1977 Cornwalls for Sale

triceratops

Thank you, triceratops, for your very thorough explanation! I don't necessarily need an A/B comparison, measuring test tones using a sound pressure meter, or critically listening to an audiophile grade 180-gram high quality virgin vinyl LP pressing of a direct-to-disc, vacuum tube mastered recording using only a single Neumann stereo microphone suspended 110' above and in front of a 50-voice choir and a 60 year old, 96 rank electro-pneumatic pipe organ high up in the back gallery of a 150 year old redstone gothic cathedral!

Your description was good enough for me!2.gif

On 3/2/2003 4:36:40 PM dndphishin wrote:

...I just brought home the most awesome 1976 Cornwalls I've ever seen.

Congrats dndphishin!

Sounds like you made a great score! I'm glad you didn't have to go halfway across the country to get them. Would love to hear about the new '76's and also hear about the Horn Society meeting after things settle down.

Best in Horns,

Triceratops

On 3/2/2003 6:46:47 PM bkrop wrote:

Triceratops> How woefully inadequate did the KG-4's compare to the cornwalls?

You know, I am very impressed by those little KG-4's. They're so good for a small speaker that it makes me curious about the whole generation of square footprint, passive radiator speakers that took over the Klipsch catalog after the Cornwalls (Choruses, Quartets, KG-4s, etc). They're so good that I've thought about scaling back to the KG-4s and not having a pair of "big boxes" around. But then I hook up the Cornwalls and shake off that thought.

Even so, I really like the KG-4's--they obviously don't have as much bass response as the Cornwall. But they are still real efficient speakers (94 dB @ 1 w/m) with a very dynamic, lifelike sound--and they are only a little bigger than a Heresy. Cornwall owners are known for having a soft spot for Heresys, and if I ever get a chance to buy a pair I probably will...but it seems to me that like the Heresys the KG-4 (or a pair of Quartets--although I've never heard those) would be a very reasonable step down from the Cornwalls if size or cost is an issue.

I think the old 80/20 rule applies here: I have a pair of KG-4s that cost me about 20% of what my used Cornwalls cost (I admit I got a killer deal on the KG-4s--probably about half the going rate) and I think the KG-4s take up about 20% of the space of Cornwalls, but I think the KG-4s deliver about 80% of the performance of the Cornwalls!

Key your eyes peeled for those little rascals! You can always use them as spares...

Best,

Triceratops

Ballylongford, good luck with your auction! If only I had the money...15.gif

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3011183480&category=14993

I e-mailed you through eBay...I think your date of manufacture ('77-'78) is wrong. If I'm not mistaken, your Cornwall's SNs: 27W101 & 27W102 makes them out to be 1981 models. It's hard to read, but isn't the copyright year on your labels 1980?

Just curious. Some buyers are particular about such things.

jt,

That is correct - those are 1981 models. I don't believe these are the alnicos either - I don't recall specifically when the change to ferrite magnets occurred, but I think these are in that range of the "Cornwall 1 1/2" - where the drivers had begun to change, but still used that old style removable back cabinet. Those do look like the woofers in my Cornwall II's. Removal of the backs will confirm what we are actually looking at here.

There certainly has been some confusion recarding Cornwalls of this vintage, due to the changes taking place regarding its design and different parts used during that time.