Bi-amping an older Heresy

I can't make sense of why he's not doing a good job stating his case. The method he uses clearly made an improvement to the audible bass because he was able to add the desired amount. If one listens with headphones it's very obvious. 

I will try to explain, if you take a speaker with a passive x-o and a normal freq response that rolls off on the bottom and use bi-amping to boost the bass, you boost frequencies that don't need to be boosted. To some people it may sound good, cool, whatever for a while but the speaker will not sound balanced and most tire of it in the end. The Heresy woofer goes up to around 700 Hz, why boost all of those frequencies when they don't need it? It may seem to fix one problem, but it creates another one, whereas subwoofers integrated properly boost only the frequencies that need it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Idontknow said:

I can't make sense of why he's not doing a good job stating his case. The method he uses clearly made an improvement to the audible bass because he was able to add the desired amount. If one listens with headphones it's very obvious. 

I admit to not watching it all.

1. Did he ever show the board he's using to enable/disable HF LF on those speakers? & show what's enabled when he does the playback?

2. Did he show what is inside those Heresy where the wires are going to the crossover addition?

3. Didn't see either of the above & stopped playback. Doesn't pass the test for me

& did you read that I KNOW more wattage can improve H, M or L Frequencies?

I actually bi-wire my F-3s & have taken a lot of flack here over that :P "So What!" It means 60w to each woofer, 60w to each HF instead of 80 w per channel !

I believe firmly in one of Lou Reed's songs that has the line in it "Believe half of what you see, None of what you hear" (think that was his friend George) He was a skeptical New Yorker, I just grew more that way over the years!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

I admit to not watching it all.

1. Did he ever show the board he's using to enable/disable HF LF on those speakers? & show what's enabled when he does the playback?

2. Did he show what is inside those Heresy where the wires are going to the crossover addition?

3. Didn't see either of the above & stopped playback. Doesn't pass the test for me

& did you read that I KNOW more wattage can improve H, M or L Frequencies?

I actually bi-wire my F-3s & have taken a lot of flack here over that :P "So What!" It means 60w to each woofer, 60w to each HF instead of 80 w per channel !

I believe firmly in one of Lou Reed's songs that has the line in it "Believe half of what you see, None of what you hear" (think that was his friend George) He was a skeptical New Yorker, I just grew more that way over the years!

It looks like the stock white leads from the woofer run out the back of the cab, and I believe he basically says that in the video.

There is nothing in any of the McIntosh equipment he is using that would allow him to set a crossover point to 700Hz to roll off the excess highs from the woofer. 

I’m pretty sure he’s running the woofers full range out of his home theater receiver.

I think it’s a bunch of nonsense.

and I say this as somebody that is actively tri-amping their La Scalas. 

• Like 2