Rebuilt and ready to go 299A

NOSValves

Okay I won't going into the story behind this amp but I have been told to sell it. I rebuilt this amp about 4 months ago and been waiting to give to who was to be its new owner. The seller now told me to sell it. Its a long story but I did the works to this baby as the pictures will show. The amp was rebuilt using Russian Film in Foil on all coupling position and Orange Drops in non critical positions. The Phono Section was rebuilt using Kiwame resistors sweet sounding and would be shame if this wasn't put to good use. All plate resistors replace and matched. This amp was going to get a photo shoot so I went the extra mile and wrapped all the leads of every capacitor and Kiwame resistor in matching teflon this doesn't have any sonic benefit but it looks cool. The bias adjust mod is in place this amp is ready to roll and sounds great !!

Tubes

4- Raytheon USA 7189's all test great and bias great

2- Great britian 6BL8's test like new

2- RCA black plate 12Ax7 test great

2- Raytheon 12AX7 test great

This one is going for $475 plus shipping at whatever it costs $10 to $20. As always first confirmed sale gets the amp.

Here the photo's

299front.jpg

299top.jpg

299under.jpg

Kiwame.jpg

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It really isn't a issue of which is better, Because there almost Identical. The 299B has more headroom and better lower end extention its better suited to hard Rock or heavy transient laces music. The 299A sound more open and detailed than the 299B at acoustic, Jazz generally more laid back music. But this is cutting hairs the difference is real small.

Craig

I've heard some say the Scott 99d isn't very good. I bought a pair a couple months ago, never had tubes before. I've matched them to some heresy IIs. Each came with 6 telefunken's (the 12ax/u7s), the rest are cheap slovak tubes.

I think it sounds very good, but have never owned other tubes before. Would I be better getting new 6L6 tubes? If so, what kind? Is 6L6 just not as good as the other types? I thought Mac's used 6L6 as well, but maybe not. Also, is the 99d a good amp?

Del,

I have a pair of 99D's and I agree they sound fine. The 6L6 is a different sounding tube. Its almost over tubey sounding . Real warm mid range ! I've never done much tube rolling with mine in fact I propably only have 10 hours of listening to them. I just like the 299 better I like the sound of 7189 tubes !! I also find adjusting 2 volume knobs to be a real pain in the butt !!

There is nothing wrong with the 99D at all !! I probably have some Old Stock 6L6's around here if your interested. I have no clue what there going for these day's but we can check the going rate on Ebay to see. I think I have about 6 or 8 of them so I'm sure I can match you up a nice quad !

Craig

Thanks,

I like the sound alot, just wasn't sure if I could gain a lot with better output tubes. I'm pretty sure I overpaid for these, but one was rebuilt a couple years ago, and I really liked the clean, uncluttered look. DO the NOS tubes you have sound materially better in other amps you have? I'm going to swap some tubes with my uncle, but I'm not sure what (brand)he has. Are your's sylvania or RCA (us made)?

The ones I have are all USA Sylvania , RCA and the like .I also have 4 Russian Military 6L6's I tried they all sounded about the same to me. I have never run the tubes in any other amps. My expereince with output tubes is they rarely make a large difference. The 6L6 amps are not something I see much of around here. If your uncle has some to try I would go that route if I was you first and them if you need some let me know !

The tubes I find to make the largest difference is the 12AX7 and you have the cream of the crop with those Telefunkens !! Your not going to do much better than those as long as they are all still in good shape. Do you have a tube tester you can get them tested on ?

Craig

I don't, but there is a high end audio store that sells and works on Mc tube amps. They should have one. Maybe I'll get them checked. If I decide to get new output, or any tubes I'll get a hold of you as I don't want to buy off ebay.

Incidently, I don't mind the dual volume controls - Kind of a conversation piece. I leave them set at about 6 o'clock and use the output on the cd player and tuner. I'm just amazed that these things can be almost 50 yrs old and sound so good.

This summer I'll take them to my uncle's and we'll hook them up to his EV Patrician's, to see what that would be like. It's the closest I can get to a klipshorn, kind of even looks like one, at least the basic shape...

They should sound great on the EV's !!

Your right about the simple clean circuit I like that too. All triode front end also !! Maybe some time I will run out of customers amps to rebuild and pull them out and play with them some more. I was tempted to rebuild them into Power amps on a conventional chassis. But who knows if I will ever find time for that !

Craig

Thanks for the insight Craig. Slightly off topic, what does "all triod front" or "Single Ended Front" mean when referring to tube. I'm assuming the triode front refers to the 3 input tubes, but what are the advantages of each. I've wanted to post this quetion for awhile, but its probably obvious to most out here except for me and a few other new guys to tubes. Thanks for any clearification on these. Thanks10.gif

All Triode front end and Single ended are terms to describe the type of tubes and the circuit there used in. Althougn I can not say I have ever heard single ended used to describe the front end. I've only heard of single ended being used as the output section. Single ended just means a single output tube per channel. SET means Single Ended Triode. All triode front end means all front end tubes are Triodes which is suppose to infer a cleaner more natural front end section. Most front end designs that are not All triode have one small section that is pentode and if done right there is no advantage or a very small one at that to all Triode. But many vintage makers in the 60's didn't implement it very well so this left a sour taste to some purest. I'm not one of them.

Craig