Klipschorn - Possibly blown tweeter, midrange diaphragm

I recently acquired some 90s klipschorns. When I set them up ( I had it powered with an NAD C700), my current la scala's sounded a lot better than them.

So I hooked them up to my monolith 7x200. Sound improved but the klipschorn still sounds like its trapped in the box.

Turning up the volume definitely helps - it sounds better at high volumes. However, at these high volumes, there's a hissing sound coming from the midrange horn.

You don't hear it from the front (obviously) but if you're behind the speaker, you can hear it. I also don't think there's any sound coming from the tweeters. 

How do I fix this? Should I be looking for replacement parts? Where do I find them? Totally noob. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

On 5/3/2024 at 12:29 PM, hanksjim1 said:

please explain the current setup; are they tightly in corners?  What's your source?  You can test tweeter functionality with an OHM Meter.

All corners. Source is BluOs via the NAD

As far as the hissing sound- keep the amp on but shut off your source-CD, stream, MP3, whatever.

If the sound disappears, it's your source device. Try it with all your sources to see if it's isolated

to one or more sources.

If the sound remains even after all your source devices are turned off, then it's your amp, receiver, etc.

The reason you may hear the sound from the rear of the enclosure vs. the front is, the cavity of the enclosure

acts like a horn itself, amplifying the sound. Since  you don't hear it from the front, I don't see anything to worry about.

As to the tweeters, you could disconnect the wires to the tweeter (pay attention which wire connected to which terminal

so you can reconnect them properly) and put a voltmeter across the tweeter terminals.

It should read roughly 8 ohms. If they read a very high number or no number at all, they're toast.

You could then connect your voltmeter, set to AC volts, and attach the leads to the

wires you disconnected from the tweeter. A pair of clip leads really helps here.

Play some music and watch the voltmeter. It should bounce all over the place in response to the music. Watch the numbers

and turn up the volume. The numbers should go up. Cool, right? It means the signal is getting to the tweeters.

• Like 2

On 5/3/2024 at 10:51 AM, Trikxx said:

there's a hissing sound coming from the midrange horn.

You don't hear it from the front (obviously) but if you're behind the speaker, you can hear it. I also don't think there's any sound coming from the tweeters. 

How do I fix this? Should I be looking for replacement parts? Where do I find them? Totally noob. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

1st step is to get an Ohmmeter  , set the dial to Ohms ... tweeters are 8 Ohms /  mids are 16 Ohms  , take a reading directly from the positive /negative terminals of the K-77 tweeters and K-55M mids drivers ......post the results on the forum , this will tell us whether the diaphragms are in good working order or if they will require a replacement  .

2nd step , take pictures of the crossover 's monster style clear plastic jacket wiring , since these wires were known to corrode   and cause poor connectivity issues , post the pictures on the forum 

• Like 1