New to vinyl...help

robforst1

You should NEVER store them flat. I purchased some racks made by InterMetro for REAL cheap. They're available from The Container Store if you have one of those in your area. I also bought some plastic sheets available at any Lowe's or Home Depot to line the shelves with.

Rob had to go to Walmart to check out those stands so I'll jump in and take his calls:

Question: "Vinyl, what a great habit to pick up. Just curious Rob, how old are you?"

Well ol'Rob will be pissed with me but I have a story to tell on him !

11.gif

Rob came home from school one day and said: Daddy!! We studied letters today and I got a prize because I could say all the letters from A to Z and none of the others could get past M or T !!

Daddy said That is because you are a Robertson Boy!!

Rob came home the next day and said: Daddy we studied numbers today and won a prize because I was able to count all the way up to a hundred and them other kids could only count up to twenty three !

The next day Rob came home and said I won a prize in Gym cause I was able to run faster'n farther than the gym teacher.

After gym I went to take a shower and I noticed that my pee-pee was lots bigger than what all them other boys have ! Is that because I'm a Robertson ??

No Son ! That's because you're 37 !

Gotta Run Rob's here!

Never store them flat.

Store them in a vertical position.

Don't pack them side by side to tightly. This may cause the cover spines to break or deteriorate prematurely.

Always remove any shrink wrap to prevent warping.

Use sleeves that are acid-free & intended for "archival use" (don't throw out the original sleeve or any other stuff they put in there for collection purposes).

Don't use cabinets/storage that may contain materials that can, over time, be emitted as gases, oils or acids (as many paints & plastics do) & absorbed by the LP covers. You're looking product that is designated "archival quality" for sleeves & shelf liners etc.

If you can, keep them in a relatively uniform temperature & humidity environment, not too dry & definitely not damp. If the room they're in feels "humid" to you at any temperature, its too humid.

Make sure the storage cabinets/furniture is strong enough. This stuff can get heavy.

Generally follow the same rules that museums use for archiving documents & artwork/photos.

Remember, too, that vinyl needs to be cleaned to sound best and reduce wear. At the least use a record cleaning fluid and a quality brush. (Check out audioadvisor.com and musicdirect.com ) Plenty of articles on the web too if you google search. Real vinyl fanatics use record cleaning machines, especially good, I hear, if you buy a lot of used records. The stylus needs to be cleaned too.