Your First Music With Your New Speakers

If we're into old rock and roll.

For pop, Mr. Builder and I are almost in agreement on Loggins & Messina.

He likes House at Pooh Corner. I like And Be Free.

For old rock and roll concept albums . . . I like Sgt. Pepper, and much of Tommy. Moody Blues was mentioned above. Days of Futures Past is hard to beat for classical integration, the rock parts are jarring in comparison. Sheherzade by Renesanse (sp?) is an old favorite, though the male singer is off key.

I'll also go with Bridge of Sighs or Hendrix doing All Along the Watchtower (the latter is the best of two worlds. Dylan music, no Dylan singing).

There are too many classical items to mention.

Gil

Interesting thread, when I "first" heard the Khorn it was Sultans of Swing by Dire Straits, blew me away, SOLD. Then some folk with Gordon Lightfoot, nice smooth. Followed with some "old" rock with Uriah Heep and Magicians Birthday on LP of course with a friends TT.

Then, my young era, ACDC, Black in Black, "Hells Bells"...deep and rich, and on a musical side Supertramp, "Crime of the Century"...1.gif

My fav off course orchestral, Tom Cochrane and Red Rider, recorded live with the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra, recorded in 88, OUCH, and yes I was there, ticket stub is framed with alot of other concert stubs. 10.gif

Same as Procol Harum recorded live with, the ESO in the 70's. Rock with an Orchestra and recorded live is something else IMO 2.gif

To add, The Moody Blues, recorded live at Red Rock is another fav, as well as Eric Clapton Unplugged, anything live makes them totally stand out IMO2.gif

interesting thread, interesting responses. just prepeare yourself, those corns sound different than other speakers you have heard before. they will shock, amayze, please... after you do the music thing, try lotr on dvd, it has 1 of the best sound tracks, and for awhile, try it without sub, the lfe in those mighty corns will blow you away12.gif

My dad originally bought the Cornwalls back in '79 (I was 17 then), but I remember his first LP played through them was "Bach Organ Favorites - played by E. Power Biggs": Columbia Masterworks MS 6261...an old LP from either the late 60's or early 70's.

When I traded my brother my Magnepans for our dad's Cornwalls, my very first CD was one I knew quite well, "Virgil Fox" - Selections of Bach, Franck, Dupre...LaserLight 15 313 (originally recorded in '77, and touted as the very first digital recording made in the USA). From organ music on to rock; my second pick was none other than "Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms" LP, and lastly, "Jimmy Rogers - Blue Bird": Analogue Productions Originals AAPO 2001, a superbly recorded blues LP!

After listening to these 3 recordings, I knew I had a set of horn speakers for life!

Depends what you like.

Some of my favs.

Pink floyd - Wish you were hear

Greateful Dead - Reckoning

Phish - anything they are all good

Black Sabbath - Paranoid (play this one loud)

Or any good recording will do.

Play what You like the best,sit back and enjoy.

Jim, since you mentioned organ music I have to say that is a great instrument to hear on Cornwalls. And I did play an album that has some great Hammond B3, Mini-Moog Synthesizer,Clavietta,Wurlitzer and Clavietta. I just was a little sheepish about mentioning it. The Captain and Tennille`s Love Will Keep Us Together. A gift from my Mom back in `75 the same day I got my first stereo, a Zenith Wedge. Remember those. The record still looks and sounds great. I did`nt have the heart to list it with everything else I`ve seen on this thread. Classic!3.gif

----------------

On 4/26/2003 9:37:42 AM fini wrote:

Doug,

I seem to remember a "first time" story involving you and Ross Taylor in some motel in Arkansas...

fini
----------------

No scoop there, my friend. That's been well documented and reported on this ol' board -- Ross fired up a Heresy off a standard-issue hotel-room clock radio. You haven't lived until you've been awakened by the bleating of those soulful alarm buzzers through a Heritage speaker!!!

Doug...LOL, a Heresy alarm clock. That's rich!

Middle-man, I loved the way the 70's group Boston would use a Hammond B3 in their 3 albums...almost sounded like a synth the way they'd play it!

Wendy Carlos and her Moog synthesizers from the 70's and 80's also sound rich and full through a pair of Cornwalls; you can't beat a digital tune.

It doesn't matter whether a Hammond, Baldwin, Thomas, Conn, Rodgers, Allen, an Estey reed organ, a WurliTzer theatre organ, or a mighty E.M. Skinner 150 rank pipe organ, is playing through your Cornwalls...you should never feel sheepish about playing your organ tunes through them!

I don't recall a Zenith Wedge (I do have a few 40's and 50's vintage Zenith AM tube radios, though).