Forte II's getting long in the tooth

kook

----------------

On 2/23/2003 12:02:57 PM fini wrote:

jt1stcav,

That's a cool light you've got there! I'm looking for a small light for TT/amp/CD viewing (can't see a durn thing in dim light). Do you like it? Do you remember where you got it? Have a brand/model for me? Thanks!

fini

----------------

Yeah, fini, I like it alot! It's a Littlite L3-18 18" gooseneck lamp with a dimmer control, and it uses a Q5 halogen bulb. It worked out perfectly for my turntable; even used it when cleaning the tape heads on my Nakamichi deck! It's a bright sucker; it gives off more light than you can imagine! I bought it about 5 years ago at Thoroughbred Music in Tampa (now a Sam Ash music store; I don't know if they carry it now).

You can order one at www.audioadvisor.com for $59.95, and you'll need a weighted base ($12.95), or a clamp ($9.95).

Well, after receiving my RSW-10 sub, I am extremely pleased with my Forte's, the academy, and the RS-3 II surrounds - very pleased. I haven't even fine tuned the setup and it rocks for home theatre - that sub really made things come alive! I thought it may be too small for my room (15'x15', 10' high walls and cathedral ceiling), but it's the perfect size.

Found out my receiver is a true 90 watts per channel for all 5 channels, when selecting "5 CH Stereo" mode (for listening to music); with all 5 speakers rockin', I don't need to turn the volume up as high as I did when only running the front mains..... so less overall distortion at the same volume level.

I think I'll keep my speaks! 9.gif

Good for you, kook! The Forte IIs are a very full and robust loudspeaker, and if you would've sold them, you eventually would've regretted it! And with the new subwoofer, it's all icing on the cake!

Glad to hear the distortion level you were experiencing in 2-channel is virtually eliminated in 5-channel stereo. Still, I think you should consider a low-watt outboard stereo amplifier for your Forte IIs in the not-too-distant-future...amps to consider (used SS on the cheap): Hafler, Marantz, harman/kardon, McIntosh, NAD, Rotel, etc. If your budget allows, go for Pass Labs, Krell, conrad-johnson, Creek, PS Audio, Classe, Musical Fidelity, etc...there are so many high quality SS amps to choose from. If you can find a great PP tube amp that's close to 90 WPC, that would really spice up the Forte IIs!

The possibilities are endless...as long as you have the dough!3.gif

Very interesting info about the Hepner drivers, TBrennan. What other Klipsch horn drivers are Hepners?

While I do not dispute what TB says regarding the Hepner drivers (he is much more experienced at this than I am), I still believe that the "first watt" approach is best with any Klipsch you may own. Anyone who wants to buy amplification should be told this first. Even if the Hepners give some distortion, I would think that you are still better off with that quality "first watt" than not.

BTW - add the Monarchy SM 70 amplifiers to your short list of quality "first watt" units - I considered one of these, but went Mac instead. Even new, it's a bargain.

TBrennan, if you don't mind spending the time could you expound a little more on this whole "Hepner horn" thing? You're the first person to mention this on the Forum (other than that one other thread you see when you do a search under "Hepner" and it's only about Hepner-branded component horns). I'm becoming rather intrigued...

My question is:

Is this "Hepner horn" the same as a Tractrix horn or are you refering to the earlier exponentials in the original Heritage models?

I just reread the Tractrix white paper by Delgado, Geist, and Hunter (Audio 3/91) and they make no mention of a Mr. Hepner or of any out-sourcing of the design or horn components. Credit is given to Edgar (who had already attributed it to Voigt in 1981 based on work done with Tractrix designs in the 20's.)

Your description of the Hepner horn ("small diaphragms and throats") doesn't sound like what is in the Tractrix midhorn; a 1.5" diaphragm and a throat that seems about 1.25" across at it's narrowest. Are you saying these dimensions are too small for low-distortion midrange reproduction? Compared to the rest of the current Heritage line up the driver might seem a tad small (by a half an inch), but aren't the squawkers on the ChorusII/ForteII/QuartetII run up to a little higher crossover point with the tweeter than the Belle/K-horn/LaScala/Heresy? That would seem to necessitate smaller diaphragms. The actual throat diameters I can't speak to, but I have seen cut-aways of exponential horns and Tractrix horns side-by-side and the Tractrix horns seem wider at nearly every point - from the throat on down to the end of the horn.

I hate second-guessing engineering decisions (especially when I'm not an engineer) but I have A/B'd my Forte IIs with other large midrange (2")diaphragm/exponential mid-horn Klipsch speakers (Heresy and Cornwall in particular), and, in reasonably sized rooms, I prefer my Fortes every time - in the midrange, especially. Bigger cabinets produce bigger bass and larger drivers produce larger dynamic scale, but there's a magic in that Tractrix midhorn on the ChorusII/ForteII/QuartetII that I've never heard duplicated by any other Klipsch speaker.

