Mercedes-Benz SL55 AMG vs. Porsche 911

Kain

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would go with that new carrera gt over the benz slr on looks alone.

It would be nice to see some real pics of the gt.

Nobody has mentioned any italian cars yet.

What about the venerable FIAT X1/93.gif

This is a car that almost any one can afford.

For the price of one of those expensive german cars you could have a different FIAT for every day of the month.

Peace, Josh

Kenny---It's sad that you think the quarter mile is lame, it's a great American tradition to race that way. When we get too "refined" to enjoy our own culture we're well on the way to becoming degenerate *****s. I expect this effete attitude from that frog-eater Ears but I'd have thought you'd be a little more of a regular guy.

As for mountain roads, well we don't have any in Illinois. In any case decent handling with big balls and talent go around the corner faster than the best handling car driven by a punk who can't hold his mud. And my young friend will probably go around corners in his kit-car faster than you ever will in any car. I've seen the kind of balls this kid has, brass ones, little fear of death and good driving skills too, he's a motorcycle racer and a good man up on the iron too.

As Liberty Valance said to Ransom Stoddard "Now what kind of man are you Dude?" :-)

----------------

On 2/13/2003 8:35:37 PM TBrennan wrote:

Kenny---It's sad that you think the quarter mile is lame, it's a great American tradition to race that way. When we get too "refined" to enjoy our own culture we're well on the way to becoming degenerate *****s. I expect this effete attitude from that frog-eater Ears but I'd have thought you'd be a little more of a regular guy.

As for mountain roads, well we don't have any in Illinois. In any case decent handling with big balls and talent go around the corner faster than the best handling car driven by a punk who can't hold his mud. And my young friend will probably go around corners in his kit-car faster than you ever will in any car. I've seen the kind of balls this kid has, brass ones, little fear of death and good driving skills too, he's a motorcycle racer and a good man up on the iron too.

As Liberty Valance said to Ransom Stoddard "Now what kind of man are you Dude?" :-)
----------------

I spent about 6 hours at the drag races During Hot August Night's, I had a grin on my face for the next week. 9.gif. It was only 1/8 mile because all the cars were too damn powerful for their own good, they didn't want people getting up towards 200 MPH, not enough room for a runaway area. It was 1/8 mile, so am I unamerican now? I also have a piston from a 454 BB as a coin holder. I guess I will be leaving for Quebec now 8.gif

Just because I like German cars doesn't mean I hate American Muscle, so...

Do realize that I was born in 1985 and grew up in the era of the K car, not the Muscle Car. They don't have any sentimental value to me (though I do like them a lot.) Right now, my generation is embracing 100 HP Civic's with $5,000 worth of wings, neon lighting, blue brake light bulbs, fart can exhausts, stickers, and fake NOS subwoofer. The retards at my school go out and fake race in the industrial parks and end up wrapping their POS cars around power poles. I want to drive for the next few years until I get good, then spend a few thousand dollars on some real racing school. I am interested in powerful, expensive cars that are tasteful. Porsche, Viper, Corvette, BMW, etc. Which would you rather me be interested in?

The GT1 is a sweet car for sure, but it's no road car. I would totally take the GT2 over any Benz. But the Carrera GT...ahh now that's an awesome Porsche... 1.gif

The C32AMG? Eh, looks better than the last C32AMG, but other than that I think it's overpriced. I'd much rather have a Audi S4 or BMW M3 Sedan.

No idea about the 928, what do you know?

I heard the nexr Porsche 911 will be the 997, I could be wrong, but 999 is kinda, well, yeah.

No turbo? Well, it is possible they will not make it for a few years until emmisions can be worked out. That is a big reason Audi switched the S4 from a twin turbo V6 to a naturally aspirated V8. It makes another 100 HP, though 9.gif. But, I have heard the next 911 COULD be a V8. I don't know how good that would be, as they need to save room, as we both know where the engine is 9.gif. However, if they had a well exicuted 4 liter V8 making 100 hp/liter, I would not complain. The current 911 is making 315 HP from 3.6 liters, so 87.5 hp/liter. The BMW M3 is making 104 HP/liter. So, Porsche, from what I know, isn't at the absolute cutting edge of HP/liter, so hopefully they can throw out some 400, 450 HP naturally aspriated flat sixes next revision. The GT3 will be 380 HP from 3.6 liters, so maybe if they can keep that up 1.gif.

I believe Porsche is coming out with a "new" 928. Supposed to be front-engine, RWD setup with a V-8. Possibly the one from the Cayenne. I must say the numbers for the Cayenne Turbo are impressive despite it's looks.

Yeah, the 999 is a bit odd. I wonder when they will have the the 996 Turbo Convertible. I thought that would have been out by now. I would love to find a 993 Turbo Convertible as they are such a rarity. More later...off to work

Kenny---Fast cars that are nice are nice but when I was young fast came first, I reckon I'm just an old fart. I'm not sure what my next car will be; considering the Mercury Marauder, Thunderbird or a Boxster S. I'm not sure but will probably go with the Bird, it's so kool. Driving out to Vegas in a Bird with the top down, now that sounds like fun. :-)

ah, that sucks the TT Conv may not make it all. I had assumed it would be in dealers by now. Still I'd love to have the 993 TT just cause I've never seen one around. I saw an M5 today and an old guy who was actually driving it hard. That was a pleasant suprise.1.gif

Tom: If you could get a 3, 400 HP V8 for $20,000, they would be very much appreciated today, but a American V8 (new) is basically a Corvette or Mustang GT. That is adult money. Muscle cars are just kinda forgotten about because of gas prices and costs, but if you have the money, they are around 2.gif. I'm just a little snob and want leather and AC with my 500 HP 9.gif

sj993: They WILL make them, but it could be a while. I would count on the better part of $150,000, a little pricy for me 7.gif. Figure, the first years worth is probably already deposited for, so it will be a while...

A 944 is $10-15,000. Even people who LOVE the cars say you will be spending $10-15,000 in the FIRST YEAR to keep it running. It's not that they are crappy, its just the fact they do break and they are very expensive and hard to fix.

Anyway, I have a $50 1:18 scale 996 GT2 in my room. It is very detailed, like the floor being carpeted, I am hooked to the car, though I would take a Turbo for the simple fact it is more managable and I could drive it in the rain, snow, ice, etc. without any problems. X50 turbo kit of corse ($18,000 option that takes the car from 415 to 450 HP, a few aftermarket mods and I will be pushing 500 HP)

Anyway, that is that 9.gif

Yeah, the 944's to get pricey just to get one in good condition that has been well maintained. Everybody knows Porsche's aren't cheap to fix. The parts alone are expensive and older Porsche's like the 944, are a pain to fix if something goes wrong. So the only way I would invest in one is if I had a second "daily driver" car and the time and money to invest in the Porsche.