SUBWOOFER

RayCanales

well I have not heard either the SVS or the HSU but have heard from all you folks that they are great subs.

I currently own a Velodyne HGS 18 and it does a decent job in setup but Im thinking about upgrading to something a little faster all the subs that I have heard sound like farting underwater. just my opinion

I have a pair of Belles up front and want to place them on top of 2 of these boys.

I want to drive them with a 1000W Per Channel PA Amp Peavey, or something like that and I want your ideas.

anyway here is what Im thinking of getting for the belles

http://www.decware.com/wicked1.htm

----------------

On 2/17/2003 8:33:26 PM RayCanales wrote:

well I have not heard either the SVS or the HSU but have heard from all you folks that they are great subs.

I currently own a Velodyne HGS 18 and it does a decent job in setup but Im thinking about upgrading to something a little faster all the subs that I have heard sound like farting underwater. just my opinion

I have a pair of Belles up front and want to place them on top of 2 of these boys.

I want to drive them with a 1000W Per Channel PA Amp Peavey, or something like that and I want your ideas.

anyway here is what Im thinking of getting for the belles

----------------

RayCanalas is a salesman for Hsu, SVS, Velodyne and a DIY dealer!!!!! 9.gif9.gif9.gif

Sorry Ray I couldn't help myself.

~shoe

El Sinor Canales,

La revolution in da subwooferos is una grossa woofera.

ANTI VELODYNE! BURN HIM! BURN HIM!

LOL

Prepare two ropes,the other one is reserved for James "The PeeWee" Pheele.

You are lucky Canales,we will use two ropes to hang The PeeWee

Now where is the gas canister?

----------------

On 2/17/2003 11:50:28 PM RayCanales wrote:

so you guys think that the KSW 15 would be a better choice that then wicked one or the SVS sub, i want something that hits in the chest and goes low low..
6.gif
----------------

No no no,

The KSW is nothing at all like the RSW series.

The KSW series is reported to be much looser and more floppy sounding then the venerable RSW series.

I have heard some good things about the Decware sub but I have never heard them in person.

Peace, Josh

TRUE,the ksw ain't no RSW.Everyone has a different set up,room,requirements.For my mostly music set up I prefered the rsw 15,lots of in your chest power,and a nice message to boot.If you want lowwww,its hard to beat SVS at its prices and stellar service.I think the Ear will agree,the velo,svs,and klipsch are the ones you want,yee haw!

11.gif The Reason for the DECWARE is I want Fast Bass

I believe that the only Fast and True Bass will come out of a Folded Horn enclosure, now the problem is what is a good amp to drive these things with Plate vs Rack Mount

I was thinking about going with a Peavey 1000 Watt..

sorry for all the dumb questions.

4.gif

Pardon my english, but there is no such thing as " fast " bass. You may be referring to higher frequency bass, but that is not what a velodyne is going to give you. If you want higher frequency bass and a " kick in the chest " you are better off going with something with a higher tuning frequency like the ksw series or better yet the sony wm-40. That my friend will give you the only true and " fast " bass. Maybe a couple of accoustimass modules is all you need.

Sounds to me like Mr Canales needs something above and beyond the call. Hmmmmm.....HGS18 is insufficient? Not enough output??

Have you considered the SVS B4?? This puppy reads like one huge seismic beast - high output, goes very low. As SVS claims, a true "weapon of mass destruction". Not TOO large a unit, considering what it is capable of (which is more than a pair of SVS Ultras.6.gif

Another huge "seismic" beast is the Edgarhorn seismic subwoofer. True horn loaded bass, in a cabinet the size of a refrigerator. Made by Bruce Edgar, who knows just a bit about horns (and real horn loaded bass). The one I would really like to have (just no room for this beast in the HT room). You can buy this in kit form for just over $1000, built for you for about $3000.

Then there's the professional woofer cabinet option, and there happens to be one that may work for you on ebay (and it's in San Antonio as well). It is the Klipsch KTP-484 professional bass cabinet, item number 2509471842 on ebay (or wherever place you can get one). 130db max output, 105 db/1w/1m efficiency, goes down to 30 hz. I use similar JBL cabinets and get very good results - you will need the appropriate amps and crossovers to drive these.

When you are talking subs for Heritage, you should look at high efficiency, high output designs for the best "match". My guess is the HGS goes low enough, but is not efficient enough or high enough output for you or your Belles.

Of course there is such a thing as fast bass. It refers to the speed of the attack. Attack refers to the slope, timing and peak of the leading edge of the note. It is not unusual for horn lovers to wish for a bass unit that exhibits the quick dynamics of their horns. Many hornies, like Tom Brennen, say that only horn loaded bass can keep up with mid-range horns.

It is hard to imagine that the Velodyne does not have enough punch for you, perhaps, you want more upper bass output? In that case, the RSW series is much better. Go to the excellent article at http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_8_4/subwoofers-12-2001.html and see for your self. The RSW sub has the most output in that region.

2.gif

pardon My English but there is FAST BASS ... and i strongly believe I can only get that out of a Folded Horn Enclosure that is why the DEC ware was my option..

as for the KSW I have heard that and my POS Velodyne blows it away

the Sony I have never heard but if it is like anything else in speakers that they make it is probably junk, and as for the Acoustimass well they are simply the best my daughter has some of those with my old HGS12 and a pair of old Fortes and she seems to like them I think she uses the bose for looks only 14.gif

Sony wm40? try a string with a can and frisbee for dispersal,now thats an econo sub!I really don't want to knock sony but please don't compare to svs, klipsch rsw,velo etc.For someone starting on a tight budget it may do,but I thought we were talking about real bass output.

Excuse me,who in the blue hell would compare a trash can Sony WM40,a piece of compost filler with a class product like a Klipsch RSW,Velodyne HGS,Sunfire,HSU or SVS.

Please stop this it is not even funny

For anyone who still does not get it...

SONY WM40 = GARBAGE,BOOMY,UNDEFINED,PEAKY,WEAK,POOR QUALITY

In one word A JOKE

And dont tell ME its a great product because a few clowns on AudioReview.com posted great things about it.These users are all newbies and dont have a clue what a great subwoofer is all about.They NEVER...EEEVER heard a well set up Velo HGS18,Revel B15 or Aerial SW12.

I have and I own these.and just for laughs I took home a WM40,damn what a joke this poor excuse for a sub is.BOOMY AND BOOMY and SO UNDEFINED its a crime.Its designer should do time for its design.

and I thought that when I referred to the Sony as Junk I was being nice.

TheEar you said it all.

anyone that would recommend that Junk with a pair of Acoustimess obviously has a problem.

not that my system is better than most but it rocks and rolls.

even though I do need to replace that old junker 50" plasma for a 60" 3.gif