Found KG 4's for $55 @ garage sale

Dale A B

Thought I found the bargain of the year, but this pair of KG 4's has one bad k-8-k white poly woofer. I switched the woofers in one speaker and that is definitely it. I've searched the forum for replacement options and currently am not in dire need of a fix right now. My wife was not really happy with another set of speakers she doesn't need, but I wasn't going to leave a pair

of abandoned KLIPSCH speakers out on their own!

Speakers had their ID tags removed but they are 4 ohm, walnut,

and in very good condition - at least an 8 out of 10. Does not look like a "plant" had ever been sitting on top of these, with nice corners and no missing veneer. The seller stated that they had them stored for 2 years and her hubby was not available when I was asking questions, so after checking all of the drivers by eye, I made my offer of $50 from her marked price of $75. We settled at $55 with a pair of speaker stands thrown in, since it was not possible to listen to them first.

A very good speaker for the mid $400's they sold for in the 80's.

If anyone has "inexpensively" replaced an 8" driver with something suitable, please advise. Thanks!

NP Monster Magnet - God Says No

----------------

On 4/29/2003 9:47:10 AM STL wrote:

Call 1-800-KLIPSCH (ya bastard!) to get a replacement woofer.
2.gif

----------------

..and be prepared to pay 1.5 times ($80) what you paid for the KG-4's!

1.gif

Still a good deal...

fini

I wonder if SpeakerWorks or Simply Spreakers could help here? Both companies have web sites and offer replacement speakers from many different manufacturers. Haven't personally tried them for Klipsch, though.

If they can't replace it, they could recone it if they have the materials to do so. It may be a little cheaper than a new one, however if I was going to buy a new one I would replace both considering that those woofers are around 15-18 years old. They would also be equal sonically.

I knew that replacement woofers were $80.00 so I was looking for a recommendation of anyone who has found a cheaper alternative. You know the minute you replace one, another one

will go out, but I would start with a pair and save one of the K-8-K's. I 've gleened options from the search function so that'll do for now. I don't have a specific place for these so they would have to rotate thru my 2 channel system.

I'll probably be out there this weekend again looking for cheap electronics and speakers and LP's and CD's, etc. What are the odds of finding a pair of Cornwalls for under $200? Doht!

Thanks for the responses!

NP - Adema

If you a looking for a cheaper alternative then just get the surround repaired on all the woofers (or maybe two). Trying to find a "cheap" replacement woofer that is going to be as good as the K-8-K most likely isn't feasible. Unless you are buying at a garage sale, you typically get what you pay for! Since you got such a deal on those KG4s, I would think you would be okay with spending a little to get them back to tip-top shape.