Gee, I wonder what this sounds like...

Deang

Dean, why dont you make a passive preamp? It is about the absolute easiest thing in the world to make and it could be done in about an hour not counting getting the parts.

A quality volume pot, hookup wire, and two sets of RCA jacks with an enclosure. You could go to RS and have the stuff in 30 minutes (they even have a pretty decent ALPS pot). Or you could order some quality parts and have it done in 3 days. I would then keep this piece (that means NOT selling it) for times like this, and in comparison with other active gain stages. Seems the intelligent thing to do.

kh

m60.jpg

Better get to work converting these beasts to fixed bias, Triode Wired! Heh....

passive1.jpg

And dont forget the passive pre! Always have around for a backup and to compare

to your line stages. They can do well depending. I have had at least one on hand

since the mid 80s and it has really come in handy in reviewing gear and works WELL

in some systems (and is always an interesting comparison).

kh

I seriously considered that Creek passive until Edmond came through for me. Edmond should shipping the Cary early next week.

For now, I have the Scott and Cornwalls keeping me company -- and they are doing very well for me.

Those two cans are 300's, and triode is certainly coming for these -- unless the stock configuration drops my jaw.