Parasound amp (1205A) questions & problems

DrPyro

Hi everyone.....

I recently purchased a Parasound 1205A from an authorized dealer, it was a dealer demo. I have had several problems with the unit and would like to get your opinions. I have been slowly making the switch to separates partially due to the fact I got a great deal on a new ACT-3 from an authorized dealer. However, it was dead on arival and was immediately sent for repair to klipsch. Anticipating the return of the ACT-3, i started to hunt for a amp, and I found the Parasound 1205A. So, until I get the ACT-3 back, I have been using the 3801 as a pre/pro to the Parasound. I have made some custom Canare cables for interconnects. Things ran smoothly for a while, and now problems started popping up that have caused me to really scratch my head, so I'm hoping that someone here might be able to shed some light on my problems.

Problem #1: When listening to DD/Stereo or anything I sometimes get a crackle out of several of my speakers (not at the same time). It sounds as if it was getting a full signal part of the time, and then only getting a fraction of the signal, plus mix a bit of crackle. The most notable and repeatable problems have come from Channel #2 & #5 (but it also occurs on Channel #1, Channel #3 & #4 are fine), I have been able to do some tests to verify that it is the amp and not any other part of the system. (cable swaps & such). So, i decided to take apart the amp to see if I could visually inspect the amp channels to see if I could identify any broken parts. On Channel #5 & #1, i noticed that the wire running from the RCA inputs to the channel electronics was rubbing on the board of another channel (Channel #2) and had worn off the wire insulation, but the wire seemed okay. Channel #5 was more worn and had worse crackle problems. So I used some electrical tape and covered the bare areas. However, I was not able to identify any problem spots on Channel #2. However, it hasn't solved the problem, it still crackles. . So, could I have 3 bad channels??? Very annoying since I just purchased the amp, yes dealer demo...but still.

Problem #2: Sometimes when I'm listening to the TV (via Analog output) and sometimes to DVDs (digital coax), the sound will cut in & out like the previous problem, but on all channels. This occurs on both my HTPC and DVD player. This is what got me to think that I might have a more serious problem then just few bad amp channels. I really have not been able to reproduce the problem, it just seems to come and go and switching between DSP does not fix the problem.

So could it be that the Klipsch speakers are not putting enough load on the amp causing problems? Or could it be that there is an impedance mismatch between the output of the Denon and the input of the Parasound? What else could cause the problem, any thought from anyone??? I'm baffled so any help would be appreciated.

-Dave

Normally, you would want to post questions like these in the "Trouble shooting room".

But, If I had a guess where your problem would be. I'd say it's in either your electronics or your connections. Unless you have a blown driver somewhere in the mix. Your speakers should be able to handle from 5 -150 watts depending on your speaker models.

A quick fix would be to get some decent but not too expensive Radio Shack, AR or Monster Analog cables to connect your pre amp outs of your Dennon to your parasound. Get a new Digital 75ohm coaxial or Optical cable from the above companies to connect your Dvd to your Dennon (Make sure it's long enough to connect the two without bending any corners etc... This Bending and Pinching of these Digital cables can Damage them and cause degradation of the sound.) Recheck your speaker wire + & - from your Parasound to your Speakers, make sure you don't have anything crossed. If you have those extra long "Spliced" wires running to your rears? Then you'll need to tighten them up, so that no wires are touching and wrap them up with some good electrical tape. Lastly, If you don't have a "Radio Shack Spl Meter" & Home Theater calibration Disc Going? I'd suggest that you get or borrow some to set-up your theater correctlly. (Note: I don't know how many watts your Parasound is capable of pushing? But you may need to back down alittle, to something like 60-70 DB's for your set-up. With My Rotel and Klipsch Ref 3 set-up I had to back way down in My Apt..)

If you've already tried some or all of these quick fixes then you may need start replacing some of your chit.....14.gif OUUUUUUUGGGGGH!!!! Maybe you could borrow some of your Family or Friends Electronics until you weed out this problem.

I'm Feelin' your Pain though......15.gif

Good Luck,

Jalen

I have a 1205a with 3802 and klipsch rf7's for about a year and have not had any problems.The parasound amps are very dependable,nothin is 100%.I would triple check pre/pro outputs/settings,can you hook up another source to the 1205a?I also have wires inside the 1205a that touch this or that,never been a problem even when on for 24hrs at a time.The amp should have a ten year warranty, but I suspect something else is the problem,I don't know why.Good luck!

Thanks for the suggestions, I had done several very extensive trouble shoot sessions and didn't want to type them all out.

When I first heard the problem, I immediately guessed that it was a interconnect problem. Yes, they are DIY, but I was very careful making the cables and I had never had problems with any that I had made before (I'm a very ANAL Engineer; things must be done RIGHT and CAREFULLY). After switching the "suspect" cables around and the problem channels didn't alter with the new location of the DIY interconnect cables (I also tried some Monster that I had floating around), I determined that it was not a interconnect issue. SO, the next thing I did was flip around the speaker cables to verify that they were not a problem.

Jalen-

The first thing I did was calibrate the system. In fact, I found that the Parasound had better balance then the Denon Amps. Friends/Family that have better electronics the ME???? ROFL, most of my family is content on a $12 Walmart "boombox", if you can call it a BOOMbox! Needless to say family gatherings are TORTURE and as close as you could get to Hell on Earth!!!!

Fish-

Damn, you got me on that one. That is one thing I have not been able to try. BUT, my Upgraded ACT-3 is in FedEx's hands, and I should have it Friday so I can play with it to verify that its not a Pre/Pro problem (But I don't think that its the problem, see below).

John-

I got so pissed after fighting with the amp again for the past 2 nights that I just called Parasound. They instantly told me that its a known problem and they need to replace the relays! BINGO!! As soon as I got off the phone, I called the store that sold be the amp (a local authorized dealer). I was hoping that they would get me a box for it so I could send it back, since I bought it as a demo and they had tossed the box out long ago. Low and behold, the owner of the store answered the phone and I told him that I had recently purchased the amp at his store. He congratulated me on my purchase (hehehe), but I told him I was having all kinds of problems. He was VERY nice and helpful, they will be getting me a box ASAP and they will be sending it back for me! For any big audio purchases, I have always paid the extra $ and gone with authorized dealers. This is the first time that I'm VERY thankful that I have gone this route (plus it was a local dealer)

Anyways, I'm really relieved that its a known problem, and hopefully they fix it right the first time.

-Dave

I to have the 1205a and had the same problem, if it is an early model which it probably is there are deffective relays that will need to be replaced by parasound, do not take it to anyone else, after they fixed my problem the amp worked flawlessly, call parasound and talk to tech support and they will give you all of the details, they were very good in repairing my unit I had it back in a weeks time, good luck!!