If what you're saying about his horns is true, this Hepner guy was some kind of a genius.9.gif

Kirk---Hepner made inexpensive integrated horn-drivers for use from about 800hz up to around 10-12khz. Similar to the Pyle integrated horn-drivers in the Parts Express catalog. I used to make speakers with Hepner mids and CTS woofers and piezo tweeters many years ago. When Klipsch bought the Hepner tooling they replaced the mid horn and driver in the Cornwall with a new integrated horn-driver based on the Hepner. Units based on the Hepner were also used in the Forte and Chorus. When the Forte and Chorus went to tractrix mid horns I presumed they were using the Hepner based driver with a new horn. Perhaps I'm wrong.

Based on the complaint of increasing distortion with volume I made the conclusion that the drivers were distorting, easy to believe if they are the Hepner based units. Distortion in horns is most definately related to diaphragm and throat size. The other night I demonstrated my Altec A5s, with 3" diaphragm 1.4" throat compression drivers for a fella who listens to Maggies. He was amazed that his ears started hurting and yet the speakers were still not distorting.

I doubt very much that your tractrix horns are 1.25" at the throat. For a given driver a tractrix flare can hardly be larger at the throat, the size of which is determined by the driver outlet and not the horn. With an integrated driver-horn throat size will be determined by the diaphragm size and the compression ratio the designer wishes. It would be very odd for a driver with a 1.5" diaphragm to have a throat 1.25" just past the phasing plug which is the beginning of the throat with such a design, odd indeed.

Thanks for humoring me TB! I am getting an education.

So the "throat" in a Tractrix midhorn is SMALLER than my estimate of 1.25 inches? By how much? Are we talking >.75 inches here? I was merely eyeballing the "choke point" and hadn't gotten around to actually disassembling one just to make measurements.

What I take away from your latest post is that these mysterious Hepner units weren't modular in the classic Klipsch mode but rather integrated diaphragm-on-horn models. I haven't been inside my Fortes in many years and I cant remember what was in there but I suppose they could be the elusive (yet oh-so-good-sounding) Hepner units...

I was wondering about the "quality first watt" theory. How does one tell if an amp has a "quality first watt"? Is it a spec issue? Is it something that's easily looked up or do you have to demo and listen for distortion? Are there manufacturers that are known to have this quality?

I'm using my system for HT so I want SS amp. I've been planning on picking up a Rotel amp when I get some more cash. Does anyone know if Rotel has a "quality first watt"?

I have a pair of Forte' I's. I'm wondering at what volume are people hearing this distortion caused by the Hepner horns? I've been feeling that my setup sounds a bit bright. I'm driving my fortes with a Yamaha RX-777 reciever.

• 2 weeks later...

I am not sure how loud you listen to your music...but if you go with the recomendations of a cleaner, warmer producing amp using front speaker preouts you should get the sound you are looking for...I myself use the Yamaha M-80 @ 250 watts per channel at 8 ohms...Its really wakes them up...It can be switched to run in class A mode up to 30 watts and then automatically switches to calss A/B. Cost on E-bay - $300 to $400

...Well, let me tell u that if u would just invest in a decent small(say 25wpc), tube amp and run those babies u will be totally amazed at the quality of sound they will produce. I have mine hooked up to a refurbished H/K A700 with 35wpc and at half volume they will rock your socks off and the detail and bass is excellent! The bottom line is these speakers(some of the best ever made by Klipsch), are made for tube land, period. U will be hard pressed to find a reasonably priced SS amp that will deliver the quality of sound that tubes do. 2.gif

.... well the proof is in u, if u know someone with a tube amp have them bring it over and run it for yourself and take a listen. Those guys talking about the "first watt", know what they're saying. A set of mono blocks will take one watt and slap u silly on a pair of Forte II's. SS tends to make these 99db speakers sound harsh, especially at higher volume. Tube amps have high definition, excellent detail, and plenty of power, even 25wpc will make Forte's hum along like a Ferrari. High quality SS is good stuff, don't get me wrong, but some speakers are made for tubes. I had a Denon and a Yamaha and neither one could hold a candle to my H/K or my Sansui 1000A on the Forte's. Listening to the SS, and then throwing on a tube amp will show u the difference...do a taste test. Jolida has an introductory amp for $550, if u can afford it, and will be money well spent for those speakers. This is two-channel sound though, if u want home theatre or four channel, perhaps u should sell the Forte's and go for something other than three-way horns. RS1.gif

I noticed some Halo MG-SPM8 DT tube mono blocks advertised on Audiogon and was thinking about trying them on my Forte's. They use EL-34's and 12AX7's. At 8watts per block and the right price for trying things out I thought it might be neat to give them a run.

Anyone have any thoughts or experience with them?

I rarely if ever listen at over a 75db average, maybe pushing 85db peaks for music so 8 watts should be enough for me. Right?

But what about HT? Again, not over 85db. Anyone have experience with tube mono blocks for HT?

...I recommend that u take the mono block question and start a different string in order to get some very good feedback from some of the pro's. They won't see your question under the title of this string. Mono blocks r the best tube sound going if the ones u are looking at are in good condition(good tubes and caps). Those 8 watts will knock your socks off! U will be a tube head forever after u hear them on the Fortes.10.gif ...Put your question up under the Two-Channel section.1.gif

• 2 weeks later...