It's killing me, I want some belles but....

m00n

Damn, I see these belles and I want a pair, I have the money to buy a pair off ebay but.... I feel as though I have so much invested in my current speakers that selling them now I would feel I never got my moneys worth. I would be loosing at least a thousand I would imagine.5.gif

Say I had R/C/L belles, what would make good surrounds for them?

----------------

On 3/4/2003 11:02:35 PM NOZ wrote:

Told you so....

----------------

Yeah... But... What to do with my existing speakers. Damn, that's a ton of money sitting there. 2 RF7s, 2 RC7, 4 RS7s.

Also, how often do you find a single belle? I would want matching belles accross the front. I have only seen pairs of them on eBay.

----------------

On 3/5/2003 12:20:49 AM kjohnsonhp wrote:

Just curious as to what are the key aspects of the Belle sonic signature that is driving you to want to swap out your entire RF7 theater?

I'm just curious.

You can see below that I'm a heritage owner so I'm not trying to defend the RF7's.

----------------

You know... That is a very good question. I really don't know. Hearsay I suppose. People keep talking about how good they sound. I have never heard them before. Really it sounds like a bad idea to just go buy a set of speakers without hearing them first... But I guess I would just have to say word of mouth. I don't not like my existing system. i think it is incredible, but, I know there is something allegidly better than what I have, therefore I want it. 4.gif... Honesty hurts, but that is what it is.

Which brings me to another point. In my mind I have built these speakers up to be the "gold" of speakers. The best thing since the automobile. I would hate to buy these, listen to them and think to myself... Huh... sounds just like a speaker. That would be very depressing to me.

And to add to my past post.....

The RF7 to me is a good sounding speaker, BUT. I would never be happy with just a pair of RF7s by themselves. In my opinion or shall I say my taste, I need a sub with them to be happy. They have again in my opinion no substance in the low range, perhaps this is by design. I really don't know.

I have always listened to speakers that have had a tweater, mid and a big 12 or 15" woofer. That is the sound I am used to. My Sanyos in the house have a nice full sound from top to bottom. Are they as clean and crisp as the RF7? No not by a long shot. But they have a nice full bodied sound to them.

I keep thinking that the belles would have more of a sound that I am accustomed to. Again, I am not dogging the RF7, not by a long shot. They are an incredibly good sounding speaker, they just don't have any bass in my opinion.

hey Mr.Moon you might want to listen to a pair of LaScalas to...i listened to them side by side when i bought my Scalas.The Belles are good but female voices dont sound right to me on them.With the Scalas you get the big horn midrange and it sounds much better i think......if you have to have the Belles for looks well thats another story...dont want to start a war here on this just put in my one cent worth....good luck..rick

hey Mr.Moon you might want to listen to a pair of LaScalas to...i listened to them side by side when i bought my Scalas.The Belles are good but female voices dont sound right to me on them.With the Scalas you get the big horn midrange and it sounds much better i think......if you have to have the Belles for looks well thats another story...dont want to start a war here on this just put in my one cent worth....good luck..rick

mOOn, Heritage speakers in Home Theater is BLISS9.gif

The Belle Klipsch would certainly be an outstanding speaker to build a front soundstage for HT. I've got Cornwalls up front and seek a single center Belle as well (and I need it in Oil Oak - which are very hard to find). I would stay in Walnut on the Belles, since they are much more common.

The Belle is a different animal than the RF-7, to be sure. The fully horn loaded design makes it so much different in the bass. The Belle only goes down to 50 hz or so, but it's the feel of that bass that counts. Properly placed Belles don't get complaints regarding the bass response, improperly placed Belles can sound bass lacking. I find they go plenty low for most 2 channel listening (especially for rock and roll tastes, which don't offer much bass below 50hz anyway). And of course, you will get the very open and clear midrange that Heritage Klipsch are famous for.

Surrounds: Several approaches: If you want the wide dispersion in the rear, you can use the RS speakers. If you prefer the all monopole approach, look at Belles, Cornwalls, Chorus, or Heresys to fill out the surrounds (which are all close in timbre to the Belles). It's a topic of debate around here as to which is preferred, but in my HT, I went with the monopole approach, where the goal was to get as close to 5 identical speakers as possible. Given used Heritage (and Heritage relatives) prices, it is very feasible to have Cornwalls/Chorus/Heresys as surrounds.

Subwoofers: Uh oh, this is where it HZ the wallet. When you go Belle (or similar Heritage), you gotta go with the big boyz here. An RSW-15 is the minimum here - and preferably, bigger and deeper than that. The SVS Ultra pair seems to be the lowest cost/highest performance combo used with Heritage - and for good reason. Deeeeeeep bass, good speed, AND high output (two Ultras will meet Dolby reference standards for theaters - 121 db down to 20 hz). You really owe it to yourself to hear this combo - you will be very impressed.

I use JBL professional woofers as subs, and while not as low extension as the SVS, these are an ideal match with Heritage in speed and output.

If you want to take the leap, you can sell the Reference, and buy up the necessary Heritage to makle this work. You are in a very good market for used Heritage in terms of pricing - the west/northwest seems to have the best used Heritage deals.

When I first found this BBS, I took a good hard look at the Reference series speakers. As an admitted Heritage fan, I could not get away from the value and sound that the used Heritage series brings. Dollar for dollar, the Heritage is a steal. One look at the build of the Heritage line will also convince you (especially the older stuff before MDF - my '76 Corns are night and day vs. my '88s). This stuff is built to last - they will probably still be around for your grandchildren to enjoy them.

Once you go fully horn loaded, you won't want to go back.

Edit: You can also use LaScalas. Same sound as the Belle, different cabinet. The Belle is essentially a dressed up LaScala, so sonically, you can use either speaker.