I Got Cornwalled This Weekend!

Yes. I am the proud new owner of some Klipsch Cornwalls.That was the reason I started the "Security" thread. It was all I could do to keep my mouth shut about them until I got some answers.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3017595802&ssPageName=ADME:B:BN:US:1

9.gif God I`m so happy. What does the serial# contain as far as information,year made and so on? I`ve e-mailed the guy a couple of times and he`s really cool. Needed to get rid of them cause he`s moving to a smaller place. He has super nice equipment so I know he has taken good care of them. So I need a shipping strategy. Suggestions anyone?

I`ll do that. Post more pictures that is. I went through all of Moon`s threads this morning. He sounded like me doing the ebay thing. I could hardly type I was so nervous. I had been watching them all week and bid at the very end. Got out bid and went at it again. I was shocked when I won. And so happy. Anyway, sounds like a great shipper. But these are a little smaller than Belles, and I`m wondering if UPS could do the job.

P4122200.jpg

Congrats on becoming a new Cornwall owner! You will be totally satisfied with these horn speakers. Mine have been in the family now for 24 years, and I have no intentions of ever selling them.

If I'm not mistaken, yours were built in 1985 (but I could be wrong). The Cornwalls are taller than the Belle Klipsch, but the Belles are somewhat wider (and heavier, I think). I don't think UPS can ship the Cornwalls; they have certain size/weight restrictions. Contact UPS for details. You may be better off with a freight service who can professionally crate them. Maybe you could even contact Mail Boxes Etc. and see what they can tell you. I assume you don't live near the seller to where you can just drive there and pick them up yourself.

Anyway, congrats again, and good luck with the shipping. Once you get them setup, you will be amazed at how wonderful they'll sound...you'll wonder how you were able to stand listening to music without them!4.gif

post-11084-13819246971432_thumb.jpg

Well, Middle-man, I am quite flattered! That's one of my Cornwalls...I took that photo yesterday afternoon with my digital Olympus C-3020 on a Bogen tripod, and cropped the image on Photoshop 7.0. You really printed that photo? It is pretty, isn't it? Can't compare to your wife, of course; especially since she paid for your "new" old Cornwalls! What a gal...you lucky dog!16.gif

----------------

On 4/13/2003 5:42:48 PM jt1stcav wrote:

Well, Middle-man, I am quite flattered! That's one of my Cornwalls...I took that photo yesterday afternoon with my digital Olympus C-3020 on a Bogen tripod, and cropped the image on Photoshop 7.0. You really printed that photo? It is pretty, isn't it? Can't compare to your wife, of course; especially since she paid for your "new" old Cornwalls! What a gal...you lucky dog!
16.gif

----------------

I really printed it. And it turned out great on my Epson 825. If my speakers look anything like that,man! Yeah, I am one lucky dog. My wife did`nt blink when I told her the price had jumped from $425 to over $700. Needless to say, I did some house cleaning today.12.gif

middle-85_cornwalls.jpg

Are you kiddin'? Your new Cornwalls are way prettier, with their finished walnut(?) veneer (mine are unfinished raw birch that my dad had stained when he bought them new in '79; I kinda wished he left them raw birch instead). But I can live with that...they were handed down to my brother, and I traded my Magnepans for the Cornwalls...we're both happy campers now!

Your new purchase is really special, seeing how your wife didn't even flinch when the bidding war hiked the price up to $735.50 for the pair. From the way they look, I'd say they're worth it! If you haven't ever heard a set of Cornwalls in their proper placement, connected to excellent sources, playing your favorite music, then you are in for one hell of a treat, my friend. Just think how your Integra will now be idling by when you're listening to your music at 100dB, and your amp will only be pumping out less than 2 of its 75 watts per channel! It won't even get hot!9.gif

post-11084-13819246972812_thumb.jpg

MY GOD! Those are my cornwalls on the Klipsch Forum. They are good look`en. Thanks. I am so worried about shipping. Big,bulky and heavy. That`s a recipe for destruction my friend. I`ve read all the threads concerning shipping. That is what makes me afraid. Very afraid. Anyway, got to go to work. I`ll know more tommorrow.

MC,

I looked into shipping last week . The Corns will be even larger than my speakers, so it's pretty safe to say that they'll be beyond the UPS limits for size and weight. FedEx ground allows a slightly larger size (140 in. length+girth) but has 70lb limit for residential delivery. I ended up with truck freight set up through the the local franchisee of the Packaging Store. Not sure how much difference between the individual stores, but I suspect there's quite a bit of flexibility in the MU. They were significantly less than the next best option for me.

John

Congatulations! I'm sure you'll be as happy with yours as I have been with mine.

Just be careful in your choice of shippers. UPS has been particularly destructive of late around here (St. Louis) You might want to consider a road trip. The Cornwalls fit quite neatly into the back of a Subaru Outback or Pontiac Aztek. Plus you could get some frozen custard at Ted Drewes and take in a ball game.

9.gif

Congrats on yer purchase! As to the finish, I bought my Khorns raw birch and now wish they were a walnut finish. Check into Fedex.com. Depending on your zip code and the origin zip of the seller, maybe you could have either Fedex Express 3 day service or Fedex Ground do it. Weight limit is 150 lbs per pkg. Hopefully, mr Seller will package it up well (no matter who you use to ship). Check out the web site for info. Good luck!

besides the birth of my son, 1 of the best days of my adult life was the day my corns arrived, ahhhhh, those sweet thunderous cornscongrats my friend, care for them, they will sure care for you, you about to listen in an entirely diffenent manner, what were you using?12.gif

I agree with what the others have posted above. Do choose your shipper carefully. I used UPS 3 years ago when I purchased my Cornwalls from Ebay to be shipped from Ft Launderdale to Singapore and they got dinged at the corners and the crossovers got dislodged. Ensure that the speakers are either crated or double-boxed with loads of foam peanuts or choice of protective material.

Enjoy these awesome speakers!9.gif

I agree with what the others have posted above. Do choose your shipper carefully. I used UPS 3 years ago when I purchased my Cornwalls from Ebay to be shipped from Ft Launderdale to Singapore and they got dinged at the corners and the crossovers got dislodged. Ensure that the speakers are either crated or double-boxed with loads of foam peanuts or choice of protective material.

Enjoy these awesome speakers!9.gif

I had my first pair of Cornwalls shipped via UPS from NY state to Atlanta. The seller had the original foam lined boxes, which slightly exceeded UPS allowable dimensions. The seller called UPS for a one-time pickup and mis-quoted one dimension by ~1" which made the package comply with the UPS size requirements.

When the driver came to pick up the speakers he said: "Man, those are big"...the seller replied: "Yep, they just squeezed in under the size limit". They arrived at my office without damage.

I've never shipped anything as big as a Cornwall, but I do have an extra pair I'll eventually sell, and maybe have to ship. When that time comes, I believe I'll fully wrap each with 1 1/2"-2" styrofoam sheeting, then 3/8"-1/2" plywood, finishing with 1X fir bracing/skids at all corners. If using a shipper, both Corns could be in one box, then attached to a pallet. Probably send disassembly instructions, too.

fini