Do you have a dual 2-channel, Home Theater Setup?

In my home theater, I have an Onkyo tx-rz740 that handles movie duties. Connected to the front Left and Right speakers is a Cambridge Audio Azur 851A setup in home theater bypass mode and a 5ch OSD amplifier powering my base layer. Has anyone compared a two channel integrated amplifier to an AVR using a two channel power amplifier connected to the AVR pre-outs?

I would like to move the Cambridge to a dedicated 2 channel setup. When I removed the Cambridge and used just the AVR to power my Klipsch RP 8000 the speakers lost some of the low-end grunt. I even connected to OSD amp to the pre-outs of the Onkyo and I still did not like the sound compared to the Cambridge. Has anyone experienced this, and what solution did you come up with?

Thank you for any advice. 

I have used an avr and integrated amp with pre-outs for HT and movies. As long as I am in the acceptable power range of the avr and or second amp, thing should pretty much sound the same. The power rating of the avr and power amp are close enough in your system, it should not be noticeable except at high volumes, maybe.

How thing are handled depends on the various connections.  If I plug everything like the BD, CD, etc. into the  TV, things are processed differently compared to connecting the BD, CD, etc. to the receiver. I have use the pre-outs with my 200 watt/channel Acurus amp and my 45 watt tube amps.

• Like 1

That's what I told myself. I checked my RCAs, tried the AVR in pure direct, and stereo with the crossovers for the front LR set to large. With spirited listening through the AVR the bass doesn't sound as deep.

I am hoping to avoid spending money on a amplifier for the AVR. 

If I understand your question, your asking if adding a dedicated 2 channel amp to your HT system will improve the 2 channel experience?  If that is what you are asking, I believe it could. I'd suggest something better that the OSD for the front 2, even the center, something along the lines of a 3 channel power amp near doubling the power capabilities of your speakers. I know Klipsch is efficient, but if your speakers have dips down to 4 or even 2 ohms with the low frequency, your AVR will struggle. 

Not all watts are created equal. 

• Like 1

On 2/13/2024 at 7:29 PM, Loudogp250 said:

When I removed the Cambridge and used just the AVR to power my Klipsch RP 8000 the speakers lost some of the low-end grunt. I even connected to OSD amp to the pre-outs of the Onkyo and I still did not like the sound compared to the Cambridge. Has anyone experienced this, and what solution did you come up with?

Thank you for any advice. 

I am not surprised you heard a difference. It is entirely possible that if you had replaced the Onkyo with a Sony that you would have also noticed some difference. Each component in the signal chain can have an effect on the final sound. The effect could be so small as to not be noticeable or so large that it completely changes the sound. 

I am assuming you want to move the Cambridge to a different room entirely? I ask because I see it has two sets of outputs.

Unfortunately, I think you are just experiencing the difference in synergy between two pieces of gear and I don't know if there is anything you can do to make the OSD or Onkyo sound as good at the Cambridge. 

Connecting playback devices to the system may also make a difference.  When playback device are connected to the TV(monitor), it runs the show.  When playback devices are connected to the avr(network receiver/HT), the avr runs the show.  The point is that the avr can decode more format than the TV.  

Concerning  more power, I have not seen where having excess power improved the sound quality at low or high levels unless the amp is under strain.  I use my low watt tube amp sometimes for HT.