New Rock Music mini-review

Deang

I picked up some new stuff here lately, and thought I'd post some thoughts.

I like the cookie cutter grunge bands. I dig the grinding guitars, buzzing of the Marshall and Fender amps, wicked slamming drums, and men that actually sing like men.

New Godsmack -- same 'ole same 'ole. Disappointing. 2nd CD is the best -- it's all you need of this band.

Queens of the Stone Age -- interesting CD. I actually like most of it, and it's one of those that has that "grow on you" quality. The mix sounds like it was done on an old Teac 4 track. Different. The name of the band was derived as a joke played on their fans -- which they knew in advance would be "homophobic rednecks".

Cinder -- wanted it, but not out yet. Sure to be major kick butt stuff. Looking forward to this one.

East West -- debut CD -- a must have.

Feezal -- debut CD -- a must have.

Chevelle -- debut CD -- a must have.

Rush, Vapor Trails -- a must have.

None of the above for the faint of heart, and may need more than a watt or two, to get the most out of them. ;~)

Enjoy!

Ok, Lately I've gotten hooked on The Donnas. I was digging around Kazaa one night and stumbled across them. Started reading up on them in www.allmusic.com (great site for artists/band histories and what is available on cd by the artists). I think it was song titles like "Take Me To The Backseat", "Take It Off", "Please Don't Tease" and "Pass It Around" that sparked my curiosity - appealed to my purient interests. Anyway, these girls reminded me alot of The Runaways. They also have a track on the Detroit Rock City soundtrack - a cover of "Keep On Loving You". And yes I will be "buying" their latest cd "Spend The Night".

Glad to hear the comments about Queens Of The Stone Age. I've been curious about them as well. I'll have to give them a listen.

Dean, I just got my 299 back from Craig today (shipped it to him Mon. got it back on Thurs; how's that for turn-around). I'll be rockin' this weekend. I still have to find the problem in my left K-horn. Maybe we can hook up sometime soon. Computerfest is this weekend, but I should be home in the afternoon on Sat. or anytime Sunday. Email me.9.gif

kjohnsonhp,

• One Little Victory.

Sweet Miracle.

Vapor Trail.

These are some of the tracks that I remember as liking a lot off of the Vapor Trails album.

There are other good tracks on there but these are the only ones I that I remember the names of at the moment.

btw, dean is right, this album has to be cranked to sound its best2.gif

Peace, Josh