Has anyone heard a Yamaha C-5000/M-5000 combo with Klipsch La Scala AL5’s?

Smitty8451

Hello all

i have recently come across a very good deal on the above preamp and amp and am curious if anyone has heard this combo.  I currently run 4 different systems consisting of Luxman, Rogue Audio, and Elekit preamps and amplifiers.  As summer is soon approaching I’m looking at going solid state as they run cooler.  Don’t get me wrong I love my tubes but want something I can just flip on and listen in the summer months.  I have done very thorough searches in the net and can’t find any comments on this combo so I’m hoping any forum members may have this combo and provide some insight.

thanks in advance folks

M-5000 features low distortion up to 100 kHz,, stable at 2 Ohms @ 400 wpc ,C-5000 preamp runs on 2 discrete book matched circuit boards with 2 transformers  , the AL-5 will do just fine  

• 2 weeks later...

I have a A-S2200 integrated, so no experience with the 5000's. The upper end of Yamaha is Japanese high fidelity arguably at it's finest. Very happy with mine, and while it is not quite top of the line, it's close. 

The 5000's are not too common, as it's too expensive for some of us. But somebody out there must have them!

Did you pull the trigger? 

I’ve got this exact set plus some.  I’ve got the full 5000 lineup, two m5000s.  I think the goal of this line was to literally give you exactly what we heard in the 80s, so the c-5000 is super flat and I usually play my CDs and vinyl with treble and base all the way up with the ns-5000s.  

I’ve tried different configs and will probably try more.  I run my RX-A8A out to the c-5000 via ext direct, so I have full on/off and volume with Apple TV remote for everything.  The m-5000s are hooked to the c-5000.  Currently I use them to switch between the LaScalas and the NS-5000s.  I’ve played with bridging, but the dB boost from the LaScalas is too much for the rest of the Atmos setup.  The system is dead quiet, best noise floor I have experienced.  When I was playing around with bass EQ I did hit the whatever they call it Xmax excursion ring or whatever in the AL5 without bridging so the M-5000 is plenty powerful for those speakers.  With the SPL-150 sub and the AL5s I have couch shaking bass without ear bleed and the intelligibility I need for TV/movies.  Honestly the intelligibility difference is astonishing comparing the AL5s to the ns-5000s.  AL5s have that mid bass slam that wakes up your high school concert days, while the ns-5000s seem to more effortlessly dig a little deeper at lower volume, but in a different way, so I like both and enjoy switching them for music, however if I need intelligibility and big mouth midrange the AL5s reign supreme.  

If you want to max out the AL5s ala dance floor style klipsch has commercial high power 15” drivers if you want to go that far but for normal use the stock drivers are fantastic.

If I remember the M-5000s use up to 600watts each but I think it’s staged and while they are warm they aren’t cooking eggs at idle.  I think last summer I just used the RX-A8A amps for everything to save on a little heat.  So I’ve got my summer and winter config.  

One config I am planning to try is running my CD and phono through the RX-A8A so I can feed those signals through the PEQ and get those two channel signals closer to what I enjoy with Atmos content.  

I can’t say enough good about the RX-A8A though.  If I only had the C-5000 I wouldn’t actually know what the AL5s can do, but the pure 2 channel setup is still lovely and absolutely sounds like it should as a historical reproduction.  If you prefer a concert eq for some content you’re going to need something else with a PEQ in the chain, whether it is an AVR like what I’m doing, or something else.  My son drives cars with Xbox and cranks the bass and sub via iPhone and MusicCast.  So I’ve got the “new” sound and the “old” sound if that makes any sense.  

Highly recommend the Yamaha 5000 lineup with AL5s!!!  But don’t forget PEQ/room correction for modern content.  

2 hours ago, Buddy Shagmore said:

I have a A-S2200 integrated, so no experience with the 5000's. The upper end of Yamaha is Japanese high fidelity arguably at it's finest. Very happy with mine, and while it is not quite top of the line, it's close. 

The 5000's are not too common, as it's too expensive for some of us. But somebody out there must have them!

Did you pull the trigger? 

I tried but when I ordered them I was told they were not in stock and they were not sure when or if they would be getting more so I opted for a A-S3200 and it should arrive by early next week.  Thanks for the info as now I have an idea what to expect from the 2200’s big brother.

• Like 1

I have the CX-A5000 and the MX-A5000 - different beasts but definitely Yamaha high end quality.    I highly recommend these components because of the quality of the sound and the build quality.    

• Like 1

I too have a CX-A5200 paired with a 7 channel and 4 channel ATI amp(s), for movie watching there phenomenal, I’m looking for a 2 channel solution to relieve my tube amps of duty during the hot summer months.  Too bad the c-5000 and m-5000 are unavailable at the moment but I think the A-S3200 will work great.  I have installed that same setup for a customer who also runs La Scala’s (in his bedroom believe it or not) and after 50+ hours of burnin he reported it really opened up.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have it running La Scala AL5’s and now that it’s at about 25 hrs the unit is really settling down, at first I had to turn the Treble down and the bass up a bit using the tone controls, last night I zeroed out the treble and reduced the bass.  I had read prior to purchasing that the A-S3200 takes about 50 hrs to break in and it’s seems to be following that.  The one thing I really like about the A-S3200 is how quiet the noise floor is (the La Scala’s pick up everything) compared to my tube gear.  At max vol with nothing playing I can’t hear anything from the tweeter with my ear against the gril.  My tube amps, well that’s another story.  I have Rythmik Audio 15” subs also attached to the preout and it drives them very well, just waiting on the heritage sub release to finish my speaker end game (and upgrade the La Scala’s once Chief releases the upgrade kit)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1