New SVS PB2 plus

Bruinsrme

Dillon,

Just to be clear, the TV-12 and the db-12(plus driver) are both made by TC Sounds.

--------------------------------

Thanks for the clairification , the Ultra TV-12 looks much healthier than the db-12. Your link displays one nice looking rig!

I know it's hard, but you have to get past looks. There are many car audio drivers that look even more impressive than the Tumult or TV12, but when it comes right down to it they aren't even a 1/4 the driver either of those is.

Can't really do a B4 or B2 style sub with a Tumult. It was designed for a different purpose (small sealed, although IB and passive radiator will work as well). You'd underdamp it in an enclosure large enough to house sufficient porting for the air a Tumult can displace (which my guess is almost twice what a TV12 can).

Small and sealed,hmm Sunfire should design a "small" sub using the Tumult woofer in a sealed cabinet powered by the famous Bob Carver plate amp.

Should make a great combination

And also a PR sub,again using the Tumult and one ultra long throw custom PR.

Hey there Dustin:

Now that the AV-15 sub you recommended for me has been built & finally delivered by Acoustic Visions/Stryke, I am ready for PHASE TWO of drywall abuse.

What would be your considered opinion on an enclosure for a Tumult, using a relatively "small" enclosure for which the Tumult was designed approach?

Thanks,

J Stanton

3.gif

Hi guys,

We aren't using the big TC Sounds underhungs for several reasons.

1)weight

2)cost

3)size

4)minimal performance benefits

The B4+ is already a rather large, heavy, expensive unit. Making it quite a bit larger and heavier( and more costly) to fit in the underhungs didn't work for SVS at this time.

The PB-2+ are really meant as a self powered unit able to generate near reference/reference levels in medium to large rooms down to the 20-22hz range. They are big enclosures and won't be to everyone's liking, but it was one of the most common requests we have gotton at SVS over the years.

When comparing the PB-2s to the B4+, don't overlook the push/pull nature of the driver mounting in the B4+...that isn't an incidental advantage...

The pricing of the SVS *replacement* parts is purposely *high* to discourage rouge purchases of the gear. We don't sell any of the amps/drivers except as replacements. So we don't want a lot of folks clicking *buy* on any of our drivers just to DIY with them. (if they do, we email them explaining why we can't process the order).

In 3 years of business, we haven't charged for a single replacement part yet(well, we might charge if we don't get the original back at SVS, but then you are quickly refunded once you ship it back) that I can recall...so the pricing really isn't indicative of SVS trying to be competitive in the DIY markets or anything like that..:)

The B4+ is a very,very potent unit. (a full review with SPLs, THD,response, Impulse,and IMD will soon be published on the B4+ btw). We have been selling a few of the *unfinished* B4s lately. These are completely assembled, but the customer finish sands them and stains them to his taste. $1999 for that verison.

Also, don't assume that the B4+ is the most powerful thing we have built at SVS...not by along shot...

TV

----------------

On 5/2/2003 10:36:03 AM TVodhanel wrote:

When comparing the PB-2s to the B4+, don't overlook the push/pull nature of the driver mounting in the B4+...that isn't an incidental advantage...

TV

----------------

What kind of advantage does the push/pull design give you. I read it eliminates even order harmonics but what does that mean to my ear.

----------------

On 5/1/2003 8:14:47 PM DillonW wrote:

Dillon,

Just to be clear, the TV-12 and the db-12(plus driver) are both made by TC Sounds.

--------------------------------

Thanks for the clairification , the Ultra TV-12 looks much healthier than the db-12. Your link displays one nice looking rig!

----------------

Thanks Dillon. I recently moved into this house and some of my wires from the old setup weren't long enough so in the pictures they're hanging in the air.

I've replaced all the short wires and changed a few things. I sold the HK 520, bought an AVR325 and sold it on ebay before it was even in my system because I found a good deal and made a profit selling it on ebay. I then found a killer deal on a STR-DA5ES and put that on ebay yesterday because I can probably double what I paid for it.

I also put my Toshiba DVD player on ebay yesterday and I'm probably going to sell my CD player soon as well. Oh yeah, and I sold the Samson S1000/SVS Ultra. I already bought a Samson S1500 and I'm gonna build dual DIY Stryke AV15 subs.

I'm even thinking of selling my Klipsch to DIY a GR Research HT. I just don't know if I can handle the no horn's thing though.

----------------

On 5/2/2003 10:36:03 AM TVodhanel wrote:

Also, don't assume that the B4+ is the most powerful thing we have built at SVS...not by along shot...

TV

----------------

Thats actually pretty scary considering how impressive that one is.

"Also, don't assume that the B4+ is the most powerful thing we have built at SVS...not by along shot..."

I am sure TV and the SVS gang did build a few multi driver monsters using larger TC Sounds woofers

to experiment and compare.The house was ready to be taken down by sheer wall flexing power

At the moment my humble(not) setups can play as loud as any audio freak can stand and vibrate the floor with true sub human power.And I live in a building where each apartament is separated by thick concrete walls(no not a prison LOL).

Life is good when you have a dozen potent subs and more on the way

TV lives the ideal "sub human" dream!Design and build some of the very best subwoofers on the market