DVD Player reccomendations

mmiles

I'm looking to upgrade my DVD player. Currently I use the Sony DVP-700NS about $200 unit 12+ months ago.

My primary use is video. I want to wait a year or so on the SACD and DVD-A format battle and hardware to shake out. Especially the issues with connectivity (except for the Pioneer Elite and Denon items) and bass management.

So fire away. BTW, I will intertain your comments on the high end stuff but I think $1-2K is my limit here.

Regards,

Mike

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

rotel has new gear out, or should be by now, that plays ALL formats, and since it is rotel it is very well done, i have auditioned most other players under 800 and although many are close none deliver at rotels level, in fact many of the high end dealers in my area only use rotel to demo thier high end tv's, and since my cd player bit the dust i play all my music on my dvd player, and it is just awesome, but audition, let your ears be the judge. by the way for the top of the line unit this year i believe msrp is about 120012.gif

Thanks for the link BBB-

I was going to recommend the Sony S9000ES, it is a great DVD player as well as CD and SACD. They are selling very inexpensively (compared to their original $1500 price tag) and built like a tank! I use the Sony in my HT rig-unfortunately it is on the list as having the Chroma bug.

Sadly, I think you are going to have to wait another year (or two) before quality players w/ combined DVD-Audio /SACD players come down from the stratosphere. Probably around that time, digital connects will also start to emerge replacing existing analog connects, but then that's at least another two years or so before they start to become the norm, so I will see you in 3 to 4 years to make a recommendation. Oops, I nearly forgot, HD-DVD will start coming onto the market around that time, but will need at least an additional 2 to 3 years more for this new format to get its feet on the ground, so I'll retract my earlier statement to and suggest that you wait about 6 to 7 years before getting a fully integrated DVD-A/SACD player. 9.gif

However in 6 to 7 years, SACD and DVD-Audio would have withered on the vine for lack of consumer interest and scrapped on the GFI (Great F**king Idea) pile.

I'm going through the same evaluation, and have the same position on DVD-A/SACD. A lot of the really good video units also have one or the other or both, so you're bound to get it anyway even if it isn't of great interest.

Since video is your prime concern, personally, I'd steer clear of Pioneer for the chroma-bug reason. Even though you may not see it, it just bugs me that they have the gall to introduce a brand new "high end" unit (the 47a) and STILL NOT FIX THE CHROMA BUG!!

I'd take a serious look at the Denon DVD-1600 and 3800. Also, the Yamaha SD-2300 or perhaps the DVD-C920 (not sure about the c-bug on the C920).

Also, my feeling is that the rate of improvement is so fast on these units that even though there are some great deals out there on "older" units (even just 2 years old) which were prime in their day, that they may have been eclipsed by new units that are less costly and take advantage of new technology (like the Faroudja DCDi).

The C920 fits my current budget (MSRP $399, recently dropped from $599). Anyone heard anything about this unit?

DD

My recommendation: don't buy SONY or PANY. As always, Denon is good brand to go. They even have top dvd players ranging in the 1 or 2k areas. For starter, a 400 -500 dvd-1600 is suffice. I own one, and its picture quality wins over my previous Sony dvd player. Onkyo is pretty good. If you are to buy, why not buy a dvd that doesn't have chroma bug....if you want chroma bug, or in a similiar sense, to buy a dvd with a chroma bug, stays with your current DVD. 13.gif

Chroma bug. Well as other people in other forums have said I am deaf. Why because the pioneer 49txi is a piece of crap and brand X is much better.

Now on the other hand I must be blind. The 47ai is on the having the chroma bug list.

Ok now I have to ask everyone here how many of you have seen this thing and when do you see it?

I will leave a space for you to fill in while I continue my rant.

Most of the reports of this bug are related to the menus with the still and far less noticable in movie play. Having the pioneer set up I invite whom ever to come on over for pizza and beer and watch a movie so you can point out this all so elusive bug.

thanks for letting me rant now I must return to watching the movie and continue watching for the bug with my swatter in hand.

Scott

I'm with bruinsrme on this one. As far as I'm concerned this chroma bug thing is "much ado about nothing". I hear it's something one really has to look for to notice. I have the Toshiba SD4800 which supposedly has it but I've never seen it nor have I ever been tempted to look for it. I'm not thrilled with the Toshiba, but it's not because of the chroma bug.

