porting

donziman

The question isn't can you port them, it's why would you want to? An accoustic suspension will by far produce the cleanest and crispist sound. This comes at the price of a little efficiency, but it's worth it. Besides, ports have to be properly tuned to sound right. Don't wreck a perfectly good set of speakers and leave em the way they are. If you really wanna mod em, rebuild the crossover.

I bought a pair of HIPs. The woofer is much different and the cabinet is taller. The Heresy woofers can be used in ported cabinets and get Cornwall performance. The cabinet required has roughly 3 times the internal volume. A better optimized woofer could be used and a smaller cabinet would be the result.

You cannot poke a hole in your cabinet and have it work.

The Heresy is not an acoustic suspension design. It is a closed box design.

There are two basic types of closed-box systems: the infinite baffle (IB) and the air (acoustic) suspension (AS).

The IB enclosure is made somewhat larger so the compliance of the air within the enclosure is greater than the compliance of the driver suspension (Heresy).

A closed-box loudspeaker becomes an acoustic suspension speaker when the compliance of the air volume inside the box is less than the compliance of the woofer by a factor of three or more. These typically use long(er)-throw drivers which will, by their very nature, exhibit higher levels of frequency modulation distortion.

The proper drivers for each of these types of systems are generally not interchangable.

Probably not on the same idea, but when I was building my center channel using Heresy parts, I dropped an Infinity 12" sub into the empty Heresy cabinet (it started as a joke) & connected it to a 100wpc amp, and we were amazed in how good it worked. I then cut a new back panel & installed a port tube, & all it did was make noise. It now has the original sealed back panel on it & is my permanent sub. I was quoted $250 to have a custom cabinet made for these drivers.

If you like to play (like most on this forum do), cut out a new back panel & try a few different port sizes. You will have some fun for sure, & if it does not work out, you still have the original back.