Help build a good 2 ch rig guys

Jalen01

Hi Guys,

I just about have my wife ready to bite on a new amp purchase. I've been reading\researching all I can on the best bangs for my buck types. I Guess I'm looking for what everyone looks for in a amp (Airy\Tingly Highs, Beautiful Mids, and deep clean bass. All with as much of a wide\deep soundstage and low level details as the amp can muster and be as musical and non-fatiguing as possible). The kick is I only have about $1000.00 dollars to spend on this amp. You Think I can find such an amp?

Here are the candidates:

1. (Scotts 299?)Been seeing alot about these Scotts 299?'s here in the 2ch room. Could be a cheaper option as well. But, I've never heard nor read reviews on the attributes of these amps. Would also have to find one, Buy one and send it to Craig over at Nosvalves for an overhaul....seems like alot of work. Craig You don't have any laying around ready for sell do you?

2. (McIntosh 7100 or 122) I've heard the 122 and c15 combo and loved them. I don't know if either of these amps can perform well without the c15 pre? I recently bought a 2505 from Audioclassics. But, I had to send it back, it didn't perform as well as I hoped.

3. (Odyssey Stratos) 100+ reviews over at Audio review all in the 5\5 range and seems to be right up my alley. This is the one I'm leaning towards!!!!

4. (Jolidia 302B) sounds nice per reviews....

System I have to work with:

Parasound 850 pre

Cambridge Audio D500SE Cd player

Klipsch RF-3II's

Paradigm Minis

Which of these would you get? Any klipsch owners ever tried the Odyssey amps? Do those Scotts posses the above attributes? Is there another option you would try?

Thanks all,

Jalen

You obvioulsy want to spend a grand on tube stuff...if it was MY grand...I would be getting a Harman/Kardon Citation II amp in excellent condition ($600+ on ebay)...and mate it to a decent tube preamp...and use my FM-3 Dynatuner for the tuner. If there was any money left...then I would opt to make a few minor upgrades to the amp...but these amps are REALLY nice to begin with! Note that the "II" is a two, not an eleven!!

Frankly...I kinda wonder why none of the other tube folks here ever mention these amps...especially since many are so willing to drop BIG bucks on other tube amps on a regular basis!

I really would like to try a decent Vintage or Non tube Integrated amp. But, I know jack when it comes to tubes....SS guy all my life. I would like to here some reviews on these (scotts or any other simular type set-up) Will they be Airy, Have Wide Soundstage (Layering effect & Decay of notes), Low level detals, Clean Mids, and have a nice clean bass???

Like I mentioned If Craig or Mobile Homeless or somebody had a good vintage piece that offered these attributes on hand for decent price I'd probably be willing to take it off of their hands. I'm scared of being burned by a Ebay or Audiogon type purchase.14.gif

Thanks and please keep any comments coming,

Jalen

Ah, the Harmon Kardon Citation II. I have owned two of these beasts over the years and as much as I tried to like them, I didn't. I have never heard at KT-88/6550 based amp that I like all that well, and that includes the MAC MC-60 (I could actually live with a pair of these if I had to), MC-75 and MC-275-- and you all know how much I dig vintage MAC tube gear. Plus, the Citation used some REALLY oddball tubes other than the KT-88s. And you would be hard pressed to find a good one for $600--more like $900 or a grand for a REALLY nice one--and if it has a quad of good GEC KT-88s in it you're looking to add at least $300 or $400 to the total.

The only amp I have that I'm considering selling is the imfamous EICO HF-81 at this time if interested let me know thru email.

As far as scoring a 299 it really isn't all that much work you buy one on Ebay and please send me a link before you buy so I can check the unit out. Then you have the seller send it directly to me and I to you pretty painless. There is always some percentage of gamble with all vintage purchases but it is a small gamble.

The Citation II is indeed suppose to be a top notch offering but would also require work and a preamp so I'm sure would bump it over his budget before the entire under taking was finished. I plan to buy one of them in the future myself.

Craig

For the 299A just go to search here on the forum and choose 2 channel and type 299A at the bottom of the least will come up Craigmiester 299A review

Also information on the 299 can be found all over this forum and the Asylum and the same can be said for the EICO HF-81 !!

Jalen01,

You are on the right track. Since you have the Cambridge Audio CD player, look into Cambridge audio Integrated amps. They use the interworks from Creek, which is a wonderful company. Cambrige for the money is well worth the time............. let me know what you do....bill