Tube or Solid State?

big_gto

I can't a difference. What am I supposed to be listening for? A dull sound like comparing CDs to LPs? Why spend big $$$$ on a measely 50 - 100 watt tube amp? Is the price differnces between Tube & SS really justified when 100 watts won't power a decent subwoofer?

The best argument as to which- tube or SS- is better for you will be made by your ears. You need to do some listening. Noone here can do that on your behalf.

As a general rule SS amps are less expensive per watt than tube amps and may well be the optimum choice when driving low efficiency speakers. That said tube amps of reasonable power can be had at reasonable cost. My 30 watt/channel tube amp sells for $800.00 new in the U.S.

Klipsch speakers do not require a lot of power to perform as they are extremely efficient.Some commonly available speakers require as much as 20 times as much amplifier power to reach concert hall levels as do Klipsch.

Subwoofers whether from Klipsch or anyone else do require a lot of power because they must move a lot of air at very low frequencies and SS is the most economical way to generate sufficient power.

What speakers are you going to be driving?

BTW, decent tube amps do not sound 'dull' when compared to most solid state in the same price range. In fact, the treble 'sparkles' when compared to the dry top end of most solid state.

One of the most misunderstood concepts in audio is that of wattage, or power. For solid state, it is high current power you should be looking for. My Harman Kardon AVR-125 used in my HT set-up is rated at 50 watts in 2 channel stereo mode and literaly blows away my old Sony 120 watt unit. Reason? The HK has +/- 25 amps of current. Think of it as acceleration in a car. More important to get from zero to 60 quick than to be able to go 140mph.

In general, most tubes watts equal 2-3 SS watts. My Jolida tube amp is rated at 40 watts but in actiallity would only put out about 30-35 according to tests. It blows away the HK and at half-volume shakes my entire house. And, is probably only putting out a few watts in doing so.

Just my 2 cents. I spent years thinking total watts was the big picture until a smart Klipsch audio guy educated me and did a demo. And, with Klipsch speakers rated in he high 90db/W-m category you don't need much juice. It is the main reason so many people here can pair Klipsch speakers with low wattage tube gear. We can get the beautiful tube sound at resonable $$ in a tube amp.

Mike

Big GTO

I would, as a general rule, say for home theatre go with SS. And an HT/amp/ processor that has what you want as a sound source- dolby digital,(Whatever version the first number is the number of speakers you can use, followed by a dot and the number one. IE 7.1 = seven speakers and a center.) dts, whatever... and remember THX is a standard, not a specific channel configuration. (FYI, Most Klipsch speakers, go far above and lower than the THX specs require for certification.)

If this is for music, especially with the Heritage Klipschorn, I think a lot of people have discovered the "beauty and pureness of lifelike sound" of a little Tube amp with a good clean 5 watts will just about rock the plaster off the walls on a Klipschorn.

Hope this helps. I agree with prior people on the Klipsch BB too. What "your" ears tell you, is the final say for you.

----------------

On 4/8/2003 3:44:03 AM big_gto wrote:

I can't a difference. What am I supposed to be listening for? A dull sound like comparing CDs to LPs? Why spend big $$$$ on a measely 50 - 100 watt tube amp? Is the price differnces between Tube & SS really justified when 100 watts won't power a decent subwoofer?

----------------

I think that tube amps are usually a bargain. You can buy a $500 tube amp that can in many cases can out perform a $1500 SS amp. Now if you are just buying watts, then yes tubes are more expensive. If you are buying sound quality, tube amps are, in my opinion, much cheaper than SS.

It really is personal preference though. I built a kit tube amp for $139. Kicks my Onkyo TS-DS595's(~$700) ***. I know there are tons of SS amps out there that sound MUCH better than my small 8wpc tube amp, but not any at $139. I am a poor college student, so I am interested in the best bang for the buck. One of the reasons Klipsch is hooked up to both my amps. So you shouldn't buy an amp just because it is tube or SS, but the way it sounds and whats available in your price range.

I did listen to 1997 k-horns powered by a Carey tube amp. Yes, for 30 watts it was awesome. I couldn't tell if it a had a tube sound at all. Currently my Klipsch kg 4.2s are powered by a Carver C-1 & M-400t combo and sound fantastic. I doubt that when I step up to the Heritage series that I'll change amp. T

hanks for the input.

I did listen to 1997 k-horns powered by a Carey tube amp. Yes, for 30 watts it was awesome. I couldn't tell if it a had a tube sound at all. Currently my Klipsch kg 4.2s are powered by a Carver C-1 & M-400t combo and sound fantastic. I doubt that when I step up to the Heritage series that I'll change amp. Thanks for the input.