's distortion is similar to the K-horn and 2 will keep pace with a pair of 'horns. Somebody else makes what is called a servobass that can produce the prodigious output you will have to have. The Klipsch RSW-15 can the match output of the k-horns, but I suspect, from hearing it, that the distortion will be higher.

Both replys are right. You can't change the way a bass horn sounds that much by changing the driver. Most cases it will sound worst. Think of it as a tuba, the large low-pitched brass wind instrument. I don't care who you have blow in it, it's lowest note isn't going to be any lower.

I need a nail gun LOL!

I have plenty of bass stock!

Bi amp the k-horn, use a powerfull amp for the K-33-Es, theyll get more power, which will produce more bass!

As far as switching out, id say no, leave them stock!

The k-33s are pretty tough woofers!

If you use industrial woofers, or a subwoofer, of a different maunfacturer, youll need to run more power to get the bass your hearing now, this will defeat the purpose!

Regards Jim9.gif

DJK posted the following a while back.

-----------------------------------

A K33 is flat(in room)to 18.6hz in this design: Sealed rear chamber=9.2cu ft, vented front chamber=2.5cu ft, vent=8" dia by 14.75" long, F3(anechoic)=25hz~100hz, SPL=95dB, suggested dimensions (all inside measurements) :45"H X 16.5"W X 28.5"D This is the height and depth of a typical big screen TV and because of the narrow width does not look too bad.

-----------------------------------

Peace, Josh