1st order Xover for LaScala

brother

I finally finished my first order crossovers for the LaScalas this weekend. These are inspired from PWK's preference and the quest for simplicity in design. I thought you guys might like to see them. I've only listened to them for a couple of days, but the sound is simply sparkling. The improved clarity and definition of string instruments is the most noticeable and harmonizing vocals are improved as well. The bass is strong for the LaScala and as expected is very tight. I played the Eagles "Hell Freezes Over" DVD and it was remarkably improved over the stock Type AA crossovers. I lost my electronic version of the wiring diagram in a hard drive crash, but will soon redraw it and will post it as well.

post-10812-13819246731164_thumb.jpg

Hi guys,

If it means anything, the networks Brother built is the first order design I posted a few months ago. It is very similar to the ones I build, but with fewer elements. They are true multiplexers and constant impedance. I highly recommend them (obviously!).

BTW, Brother did a very nice job building them. His use of electrical wiring components rather then solder and terminal posts to make the interconnections is very interesting. That should work fine.

Al K.

Thanks Al! Actually, all the terminals are soldered; I used the ground lugs because of difficulty obtaining the posts you use. The connections are banded, soldered, and then placed in the lugs to secure them. The ring connectors are tin plated copper crimped and soldered onto the wiring before attaching to the terminal strips. The circuitry is a low pass, bandpass, high pass with each element directly fed from the positive signal terminal ( a variation of the published crossover). Many of the other circuits I've seen pull the tweeter cap from inside the bandpass cap. I chose to do it differently. The inspiration (?) comes from a 1958 article by PWK on LPads where he shows a new crossover similar to this one. The idea is to eliminate all possible insertion losses, etc. Obviously, the bandpass section is more complicated due to the squawker driver characteristics.

Cut Throat, the inductors are mounted just as Al K does using holes drilled into the mounting board and plastic tie wraps threaded through. The Al's design helped me a lot on these types of details.

brother,

Ok.. The lowpass - bandpass - highpass circuit performs exactly as the dual diplexer version I use. As it happens, the part values are the same for this paarticular case too. The only drawback is that the crossover points are harder to control making the dual diplexer a much better choice for higher order networks. For first order network, that isn't important becasue the horns actually determine the crossover. Both types are constant impedance if they are done properly.

Al K.

I have heard the new networks and I have to say they are an unqualified success. There is a purity to the sound that is immediately apparent, but a little difficult to describe. I listened to The Eagles DVD and a Trisha Yearwood CD the brother's wife likes and that I'd heard several times before through a pair of ALK crossovers. The difference was not "life affirming" or "earth-shattering", but plain to hear none the less.

Be forewarned if you build a set of these, the tweeters are hung out there to be blown easily. I'm still trying to persuade brother to go back and add djk's auto lamp tweeter protection (bulb #561).

Hello All,

I am building a pair using Altec 515E (16ohm), 909-16A/511b(16ohm) and EV T-35s (8ohm). Could this 1st order crossover be used in this application? would the values of the components change with the impeadance of the drivers?

Brother,

Looking foward to that schematic1.gif

Dan

The crossover design probably could be used with the altec setup you describe. It will depend on the efficiency and impedance of the drivers. The component values WILL change based on the crossover frequencies and woofer impedance you will need. The autoformer is limited in the attenuation steps it has. Most, if not all are 3 dB.

It's plenty of protection if you behave yourself. Even anvils can be blown up. I still advise adding a light bulb or polyswitch in a 1st order crossover. The most modern K-77-Ms and ones with recent diaphragm replacement have a power rating of 5 watts continuous/50 music. That's 111 dB continuous! you shouldn't be doing that often, or you won't be able to hear any tweeter!

Klewless concern is valid. The crossover rolls off at 6K @ 6dB / octave which is more than enough to stay out of the driver's lower limit if you project the curve on the tweeter response plots I had for evaluation. John's suggestion of utilizing the light will aditionally help limit the power to the tweeter and is an addition I will make to help protect the driver. That additional component was intended to be included, I just didn't get them before I had the time to build the networks. It's an easy mod. I've just got to keep the teen out of the volume until then.

Stovebolt---Those Altec 909s oughta be good out to 16khz on axis when used on 511B horns. Have you tried them without tweeters? Most Altec fans prefer the clear, though slightly soft, sound of Altec 2-ways with tweeters.

If you prefer a tweeter I think you should bring it in at a very high frequency, say 10-15khz, and let the 909 do it's thing. Just use the T-35 as a supertweeter for a little added sheen. The 909 is much smoother than the T-35.

Hey Al,

Using my new digital meter (cool Meterman that directly measures L & C), the #561 limits the power through the tweeter to about 2 watts steady state, from about 5V to 10.6V. Perhaps it is a bit too limiting. It begins to glow at 1.5V.