Looking at rear surrounds

roc2it

Down the road I want to step up to 7.2. I am very limited on space and the couch can only be moved forward maybe a foot. Looking at the 600m's, 600 m ii's, or 502s ii's. I am really liking what I read on the 600m ii's. But they will be right behind the couch. Would the 502s ii's be better in this situation. I am heading towards 2 atmos speakers next year. Let me know your thoughts please.

20240423_134725.jpg

You already know your room setup is not the ideal situation you see posted everywhere.  It may be difficult to get an educated recommendation.

You may want to find a dealer(s) who has a liberal cheap/free return policy and buy the 600m ii's and the 502's.  Try both and return the losers.

• Like 1

4 x 8000f's and a KV4. Al run off Adcom 200 watt per channel amps. I am about 16 feet from the center channel and the room is 22 foot wide. Listening area wide though is about 14. Got 2 more channels ready at 200 watts for the rear surrounds. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, roc2it said:

4 x 8000f's and a KV4. Al run off Adcom 200 watt per channel amps. I am about 16 feet from the center channel and the room is 22 foot wide. Listening area wide though is about 14. Got 2 more channels ready at 200 watts for the rear surrounds. 

Trust me, you’re not going to be using anywhere near 200 watts with speakers inches from your head.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, roc2it said:

Not certain that anymore speakers are needed with this answer.

You may want more yet, you are covered. Although you are rich in Adcom watts, not needed with these efficient speakers. Saying this, do watt you like and want.

Alright now...

On 4/23/2024 at 2:55 PM, roc2it said:

Down the road I want to step up to 7.2. I am very limited on space and the couch can only be moved forward maybe a foot. Looking at the 600m's, 600 m ii's, or 502s ii's. I am really liking what I read on the 600m ii's. But they will be right behind the couch. Would the 502s ii's be better in this situation. 

Do not get bookshelves with a horn and put them 3" from your head, it will suck in all kinds of different ways.  Get the RP-502S II or if you want it to be the most correct for Atmos with direct radiating monopole speakers, get the RP-500SA II and run it in surround mode.  

So here is the problem. I was told that it should be directional. I hate that I am getting different answers. I was going to get the monopoles but most said that was a bad idea. I am getting more confused as this goes...