Academy anyone?

bev

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bev,

When you get your Academy, let us know if aniticipation was greater than realization. I recently aquired a single Heresy (placed under the TV with KG-4 L&R in my upstairs HT) and have been shocked at what I was missing through my previous (weak) center speaker. The Heresy's midrange provides excellent focus, clarity and projection. Although I have been trying to land an Academy, I'd just like to know how it compares to a speaker like the Heresy. An Academy would presume a position of visual dominance on top of the set but I would like to try one with my oak Quartets, should I luck upon one. Or I may just try locating two more vintage Heresys instead.

Believe me, when, not if, but WHEN I get my Academy, I'll definitely let you know if it lives up to it's reputation. Although I'm pretty sure it will.

See, last year I was hellbent on using a Forte II as a center, and I actually passed on an Academy...but my best bud got it, and is using it with his setup, which is identical to mine. When I realized I didn't have the room to use a Forte, I of course begged him for his. Can you believe he told me no?!

So it's back to the search!!! and yeah, I saw the newest on eBay...looks a bit beat up...

Bev

Hello:

To all you folks here that have Forte II's and Chorus II's, I have a question. How does the bass of the Chorus II's sound versus the Forte II's. I have the Forte II's and love the powerfull bass, but I wonder if the Chorus II's would have stronger, more powerfull bass, because of the 15" woofer versus the 12" of the Forte II's. The weird thing is that the Forte II specs go lower in the bass than do the specs of the Chorus II's(39 Hz). I know that the spec is not the only raing to go by, but, the Forte II bass spec,at 32 Hz is lower than any Klipsch speaker that I have checked on including the Klipschorn!

Thanks for any opinions.

Mike Frankel

Mike,

My quick reply is that the Forte II has deeper bass than the Chorus II, but the Chorus has more "presence" in the mid and upper frequencies (not sure how else I can describe it). I originally audiitoned the Forte II and loved it, and then the sales guy encouraged me to listen to the Chorus II. The bass was not nearly as deep, but the soundstage was bigger and more dynamic (IMHO). I walked out with the Chorus II's.

C

Say it ain't so!!!!

Luchenback BIDDING on an Academy????

wait...let me get up off the floor...

oh, and Mike...regarding your question about Fortes and Chorus'...if I had to choose one, the Chorus would win, hands down. Yeah, the Fortes have the bigger bass, but the whole package with the Chorus is unbelievable! Close your eyes and you're there...

and that's why the perfect setup (for me - IMHO) is

Chorus II mains and Forte II rears...tremendous soundstage and no sacrifice in bass.

Totally agree with Bev on the Forte II and Chorus II. BTW, looks like the Academy auction ended early. Wonder what the final price was???

Edit: Mike, check my response to the Forte II/Chorus II debate in your post on the 2-ch forum.

Yes, that was me bidding on the academy. I figured that I could use my existing two academy's as surrounds, and the ebay one for a center. I would prefer to use Forte's as surrounds, but my room is too small, and the significant other won't allow me to do that unless I build an expasion on the house for a home theater system. It is much cheaper to buy an academy. It is wild that you could get a pair of Forte's much cheaper than a single Academy. Supply and Demand I guess.

Now, if I could just get one more academy for the rear center ...

G-

The auction that just ended was closed by the seller prior to finishing. Someone must have made him a behind the scenes offer on it, it was at around $510 last I saw it in my Watchlist. It is best to try and catch them when they pop up on a Buy it Now deal hopefully at a fair price. Are the parts available from Klipsch still, why not purchase the woofers & tweeter. Get a copy of the schematic for the crossover and build one using top notch parts and build the simple rectangular enclosure. Should easily come together for less than $500 including the effort. Just a thought. Cheaper to split a pair of Heresy or Heresy II's though. They will still sound good lying on their side.

I was just kidding on the rear center, and am not planning on buying one.

I think that is a good idea about building a custom center, and it has intrigued me, as there is a pair of K-53K midrange drivers on ebay, which is the same as in my forte's. There is also a K-77 tweeter. If I were confident on which woofer to use and how to build a crossover, then I would attempt it. Since most of the music is in the midrange, I think that the timbre' match would be the best that could be attained, short of having a full sized speaker as the center.

As far as buying an academy, it frustrated me when they were either being sold outside of the auction, or having one sold almost immediately with a 'buy it now' price. I was also hoping to get one for $300 by waiting and sniping, but they never last until the auction ends. So, I finally resigned myself to the fact that I'm not one of the lucky ones to get a low price, and the going rate seems to be $500-$600. I thought that it was outrageous since they were only $400 when they were new. But that is supply and demand, and with the RC-7s retailing for $800, then that price doesn't seem so bad. Especially when you consider that the RC-7's are ported, which gives added distortion, and the Academy's are of a sealed design.

G-