BRUINS. Oooooooo boy. I was afraid you would get a little bummed out once you found out the Pioneer 47Ai was found to have the chroma bug by the Secrets of Home Theater guys. I knew it had it but when mmiles asked about it I just posted the link to the list for ALL players that have it rather than jump up and down and yell Chroma Bug! Chroma Bug! Chroma Bug!

I think people should be made aware of the problem before they make a purchase of an expensive DVD player but not have their noses rubbed in it just because they own a fine player that does. I own 3 DVD players. Two of which are reported to have the bug. One that mmiles wants to upgrade from (the Sony 700NS) and the Toshiba SD-9200. I own only one of the discs the Secrets guys use to demonstrate how bad the Chroma Bug can be. I dont WANT any of the others. I have the Fifth Element disc they use and it is supposed show a blurring around the Generals hand while he has it hovering over the destruct button in the lab that builds Milla Jovovich (He he he. Yeah right. Like she needs any more building). It is also supposed to show up as a glow around the ZORG sign on top of his building. To get back to the point I just DONT see the bug on any of my players on my 55 Mits. My third player is a Panasonic RP-91. It does not have the bug according to reports Ive read but I would never know it if I used the other 2 bugged players for comparison purposes. Do you see what Im getting at here? Some people are upset after they have bought a great player for a great set up like yours. I would love to have that Pioneer system. The Chroma Bug issue may be over done however it can be used as an INDICATOR, JUST an INDICATOR, of the quality of the parts that were used to build the player. People say that if the manufacturer does not care about the bug then they dont care about their product. I concur TO A POINT. That point comes when the overall picture quality, sound and convenience of a player out weighs an anomaly that you may never notice because the player as a whole was constructed with quality parts to deliver what you consider a great viewing experience. Why do I have 3 DVD players? The plain fact is that Im cotton pickin NUTS.I have DVDs, that in my opinion, look and sound better on one one player than another regardless of any performance issues that have been raised about them on the internet like the Chroma bug or how many rave reviews they have gotten from the so called experts. This disc sounds better on this player but sounds better on that player but skips on this player while the next disc has a problem with every player. Hey! I finally get to watch a movie after I escape from this straight jacket! Ahhhhhhhhh. Give me a break. The Holy Grail of DVD players has not been built. Period. They all have their little quirks and we try to use the information thats available to make the BEST choice we can within reason that applies to each of our circumstances. So relax and have fun or youll end up like me in them thar cotton fields singing Oh Suzanna, dont you cry for me. Im stuck in Pennsylvania , with a Chroma Bugged DVD 9.gif

BBB I knew it when I bought it. I read numerous reviews both "professionally" (use the tem loosely) and on forums. Personally I thnk the picture is unreal. The other thing is I am not the type of person that will go frame by frame thru a movie looking for something.

During my search for HT gear I found some reviews ripping what seemed to be a great piece of electronics. Why were they ripping on it because a button on the remote was not in there preferred location, a button felt mushy, the eject was too slow, spin up was .o3 seconds slower than brand x.

I saw the 45a in action and was thoroughly impressed. the 47ai was my choice for the i-link.

There are a number of hi-end players with the chroma bug. I would love for someone to come over my house, pull a movie off my shelf and show me the bug while the movie is playing. So many people talk about the chroma bug as if they have first hand experience in spotting it and that the picture is totally destroyed.

I did know the unit had the "bug" 2 months before I make my finally decision.

There will be ZERO hesitation in buying the DV45a for the upstairs HT plasma come december.

Legend9 you saw the Pioneer Elite 47ai in action did you see anything wrong with the picture?

Scott

Chroma bug may be a simple bug with a tiny picture flaw : you cannot be perfect. My denon 1600 has one of the most dumb functions , such as you can't skip chapters on DVD karaoke disks, as opposed to the half priced sony dvd I owned earlier. I'm just giving the original poster advice, that if he's going to buy a 1k or 2k dvd player, might as well be the best and free from flaws ( if ever possible), even from little ones like a chroma bug. However, to me, with a regular sony interlace tv, chroma or no chroma makes 100% no difference to me , it just there to comfort my arrogant wantings..... HECK , I don't even use the progressive function, so to tell the truth, any DVD is the same in my current setup: it is only my mind telling me its better since its an upgrade.

You got the speaker cables for me yet Scott ? Give me a price, no problem and I'll send it , okay ? I'll be home this week and early next week for family events.

BTW, ur PIONEER dvd is fionneeee, heck, I would try my current setup with yours

anyday. Heard from SVS you got any subwoofer, damnnnn.... when there's a house up there for sale next to yours, let me know ASAP ! ! !5.gif