Purchase advise POLL. Need help justifing expense. Be honest!

mmiles

I am not going to get into exact dollar amounts, dealships, websites etc. However I will share the cost differences in the speaker packages I have put together. BTW, I have listened to all speakers but only in PKG A and PKG D configurations in various stores during my business travels (always tell the sales rep, because I'm one myself so I respect their time, "just looking" or "out of town traveling and was killing some time can I play with your switcher") so I have a good idea sonically what I am in for.

PKG A = RF-3II / RC-3II / RS-3II

PKG B = RF-3II / RC-7 / RS-7

PKG C = RF-5 / RC-3II / RS-3II

PKG D = RF-5 / RC-7 / RS-7

NOTE: There are many more combos but let's stick to these unless anyone has a worthwhile suggestion.

Here is the math (please excuse some redundancy):

B is $495.00 more than A, $45.00 more than C and $450.00 (LESS) than D.

C is $450.00 more than A, $45.00 (LESS) than B and $495.00 (LESS) than D.

D is $945.00 more than A, $450.00 more that B and $495.00 more than C.

So what do you guys think? H E L P !!!

Regards,

Mike

Just my few dollars worth.

Wait one year (or however long it takes) and do 7's all around. That step up in mains will be worth the wait. You can live with the Synergys a bit longer to do this, right?? This purchase will last a long time, and speakers are THE purchase in an audio system. Do it right.

This is Klipsch. THINK BIG9.gif

Agree 100% here,speakers are THE most important investment in audio.And when you get Klipsch get the BIG Klipsch,Klipsch is not famous for compact speakers,P.W. Klipsch designed BIG speakers abecause BIG Klipsch speakers have huge dyanmic range and dont compress before your ears do.

At least go with the last system,but I would save a bit more and get the RF7's and not the little RF5's. 1.gif

I have two pairs of RF7's(mains and back sourrounds),RF5's are used as side sourrounds and a RC7 is the center.A pair of RB5's waits to be used as fron effects.And a few potent subs dig deep(RSW15 and Sunfire Sig in this group).

WIth the RF7's up front you have a near perfect match(same tweeter as the RC7).

Dont skimp on speakers,its the last thing to do.

I'd say for HT the biggest difference you'll for sure notice (in the choices you've listed) is going from the RC-3II to the RC-7. I'd recommend that center channel with any reference speaker set-up. I didn't spring for the RS-7's (too damn big) so I can't really comment on that. I agree with the others that the RF-7's are way better than the 3's or 5's, there's no comparison, but if you don't want to wait, definitely opt for a pkg. with the RC-7.

Maybe two steps:

1. 7's up front (RF7's + RC7 or HornEd's modified RF7 center idea)

* RS3's for surround (maybe even used or keep your synergies for now)

2. Upgrade the surrounds

If there is an ULTIMATE near you they have a 7.1 system w/7's up front, RS3's on the sides and RB's in the rear....it's a good demo for this question...just try modern movies like STAR WARS to put a good loan on the surrounds.

For the price of a pair of RF7's I found you can get 2 Cornwalls and 4 Heresys. You could start with Heritage on a budget and then resell them for +/- what you paid and then buy the all RF7 dream system when you get the money....or maybe you'll fall in love with Heritage.

Some like RF better and others like Heritage...the suggestion is made primarily from the perspective that it's a cheaper way to get that famous Klipsch sound and you can always get your money out of them assuming you don't get gouged.

Of course some (especially wives) don't want massive vintage boxes in their house...buying new thin towers may be the only option.

I got mixed recommendations (although mostly for Heritage) on RF7 vs Cornwall and $800 vs $1500-1900 threw the decision to the Cornwalls. I've assume I can sell them w/o loosing any money if I ever decide on something else.

It is a tough call to advise anyone on how to spend their money. Obviously one is looking for good performance to price ratio without overspending.

dnd's approach is similar to what I try to do. Take some time to build up a cash reserve and then buy something which will keep you happy for many years. This investment is one which you will enjoy for a decade or more. There is a lot of rationalization possible if you consider the benefit of the spending is a continuing one.

You might catch a clearance sale which will keep you quite happy. (Generally, older and bigger may be better than the newest stuff with increased prices forcing you to newer and smaller.)

You should also consider your own psychology. I've sometimes felt that I spent too little too early. it is sort of satisfying immediate technical greed. It is a real annoyance to have to upgrade in a few years to do things "right". If you have suffered that, then dnd's approach is one to be followed.

I don't want to advise on Heritage versus Ref. It just injects too many variables.

Gil

I agree as EARS and others have said speakers are a major part of your stereo and HT enjoyment (50-75% or more). Again I agree that the RF-7's do sound better than 3II's and RF-5 but here is the "rub".

S P A C E.

Presently one SF-2 is sitting on the hearth of the fireplace. Since my HT room and RPTV is a "corner" placement (nothing else will work based on room dimensions, location of one door and the bay window) one RF-X will have to remain there so the footprint of the RF-5 fits (RF-3II and RF-7 width are larger at 16.2/16", no pun intended but an extra inch and a half makes a BIG difference).

M O N E Y

This is a political thing. I realise this will be (hopefully) my stereo and HT speakers for the next decade like someone said but...

There is also the mortgage, kids college fund, my retirement fund, child support (thats right I am divorced, btw anyone have any sisters, friends or ex's that might be available?) and day to day living to contend with. This is relative to income but EVERY pocket has a bottom. Politically how do you tell your kids (2 boys) to buy the Nike or Reebok kicks that are $79 not $139 because daddy just blew his wad on new speakers? As you can see a tightrope of sorts financially.

What would really help is selling my existing Synergy speakers (SF-2/SC-1/SS-1/KSW-12) that are 15 months old (bought from Tweeters in Wilmington, DE 11/01) and a pair of Cornwall's that are about 16 years old (bought April 1987, Dealer out of business). This might be another post in itself...

Regards,

Mike