Opinions on Salamander AV stands

shoe11

After having uploaded pictures of my system and having TheEar call me out for not having my equipment in a proper audio stand 9.gif, I placed an order today for the Salamander Synergy Twin 30 which will look exactly like the one in the attached picture.

Just curious if anyone else on here has a Salamander and how you like it.

~shoe

post-9872-13819247055792_thumb.jpg

Take it easy here,I was joking.But yes a quality stand will add to the value of your system.

I think you made a good choice

Me I have Lovan Sovergein(main system),Premiere and Atlantis Reference(secondary system).

Befire I was like you,I had stacks of quality gear standing on $35 cofee tables and cheapo TV stands.Until one day one stack almost collapsed under over 250lbs of stuff! LOL I got the scare of my life and decided to invest in audio racks.

What quality audio racks should provide is a stable and as vibration free support for your gear as possible plus proper space for good ventilation.

Way to go Shoe

----------------

On 4/21/2003 6:22:04 PM Audio Flynn wrote:

I buy the equipment and my wife gets to pick the racks. A fair compromise.

----------------

That's how it was at my house also. When we were finishing the basement 2 channel room my wife had all these visions of furniture to put down there. I nipped that in the bud, I told her 1 chair...that's it. We compromised on 2 chairs and 2 small end tables and the equipment rack. I picked out the chairs and she picked out the end tables. We agreed on the Salamander Synergy Twin 30 rack with Cherry shelves, and black perforated doors. It has proven to be very sturdy, stable and looks great! We get compliments on it from most everyone who sees it.

IMBO you made a good choice, Shoe!

Hey Ed,

I was thinking of upgrading to the Salamander racks you've highlighted...even the same color scheme...cherry with black. Do you have any photos of your set-up?? I seem to recall some previous photos when you completed your listening room, but I'm not sure if the Salamader racks were evident. I'd like to get a view of them in action, other than the standard photos on the Salamader website.

Thanks!

Colin

Nope, that's not mine m00n. That is a site I ran across while looking for info.

Wow! That flexi does look nice. The brass threaded rod is pretty pricey, but the brass flat washers are ridiculous. Looks nice though.

Keith

Here's a shot of the room the day I put the speakers in. I'll take a better (closer) photo of the rack tonight when I get home.

2channelroom1.jpg

I also have a flash unit for my camera now and I can get better color balance in the photo, the carpet does not really look as bad as it does in this photo.

At the risk of putting words in Ed's mouth, those false corners are amazing. I got a chance to listen to that system several months ago and was amazed. By using the false corners, you can toe them in/out and make the sweet spot wherever you desire. In their current location, the best spot is about 12-13' into the room and the sound is incredible. If he were to leave them in the natural corners, the sweet spot would be maybe half the distance.

Additionally, he built "floors" for the corners so that he can rotate the whole unit as needed. The false corners really help with the bass response of the Khorns and will be something I will build for my pair.

Now I'll let Ed fill in the rest of the story.9.gif

Thanks for the comments! jhawk92 expained the false corners very well.

The dimensions of the room are ~14' x 24'. If I had used the natural corners of the room the axis of the speakers (the sweet spot) would cross way too far forward in the room, right in front of the TV set. I used the false corners to angle the speakers deeper into the room so I could sit faarther back nearer the center of the room. This did narrow the distance between the K-horns but it moved the point where the horns cross to ~13' or so from the speakers. I have 2 chairs in the room, if I am listening alone I center one chair aboout 12' or 13' back and I am in the sweet spot. If we are using both chairs we sit about ~16'-17' back which makes the speakers cross in front of us and it widens the sweet spot but it is not as "sweet".

m00n, I didn't give her a choice about the false corners. I explained why we needed them and I let her pick out the end tables (with my input).

Ok, here are a couple of shots I just took...

The front:

2channelfront.jpg

You might notice the lonely amp stand to the left of the TV, I should be getting the Moondogs back in place on Thursday! Meanwhile the very capable Monarchy SM-70 is pulling stereo duty driving the new Cornwalls.

The seats:

2channelseats.jpg

shoe11, the TV is a 36" WEGA

m00n, the false corners were planned on from the very start of the project :)

----------------

On 4/22/2003 4:50:02 PM edster00 wrote:

m00n, the false corners were planned on from the very start of the project
:)

----------------

Nooooooooo! You ruined it for me, I had great respect for you, I thought you were a manly man and told your wife the way it was gonna be! 9.gif

J/K 2.gif

Damn Ed... You are in serous need of a projector and screen in that room.