Building Custom Entertainment Center

pennektj

I am building an Entertainment Center to hold my TV and front spekers along with all of the various componenets. I am thinking about building using MDF and then fronting the entire unit with a nice looking wood. (Building on a Budget 101).

My question is will putting the speakers in a "shelf" effect the sound? I have a pair of SF-2's... and they will be placed in the unit. I can leave a bunch of room behind the speaker... if need (rather not) but the sides will have maybe an inch clearance (toed in). Attached is a rough sketch of what I am looking for. (the image didn't scan all that well).

Any other suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks,

Tim

post-11651-13819246722454_thumb.jpg

I think it's a nice looking design. Maybe it's just me, but I'm uncomfortable putting tower speakers inside of cabinets. Given that they are rear ported, they will need some room to breath, and I guess I'd be concerned I couldn't give them the room they need for that. However, I am no expert on this and have no personal experience to relate.

If the enclosed main speakers turns out to not be the best way to go, and if you don't need the outside ends of the entertainment center for equipment (and it looks like you don't), perhaps you could eliminate the ends of the unit and sit the speakers in the open.

DD

You both make the very good point about the ported rear... however, with the current design, I can leave the back off, and have the same amount of room behind the speaker now as before (about a foot) and just have the sides and top of the shelf built around.

As for leaving of the end pieces, that isn't very feasible... I think it would look funny, as I am trying to fill an entire alcove in the living room. I forgot to mention that...

As for the cost of the wood... I have been through many different designs, and this has passed all the tests, girlfriends appearance test, father building / architecture test, etc... Looking to buy a unit like this is going to be tough to find and EXPENSIVE... so I am ready to plop down a couple bills to make this look good... it is definately cheaper than the alternative.

Any other design suggestions? Or feature I should put in? I am thinking about enclosing the bottom of the TV in a wood panel also (removable) so that the screen lookes like a plasma screen floating in the unit... what do you think?

Make sure you leave enough room for eventual upgrades. you know, when you buy the rf-7's it'd be a shame if they didn't fit. On the whole though it looks very nice. If I had the time and tools I would love to do some furniture, since my roomies and I are looking at putting in a home theater I might actually get the chance too. here's hoping.

I thought of the upgrade possibilities...

But I have decided that buy the time I have the money to afford upgrades... I will be in a new home. I currently live in a fairly small starter home... and if I spend too much more on the home theater, I am going to appear as the person with the Corvette living in the mobile home park.

I am only 25... I have plenty of time to upgrade and build a new entertainment center.

Putting those towers in an entertainment center will just induce more reflections which will adversely affect their sound. Personally I would not do it! Just place the towers on each side of the entertainment center like I did. I also recommend building a faux panel to cover the front lower portion of the RPTV. That's what we had done with our 55" Mits and it looks A LOT better. I'll try to get you a picture.

I also think you should be on the lookout for a lone SF-2 (like on eBay) and build yourself a custom center channel speaker that's a perfect match for the SF-2s. See mine here: my custom center

----------------

On 3/10/2003 2:17:29 PM pennektj wrote:

I thought of the upgrade possibilities...

But I have decided that buy the time I have the money to afford upgrades... I will be in a new home. I currently live in a fairly small starter home... and if I spend too much more on the home theater, I am going to appear as the person with the Corvette living in the mobile home park.

I am only 25... I have plenty of time to upgrade and build a new entertainment center.
----------------

We had a beautiful oak entertainment center in are first house then when we moved into the current house and it doesn't come close to fitting our new decor or even the house for that matter..

Not to burst any bubbles but I would hate to have some one else suffer the pain in the a55 problem of having to unload a beautiful entertainment center.

If you plan on moving in less than 5 years I would recommend a nice audio stand. that will get you by now and when you move into the new house you'll have a stand for another setup. and then build an entertainment center to fit the house you'll be in for a longer time. Just my thoughts and like I said I am not trying to burst any bubbles just sharing a costly experience.

I understand what it is like to have to leave things behind. However I enjoy building things, and would consider these a home improvemnt. I have already completely rebuilt the kitchen in the house, and am building this entertainment unit in an alcove... and it will remain a piece of the house. I understand that leaving it behind will be rough, but just as hard as leaving eveything else behind...

I will take your advice under consideration... but I will also eventually post a picture of the finished product for you. Even if I only get to enjoy it for 5 years... it will be worth it to me.

I will keep you posted on the progress..

• 1 year later...

I would go for it, try to leave a lot of room for the speakers, so you can angle them, etc. I was thinking of doing the same thing, I hate the way my crap looks, just a 65" Mits with a matching rack, which is ugly, and then the speakers on the sides of that. I want to build/buy one that is a nice glossy mohogany or something, with lights in the glass, etc that would hold all my gear, cover the base of the TV, etc

You can start it and see where it goes I suppose, changing things here and three, but it looks like an excellent layout!!

I've built a lot of cabinets, built-ins for homes, and free-standing. If painting, I just used AB plywood and 1/2 poplar for edging. I glued and 6d nailed the edges around shelves, then routed edges, looks like custom cabinetry at 1/4 the cost. Use latex primer first (raises grain) then orbital sand down to about 220 grit, dust off, then two coats of Porter Glyp-tec oil-based enamel. write if ya want more construction hints.

Michael