BOSE 901s or Klipsch Chorus II NEED ADVICE

rrstones

yeah, not too, though

Bose system was afriends ...ummm, we listened to a lot of classical music with a wide soundstage ...ummm

on his sister's Advents, we listened to folr rock,

on Ralph Karsten's Khorns, we listened to everything - it all suonded good!

Just last year, while stationed in Turkey, at the local PX they had Chourus IIs side by side with 901's. We used to do A/B comparisons, but we were told to stop because the 901's were not selling. Do yourself a favor and keep those Chourus, if you sell them, you will not find a better speaker, unless you get some K-horns. Just my 2 cents.

------------------

Cruzer

• 2 years later...

----------------

On 1/11/2001 9:30:00 PM John Warren wrote:

If any of one of you guys saw "The Mountain" in Framingham, MA (Bose HQ) you'd think twice about poking fun at Amar Bose. If he wanted too, his organization could easily engineer superb loudspeakers, they have the money, the clout, the staff and the resources. But for what purpose? Why go to the trouble?

----------------

John, you're right on with that one ... I've been a salesman to Bose on and off for 15 years. The engineers there are top notch. Dr. Bose teaches acoustics at MIT. He's no slouch.

But he didn't become a billionairre by accident. He knows a mass market sales strategy and knows that women are influential buyers; he also knows that many are intimidated by selecting and setting up components. With his systems, you just plug them in and go. Kind of like Apple with their simple approach to computing.

Bose manufactures in Mexico and South Carolina. I've been through their plants. He has systems in automobiles. The Bose brand in well extended in many markets globally. His gross margins are in the 60-70%. He spends a LOT of money on advertising. He's without a doubt a rich genius.

I've never been to his home but I bet he's got a pair of Klipschorns somewhere. The tunneling/porting idea for the Wave radio probably came from PWK's Klipschorn design.

Chris,

No problem on picking up an old thread. I was reading it and composing a response to chime in on encouraging the guy to keep the Chorus. 6.gif

Then noticed the dates. Probably would have missed it otherwise. I wonder what he is listening to today???

Dee

John

You must be talking about the what 5 Bose building on the Hill surrounded by the other Genzyme buildings.

I almost fell for Bose but ended up with Klipsch. Glad I ran into the Tweeter salesman.

Bose has the highest WAF. some settle for that to appease the W.

Bruins, so are you a Bruins fan or a Devils fan? Maybe just a hockey fan :)

Yeah, the Bose campus is the place, right up the hill from Genzyme. Big place, good employer. Bose is one of the few companies in MA that haven't been through layoffs. In fact, they're still hiring I believe.

Like I said, I have a pair of Bose cubes above my Klipschorns as a permanent reminder of where my journey began. The contrast is startling. Maybe I'll shoot a picture and post it in this thread. It should be worth a chuckle.

First of all, you don't 'upgrade' to a 'smaller' speaker, especially when you're talking about Klipsch.

Second, are you F***ed up or what? Pull your head out of your a$$. This is a joke, right?

Ok. I'm laughing (hahahhahahahaha)

I've owned two pair of Bose, both back in the 70's when I first got into stereos. I had a pair of 301s which were not a bad thing for a first time stereo owner. I later upgraded to the 501s which were horrible. Lots of low end and little, if anything on the high end. At that point, I swore off Bose for life. I was introduced to Klipsch in the mid 80's and have stuck with them ever since. A friend of a friend has Bose 901s and has bragged and gone on and on about how great they are. I recently added a pair Klipsch bookshelf speakers and this individual tried to convince me to sell my 10.2s, forgoe the bookshelf Klipsch and invest in a pair of 901s. So I go over to their house and he plays them. He has the system cranking and they sound pretty good. However, I ask him to turn them down to a comfortable listening level and what a difference. The bass is extremely weak and (I'm not a audio expert, so bear with me on this) the spacing of the instruments was nowhere near as good as my 10.2s. I leave his house and go and get the bookshelf speakers and hook them up. They are much better sounding than the Bose, especially at lower volumes where the bass is clear and solid. I personally feel the 901s are overrated and based more on exaggeration and hype than actual performance.