Im going back to McIntosh AMPS !!!

j-malotky

----------------

On 4/3/2003 8:13:53 PM dndphishin wrote:

**some content snipped**

I've listened to Edster's Khorns driven by the Moondogs (SET), the Scott 299 integrateds, and the Jolida - all nice sounding setups, but these didn't quite have what I was looking for. What was it missing?? That SS brute feel - the guts, as it were. Sure the mids were smooth, but these just needed a bit stronger bottom.

**some content snipped**

----------------

Disclaimer:

This post is not intended to discount your preferences in anyway! It is for recollectional (is that a word) purposes only!

I just wanted to remind you that the K-horns were not in corners when you heard them with the Moondogs. They just had some MDF tacked up behind them in a lame attempt at false corners. I couldn't believe the difference the false corners made.I hope you make it down here again for another listening session (and that you have better weather on your way home)!

I have no doubt that 3 or 5 or 10wpc is not be enough power for many folks. I would not rule out ever getting another Mac amp and/or preamp. I would probably opt for a pair of MC30s though.

I did find the MC-2105/MC-32 combo to be a bit too "dark" sounding for my tastes when driving a pair of Forte's in an unfinished basement with a pool table between my listening position and the speakers. YMMV as always!

I love Mac gear...look at my signature 2.gif

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes Edster, you DO love Mac gear. Your sig says it all...and pretty soon you may be changing your sig with the addition of your Cornwalls and the SM-70, or however you finally decide to build it.

We're all MacHeads at heart!12.gif

Ed, I do recall this. That IS a point well taken by you. However, another complaint of mine regarding the moondogs was the "running together" at higher volumes. Those moondogs are oh-so-smooth and involving, but I was looking for a bit more ooomph. At 90db or less, they are awesome!! I do wish to hear the rig again, as well as those vertical Corns!

I am sure that there are tube amps out there that probably would satisfy my tastes, but I have a feeling that the cost would outweigh the benefits, at least for me. I find the cost/benefit of the SS Mac to be very suitable.

dndphishin,

If I'm not mistaken the only 299B you have heard was mine in Chicago right ? I would hardly base your assumptions on loose bass with the setup that was played there. First off Heresy's are not known for there bass ! Second off they were setup at least 6' from the back wall hardly Ideal for bass ! Also the amp in question was fine tuned for my Lascala's and puts out way more bass then the Heresy can ever handle hence the rolled off flabby Bass sound !! I remember talking with Alfredo and we both said the same thing " those Heresy's are trying but they just can't produce the bass that the 299B is putting out"

If anyone could hear my 299B on my Lascalas you would be litterally amazed !! The last thing it lacks is tight bass response on a folded horn speaker.

Craig

Craig:

Given your assessment of the Scott on the LaScalas, do you think this would still be applicable on Cornwalls (not horn loaded bass)?

And yes, Craig, I was "extrapolating" with your Scott at the horn meeting. I still have a standing challenge though: Those Macs are sitting there like Eveready batteries on Robert Conrad's shoulder, daring a comparably priced rig to "knock it off". I'm always open to building a better mousetrap (especially for the same or less dollars), so I do retain an open mind to the concept. Still, old habits die hard - I heard Mac SS driving klipsch when I first discovered klipsch - and was addicted from the beginning.

I am going to hook up a tube pre/tuner into the 2 channel rig though (Mac MX-110), as well as a tube CD player, so I'm not abandoning the concept of tubes entirely12.gif

dndphishin

I am going to put you over in the same corner I have NOZ and j-malotky. Your evil just like them. You keep tempting me. I tried to ignore there pokes and prods to get some heritage speakers, but look what happen, I bought some belles, it's their fault 2.gif. I get my mind made up on something and you, not unlike them, gotta keep tempting me. Just like someone on a diet and thier significant other brings home a big ol greesy pizza. Only here I get my mind made up on a Scott and then you gotta post your incredibly tempting post on the McIntosh.

Damn you! 3.gif9.gif

dndphishin,

What is this challenge exactly what cost ?? I love a challenge !

