Klipsch Heresy stands/placement

pet68

I own a pair of Heresys and I currently have them aprox. 7 feet appart sitting on 4 spikes each (front spikes 2.5 inches long and back spikes 1 inch long). A friend suggested to put them on 12 to 15 inch stands. Can you please tell what' s the best stand / placement for these speakers?

pet68, Your friend is correct to suggest placing your Heresy loudspeakers on sturdy stands. To improve their performance, you really need them elevated up to ear level...high frequencies are directional, and tweeters properly elevated help improve high frequency sound, which adds ambience and an openness to your music. Sturdy stands also help reduce cabinet vibration, which improves bass, midrange clarity, and sonic imaging.

I would assume a good sturdy stand that can support the weight of your Heresys is in order. Lovan makes their Jazz 1800 3-pillared, spiked steel stands that are 18" tall and can support large bookshelf loudspeakers like your Heresys.

You can still place them 7' apart and listen to them again. Since they'll be elevated, they may sound totally different from what you're used to when they were seated on the floor with only 4 spikes. The soundstage should be much wider and taller with your Heresys on stands, so adjusting their placement for proper imaging will be crutial. Experiment...pull them a little further away from the back and side walls, more into the room, and play around with toe-in. Whatever sounds right to you in your sweet-spot will be the best placement for them.

Listen, and enjoy.1.gif

LOJAZZ1800_000.JPG

The Lovan 'Jazz' is a great stand, kind of pricey though at $230.00.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?sku=LOJAZZ1800&product_name=Jazz%20Speaker%20Stands%20-%20Pair

240-746m.jpg

240-746.gif

At the other end of the price spectrum you have these nifty stands. A whopping $18.50 per pair gets your Heresies 7" off the floor and tilted back a little. I plan on buying these for my modifed DQ-10's.

Pretty nifty, heh?

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&User_ID=12105944&St=1967&St2=-63856613&St3=52983799&DS_ID=3&Product_ID=4930&DID=7

I agree. I need to call partsexpress and get the weight limitation for the stands. If the steel is good, and is sufficiently rigid -- they will do well enough. The weight of the speaker should compress the leafs somewhat -- tightening things up. It's a smart design.

In my past experience with Heresy's, (I have had 4 pairs) any time I raised them off of the floor, they lost all of their bass. The best thing I ever did was to install the slant risers. This kept them on the floor, but they suddenly seem to fill the whole room with music.

I am currentently using Heresy's for my rear surround speakers on 4 feet high matching plywood boxes (see pic below). They work great for surround, but when I play music from them, they have very little bass.

http://www.cyclonecj.com/theater/im007242.jpg

----------------

On 3/15/2003 7:49:45 PM cyclonecj wrote:

I am currentently using Heresy's for my rear surround speakers on 4 feet high matching plywood boxes..."

----------------

Bryan, are those boxes filled with sand or shot? LOL9.gif

Really, are they stable, or do the Heresys rock back and forth? I have 4 cats that run and jump all over the house, and I'd be afraid they'd tip this kind of speaker stand over!6.gif

Actually, they are very heavy by them selves, & very stable. I used the same 3/4" plywood as my HBR Heresy's. I was getting a "booming" sound, so I added a brace in the middle & added some foam. In HT mode, the bass goes to the goes to the subs, so I have not noticed any 'rocking'!

I ordered the 240-740 Tri-Tube metal speaker stands from Parts Express last week and they are nice stands for $37.50 a pair. Don't know about Heresy's, but my KG2.5's work well and look nice on them.

Keith

Justin:

The original plan was to use these as subs, but the first one I built sounded like S##t. I ended up trying out a Heresy cabinet that I bought off Ebay after I stripped the parts out of it for my center channel project. It worked GREAT! Things were falling off the wall during testing. Heresy cabinets are really solid.

post-11842-13819246746624_thumb.jpg

I have never measured it for specs. I was just playing around one day after pulling the parts out of it to build the center. I screwed in the Infinity 1220w & connected it to the Onkyo (105wpc) out, & the walls started shaking. I then cut a new back for it & ported it, but it no longer went low enough to help. I went back to the original sealed back.

I now use both of them for HT, but they go off during music.

It even blends well with the Belle's up to a point, the point when the Onkyo runs out of power, At this point, the Belle's are running around 8-15 watts.

----------------

On 3/16/2003 8:00:08 PM justin_tx_16 wrote:

You could make a sonosub and put it inside the Heresy tower stands could'nt ya... hrmmmm

I never thought of putting a sono inside ......hhmmmmmmmmmm

Oh wait.. I cant afford to replace what I break now!

When you go to post a message there is a botton that say's "rich text" and your posting window will change and give you a ton of options for posting pics, change fonts, posting links you name it. Its a bit of a pain to use but once your used to it all is well !

Craig