Cornwall II

jdiaz

Hello, I am a new member on the board but an old fan of Klipsch speakers. I have been having problems with one of my Cornwall speakers, getting some static and distortion. I replaced my CD player, had my reciever checked out, and replaced my speaker wire and found that the same speaker is still giving me problems. I also switched the speaker to the other side and have found no change. I may have to find some where to send it in for service. Anyone have any ideas or thoughts. thanks

Wellcome to the board....im sure we can help you out,we need to know what model cornwall you have.....if the back has screws in it take it off.....check all connections.....unplug and wiggle...could be corrosion on connections.If the problem stays with the same speaker all the time....thats good kinda..lol.If you do a search you can see pictures on the board of insides of cornwalls so you will be more at ease at looking inside it.Static is usually easy to fix.Dont be afraid to ask more stuff...we will help...Rick9.gif

Could be one of several problems. If you've checked the obvious connections at the speaker and at the receiver or amp end too. Sometimes a stray wire at the power source could be touching metal or other stray wires.

If the above are ruled out, check to determine the actual driver as stated earlier. Many times those thin tinsel wires on the voice coil are the culprit, or a crossover component could be beginning to fail.

Are the backs on yours Cornwalls removable? If so they are Cornwall I's or very early II's with Vertical Mounted Horns. The backs are not removable on the later Cornwall II's. It helps to know which model you have. You will get plenty of help once you isolate the problem.

Good luck in tracking it down.

Edit: Oops..Says Cornwall II in the topics subject. Def..def..def..definitely didn't read the subject. Yeah!

Well, I have determined that I have Cornwall II speakers and it appears that after taking the front off the speaker and listening carefully, I think the mid ranger horn or driver is the problem. It has some static and will cut out every now and then. It goes from low to full sound and it did so when I wiggled the wires connected to the horn or mid range driver. My question is what next? Should I replace the wires or is the horn gone or is there something more gone wrong. Thanks2.gif

I have determined that the mid-range horn or driver is the one giving me problems and it goes out and comes back to full sound. The connections look ok. The wires connect easily to the horn and then they are soldered to where the some kind of transistor board exists where the speaker wire hooks up to the reciever. Can a local dealer determine if the horn is faulty or if the board with the transistors is faulty?

I have replaced the connectors with new ones and it still does the same thing. Is there a way to have the horn checked out. And is there a way to have the transistor board that the wire connect to from the horn evaluated. How does one know if the transistor is ok.

The transitor thing is called a crossover....they usually dont go out....so i would replace the wire from the solder joints to the horns....not hard to do,,,,should fix the problem.If you wiggled the wires and it comes and goes then its got to be the wires or the connections....not rocket science ..lol...You might try re soldering the conection first... use soldering iron and just remelt the solder joint....might just be a bad solder joint.let us know how it goes...plenty of help on here for you....Rick9.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I have done so and what I did was replace the wires and took the mid-range driver from the other speaker and placed it in the problem one and it still does the same thing. I have contacted Klipsch and have sent the crossover to be rebuilt. I would have bought a new one but they do not make them anymore and I don't have the confidence to do it myself. But I do appreciate all the advice and I have obtained new knowledge to share and build on. thanks2.gif