I will be trying my 299B on a set of Cornwalls so I will leave those comments for after that trial. I had my ST-70 on a set of homebrew Corns the other day. The Bass sounded darn good to me for a EL-34 amp.

Craig

MC250.jpg

----------------

On 4/4/2003 11:41:38 AM m00n wrote:

..."I get my mind made up on a Scott and then you gotta post your incredibly tempting post on the McIntosh.

Damn you!"
3.gif9.gif

----------------

C'mon m00n...look at those sexy lines. Ain't she a thing of beauty? How can you say no to that pretty chrome and black faceplate? She's beggin' for ya to take her home to your Belles!9.gif

post-11084-13819246874588_thumb.jpg

----------------

On 4/4/2003 7:53:30 PM Pland wrote:

Hey Moon,

Think H/K Citation II.Hangs notes out in the air(as only tubes can do),and has bass control like SS.I bet Craig would love to rebuild one for you.Jim McShane did mine,and it's a dandy.

Best,

Pat

----------------

Really? Seems as though I recently seen one of those on eBay. Would be kind cool. All my other gear is harman.

MC250a.jpg

The harman/kardon Citation Series are excellent tube gear, and Jim McShane is a guru in restoring these (I bought my JAN Philips tubes for my preamp from him)...

But look at the Mac...she's so cute and cuddly, and will forever play with your Belles if you let her.

And no, ya gotta get yer own!11.gif

post-11084-13819246875128_thumb.jpg

LOL!9.gif

Wish I could, Craig. I'm just messin' with ol' m00n! I wouldn't mind him considering a McIntosh SS (or tube), but if he chooses an H.H. Scott, EICO, or h/k Citation, that's all good! If I had the funds right now, I wouldn't mind a vintage Fisher vacuum tube receiver!

----------------

On 4/3/2003 6:07:32 PM NOZ wrote:

JM,

Is the MC250 a mono block or 2 x 50 watts. That can be bridged to mono??

Thanks

Noz

BTW-they look amazing, probably sound that way too..

Cheers

----------------

Noz, out of box it is a 50 Watt 2 ch amp. There is a mono switch to turn it into a 100 watt mono. the only other thing to mono it is to tie the two outputs together. for 8 ohm khorns you tie the 16 ohm outputs on both strips.

Pretty easy.

So I suppose Im evan more evil now that good old m00n will have to buy two amps instead of one to drive his new evil Belles.11.gif

And yes m00n, it does improve the sound having mono amps. Very much so IMO. Would I ever give bad advise. How bout those Belles.

Enjoy1.gif

JM

MC250b.jpg

Here m00n, it's the Mac of your dreams! You eat, sleep, think, dream about this Mac making your Belles very, very happy!3.gif

It's calling out to you! m00n...m00n...

But at $700, forget it! They can be had much cheaper (mine was $475).

post-11084-13819246876652_thumb.jpg

Yes, JM, two is most certainly better than one11.gif But in the interest of fiscal responsibility on the part of Mr. m00n, I think he would be quite pleased with what one of these can do.

Craig: Let's start with your upcoming review on the Scott/Cornwall. I am very interested in how this turns out. I kept thinking that whole drive home how that Scott would sound on my Corns. I may actually have a use for such a device, since I may be setting up a system for a friend within the next month or two - and the Scott may be just the ticket for this.

I've got a lot on my 2 channel plate right now too, but as soon as things settle in with that, I'll be looking to try out new things as always. Maybe we can do an amp showdown in the 1K range in the not too distant future!

I completely blew it with regard to the scheduling of the Lima weekend - I thought it was Easter weekend - but it's next weekend (DOH!!). I'm going to try to make this anyway. You gonna be there??

BTW Craig - I missed out on the Croft amplifier at the Chicago meeting. I have a feeling that was a mistake, but it wasn't all bad - that early departure led to a major score on a set of '76 Corns - but I am sorry I missed this.

JT, nice job on the pics1.gif