Scott 299-C tube amp

bkrop

This is long overdue as I have been listening to a Scott 299-C that Craig (NosValves) has restored and modified for me several weeks ago...1) OMG the sound of tubes vs SS gear is unbelievable! The increase in soundstage and dynamic range is astounding, with a lush articulate base that expected to be underpowered in my less than superefficient KG-4s(91 or 94 SPL w/4 ohm impedance. 2) Craig is a absolute professional to work with,prompt replies to email and personal interaction to establish a working relationship to restore/mod my amp. 3)My face hurts from smiling so much while listening to this dead silent wonder! 4) I was worried about biasing the amp but Craig included instructions and picture of the test points to make it a snap! 5) My wife has already let me know about the house shaking and 6)Jeez this restored amp is the greatest thing since sliced white bread! Thanks Craig! There is no icon for a big wet kiss but ...nevermind AWESOME sound!

9.gif

You are enjoying a real difference in sound. It will give you many long hours of enjoyment. SS can be very shrill with Klipsch speakers, especially the Heritage line.

Yes, Craig does great work! and doesn't mind quickly answering questions from those of us with less knowledge and experience.3.gif

Craig has somehow managed not to get to full of himself. He may be as stubborn as an old mule, but he's not big headed or arrogant. He definitely knows some things about amps.

Yeah, once you experience a decent tube set up -- the thought of going back to solid state is laughable.

I haven't bought any 7591 tubes yet but I have come across more than a few, along with plenty of telefunken ecc83 that I am keeping an eye out for. I have also run accross adaptor sockets to allow use of 6GM5 tubes to replace the 7591 but I am going to go stick with them as long as possible.

"Yeah, once you experience a decent tube set up -- the thought of going back to solid state is laughable"

"Maybe torturous would be a closer term"

Sounds like the words of the owners of earbleeders.9.gif

Keith

Hi!

If you are looking for a 7591 the Electo-Harmonix EH7591A is a nice sounding tube if you have not heard it yet, I have used it in my Macintosh 225 with great results. It is one of the few new production tubes that I can say I like. The only thing that might be a problem is that they are taller then the old production tubes and might be a problem is you want to put the amp in a wooden case. You can see this tube at (thetubestore.com)1.gif