Cornwall doesn't seem so big now.....

That is simply the volume called for in order to use the Altec 416B in a ported box tuned to 24hz, the rest of the box is a way to house the Altec 515C, the Altec 511B horn (802G driver) and the JBL2404H tweeter.

It is basically a simple design concept and easy for a tyro to construct, although mdeneen's help and previous experience paved the way.

It was fun to paint. The paint job is the secret to the great sonics, the colors and patterns were chosen for the sonic properties. It really works for those who can hear the difference. The paint job damps the box in a precisely random and desirable way.

And, it didn't cost much more than my Cornwalls.

C&S

I am very glad I put casters under them! Also glad they are finally in place and essentially finished, and I can get back to the focus of listening to music. I had them breifly hooked up in tri-amp and it sounded promising. I had to put the crossover into the shop for some repairs and now am temporarily running the two woofers in paralell with just one Carver SS amp. They still sound great since the Altec 515C is virtually a full range speaker. I am anxious to get back to tweaking the tri-amp set up and learning the best place to make all the crossover points with this set up. The bass response is giving me what I wanted especially with the Carver TFM-55.

I am looking forward to getting the tubes behind these.

C&S

I can hardly wait for the next wine tasting (it's at your place, right?), where you break everyone's wine glasses with the sound from those AWESOME speakers! It's time for you to change you avatar...

Phoene

Clipped,

Won't your crossover point between the woofers and squawker be primarily determined by how low the driver/lens of the squawker can go?

I guess I would crossover as low as possible.

Dean,

With the active I will probably use my ears to determine crossover points. The 515C is so sweet that I will want to use a lot of it, putting the 416B down below 150hz and the 511B/802G up around 2000hz. There are many possibilities and I might find myself messing with it just for fun and experience. The tweeter crosses passively at 7000hz and if I want to use the 511B/802G to cover the entire upper end which it is certainly capable of (with the tangerine phase plug in the 802) I can simply take the tweeter out of the system if I want. What I like here is the very big sound, it fills the house and then some. The Cornwalls are still in place for a secondary system that I can experiment with....just ready for some SETs someday....if I can find the right bargain or build one from scratch.....who knows. Right now I have a new batch of vintage Cuban vinyl to clean and evaluate.

fini, yah, I will have no excuse to not host a wine tasting when the weather gets nicer. Good motivation to clean the rest of the house.

Remember that tv commercial with the glass breaking.....who was that singer?....

C&S

Getting this on the road again seems like a nice spring-time project. It will NOT get the usual paint job, but rather a traditional two tone, but in metallics. This is a Dodge pick up ,not a BMW or Sunday race car, but is very useful for hauling lots of great 25 cent vinyl treasures and old tube consoles from the local thrift stores. This "job rated" style was from 1941 to 1947. It has running boards as you can see.

C&S

post-8419-13819246883742_thumb.jpg