I'm in love.....(boom)...... I'm all caulked up !!

Well, after reading numerous posts about caulking the woofer baskets of Cornwalls to improve bass/mid-bass response, I decided to give this little tweek a try.

I decided on a self-adhesive bathroom caulk that is designed to fold and go on the tub and wall edge around a bathtub. Having the fold worked well for forming the strip around the ridge in each of the woofer baskets ridges.

16 uniform strips of caulk later, with woofers remounted in the cabinets, I can honestly say this by far the best tweek I have ever done to any speaker, certainly in the

"bang for the buck" department.

The whole bottom end improved, especially bass drums. Much tigher, better defined.

Bass lines are better detailed, little slides on the neck, timbre elements that define the type/brand of bass guitar are heard. Stand-up up basses have "more wood" !!

Anyway, thanks for those who offered up this suggestion. For $4.29, I am sold 1.gif

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After reading something about damping on this forum, I applied some of that Dynamite that everyone was talking about to my Cornwall horns and also my Woofer's basket. I think someone here also said something about being sure to have fuses in the system, so I added them also. Hope I got this right. I think these things are ready to blow now.

C&S

I was hoping to get banned so I can visit with all the past celebrities who hang out there in that other parallel bizarro universe of the slightly altered and tweaked Kleepsch Foreem where things like upper air (90khz and beyond) and black hole blackness blow up real good down below 20hz and wire direction and symmetrical plaid turntable platter pad textures definitely matter and talk show parrots teach post grad courses in x-rated stand up comedy...... huh?

S&C

Caulking the woofer basket doe,s not improve bass performence. Stamped metal baskets have a tendency to deform when tightening down. Thats why cast woofer baskets do better & do not misshape at voice coil gap. Caulking on basket or magnet structure is overkill & does not improve bass clarity. Apply Caulking to BRAIN has same results. Its an obsessive over application of vibration controll where NONE is needed. Ive done the testing many years ago. No clarity was produced None audible & NONE in distortion tests.

----------------

On 4/9/2003 10:11:26 AM horonzak wrote:

Caulking the woofer basket doe,s not improve bass performence. Stamped metal baskets have a tendency to deform when tightening down. Thats why cast woofer baskets do better & do not misshape at voice coil gap. Caulking on basket or magnet structure is overkill & does not improve bass clarity. Apply Caulking to BRAIN has same results. Its an obsessive over application of vibration controll where NONE is needed. Ive done the testing many years ago. No clarity was produced None audible & NONE in distortion tests.

----------------

Dangz... As a fellow caulker of the K33 basket, and one who *thought* there was possibly an improvement, I was pleased to read about another forum member who tried Dean's mod and found improvement. I was thinking to myself "Maybe it wasn't just all in my head". Then I get to above post and, boy, was that bubble burst. Guess I'm back to "Man, I think that did make a difference but I'm just not 100% sure". Although, I'm not sure caulking my brain would have the same results. My brain was neither stamped nor cast, but rather seems rather organic. It may help seal things up reduce my forgetfulness, however.

Mace

Jason a picture is attached (per your request)of a minimal use of robe caulk on the woofer basket. Minimal use is not right or wrong, it is just how I choose to implement the tweek.

It made an improvement.

As a side note: I applied this without removing the woofers, so torking the woofer is/was not an issue.

Mike

post-7868-13819246934392_thumb.jpg

----------------

On 4/10/2003 7:37:18 AM fini wrote:

Thanks for calling you "Jason?"
9.gif

fini

----------------

Silly fini, TRICKS are for kids 9.gif

Thanks for the picture, why do people call me Jason. Better? LoL!

I was called John today. Why oh why...... Of course I answered to it. Ack. I just encourage them.

----------------

On 4/10/2003 9:20:39 PM Good2BHome wrote:

J U S T I N,

My
apologies
. I my case, I know better. I just was not paying attention, but I hope the picture helped.

Mike
----------------

LoL! Not a problem. My ex-girlfriend's dad still thinks my name is Jason. I am used to it. (btw, we dated for like 2 years... you would think her dad would learn a name by then haha)

and thanks again for the pictures, i was "picturing" people caulking the horn lense itself, not the outside but the INSIDE! Yikes haha