Rebuilt and ready to go 299A

NOSValves

v3pcbl,

If I remember correctly, it was posted once on this forum regarding the use of the gain control on cd players. I may be incorrect, if I am, I'm sure someone hear will clarify. I believe the best way to use the gain on a cd player is to turn it up all the way and use the volume control on your amps for the best dynamics & gain your system has to offer. This is what I've heard, you might want to experiment.

Tom

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Craig,

Sorry to butt in but you seem knowledgeable about tube gear. I've just recently purchased a pair of lascalas to replace the ones i sold 2 years ago. My problem lies in the state of all my old tube gear. Everything is down. I swear I don't remember everything being broke when it was put away. Tried the macs first,one amp breathes and the other motorboats after 10 or 15 minutes.The mkII's next.One amp won't fire up.st70 next..one output tube starts to meltdown! Sheesh,what's one to do. Listening to them thru an av and dvd player now.

In your opinion which would be the ones to redo first? And would you recommend any specifics? I apologise again for butting in, Randy

The macs sounded better to me so I guess it's a no brainer.Have you had any experience with macs?They are not a matched set.One has a transformer installed inside the bottom and there are other diffs.Where would one start?I've built an amplifier kit b/4 but knowledge I have not!Would I be wise to swap out all the caps? Randy

Yes and no Dean.They are different.Just got off the phone with Gail over at macintosh and they only have one schematic for these and I don't think it is the right one for either of these.I already have the one they have,it is for serial #'s 5F*** and later.My serials are #9** and 2F***.I don't know but can only surmise that 5F comes after 2F? Who knows?Thanks Dean,hmm,can't seem to print the whole picture here or at the website.

Randy ,

Just how different are the 2 amps from each other and from this schematic ? Are we talking drastic ?

I am not very familiar with Mac's. But a tube amp is a tube amp they all work on the same pricipals ! I would love to get my hands on them babies I bet they do dound stunning from the brief look at the circuit in the schematic.

Craig

Craig,

Do you have any more integrated tube amps that you will be selling?

I would like to pick up a good sounding unit.

Please let me know if something should come up in the future.

Thanks

Jim McClung

james.mcclung@med.va.gov

Craig,

The part about not being up on electronics is no joke. There are differences in some of the ratings (?) for caps and resistors. AND what appears to be a transformer in one that is not in the other?Choke maybe?I built a Hafler amp, simple enough but I'm not up on circuitry. Following instructions is my forte. Have repaired bad solder connections for friends but am an amoeba otherwise.

If I remember correctly you like Dynaco MKIII's. The II's I have can be built up close to the III's can't they? Do you use Curcio's boards or make your own?

Randy

Randy,

The Mark II's are some nice amps also and might be your better bet to learn more and do your experimenting with. It would be a total shame to mess up your Mac's. I used Triode Electronics front end board and liked it real well on the Mark III's and its the same for the Mark II . The Mark II are plugin ready for EL34 , 6550 or KT88's so tube rolling is endless.

Craig

Craig,

Another can of worms,tube rolling!On the MKIII's which was the prefered model for you,I'm guessing the 88's.I'm gonna go look at Triodes website but the mac's have to be fixed.Do you recommend any certain brand of capacitor?And where to find them?I figure just replace like with like.That is where it was a little scary.Some caps have different values in the two amps.I don't know why.

Randy

Yea I have used products from Triode and Curcio . I found them to be comparable quality wise. Although I used the Curcio on the ST-70 and Triode for the Mark III's so the comparison is hard to make. Like I've said before I was floored when done with the Mark III's.

There are many options for rebuilding the Power supply on the Mark II but I bet the easiest way for you to do it yourself is with the SDS cap board from Triode also. Make sure you upgrade the bias adjustment setup with there kit also.

Craig

Randy,

You can purchase both Kits for your Mark II's from Triode Electronics they will include everything required also purchase the Bias supply upgrade. You may want to buy some better main coupling caps for the front end board elsewhere. Auricaps are nice medium cost caps which I can supply you. Beware stuffing these boards require quick soldering skills you don't want to overheat the circuit board and lift the traces.

Craig

Hey Craig,

Just got in from golf,I'll be ordering the kit from Triode this week.I'm going to take some pics of the MKII's now and after.Gonna take 'em apart and get some chrome and polishing done.

This will be fun.......Randy

Hey Craig,ordered the board and bias kits last night.Can't wait to see them.Gonna take some pics tomorrow or sunday and start taking them apart.I'm thinking chrome on the base and trans covers.If you don't mind I'll probably be pickin as many brains as I can.1.gif The parts are on order for the mc's and received the stuff from mac today.

Randy

Randy,

You can unsolder the connections to the existing front end board if you like BUT make sure you number them as you do this is important. I wouldn't go to far in tearing it apart because the instructions are laid out as to make the upgrade to a complete amp I would hate for you to run into problems.

Do you have the original manual to the Mark II ?? If not let me know I have it in PDF format.

Craig

Hey Craig,

Thanks for all the help. On the mac's, they are just going to have caps and questionable components replaced and get back on top of the lascala's where they belong. On the other hand the MKII's are going to have a frame off restoration and customization. Their condition isn't good enough for them to be a collectors dream. They have extra holes in them and are pretty crappy cosmetically. I'll try and figure a way to post a few pics before they get fixed up. And I did find the manuals for building the MKII's so that will help. Any idea on where to get connection wire and such? Any recomendation on gauge and whether solid or braided? Thanks, Randy